Not doing so bad....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My OH persuaded me to do one. I told him to book a local one as I might jump ship so we did a med cruise. I got fed up of seeing so much food and the wastage. Didn’t like the entertainment. Our bed was xtremely comfortable though and the cabin nice. Unfortunately cruising is not for me
I also got fed up of the enormous quantity of food available, as I like to keep my weight down, and eating too much was very tempting.

But I really enjoyed cruising and would like to go again, but would prefer a much lower basic price and to pay for your meals separately. I felt I was subsidising all the obese cruisers.

I also got fed up of the enormous quantity of food available, as I like to keep my weight down, and eating too much was very tempting.

But I really enjoyed cruising and would like to go again, but would prefer a much lower basic price and to pay for your meals separately. I felt I was subsidising all the obese cruisers.
Excellent idea about paying for meals separately. I did a one week cruise on my own and enjoyed it. I was lucky that although I booked an inside cabin (solo supp 🤬), I was given a FREE upgrade to an outside with balcony !

Anyway I’m not a foodie and preferred to eat in the coffee shop/buffet areas rather than having to dress up and share a table with strangers and eat 7 courses.

Finding the cruise was an odd coincidence. I had a list of places I wanted to visit and I shopped around for flights, hotels, trains, coach tours etc but expensive as per for a singleton.

then I found the cruise that included the top 3 destinations on my list for that year. Bingo.

early last year I looked again and was just about to book when COVID came calling👺

Glad you enjoyed it EM. I was really hesitant when I booked my first cruise on one of the last voyagers of the QE2, but discovered there were a lot of ladies like me, and I had a hell of a time ! I could be on my own if I wanted, but company was there if I felt like it. I became addicted.

I know how popular cruises are, but that’s the one type of holiday I would never go on.
I thought the same but we did go on one and it had its good and bad points. Bad points, cabin not too clean on arrival and croissant snatchers/rude people and the good points, lovely staff, really nice people on our dinner table and I really liked getting a little taster of all the different places at the stops. I didn't eat too much as you often couldn't get near the food because of rather large people bursting out of their shorts pushing in front. Our lovely waitress in the lounge told us about an out of the way restaurant on a little used deck and that sorted the food shortage out as we had table service for as much or as little as we wanted. I would go again.

CC

Grizzy - tell me about it ! I did the online dating bit a few years ago, and I didn't so much look for romance, but viewed the 'dates' as someone to have a bit of lunch with, and with that mindset I wasn't disappointed, but it was a bonus if they were 'fanciable'.

I met a fair amount of 'characters', and those that used 'darlin' on a first meet would not progress to the 2nd date. I would think "oh, pleeease". Then there were the ones who despite being in my age group (a teenager in the 60's), would turn up looking like a grandad from the 1940's ! I'm not picky but I do have 'specifics' - clean nails are must, good teeth - also a must if they intend to be kissed, and general pride in their appearance. If things progressed further I would still insist on sharing any meal bills - never be beholding even at our age !

Yes I did meet some howlers, but also a lot of really nice chaps who were more than passable and made intelligent conversation - always a plus, and a few I met with more than a couple of times. You also have to suss those who claim to be 'separated' then find they are still living with the wife - but of course they 'lead separate lives' - yeah right. Recent widowers you quickly realise are still grieving, obviously can't cope on their own, and are looking for someone to cook the dinner.

However, I did meet the final love of my life although I didn't realise it at the time. Big problem - he lived in Zurich, Switzerland. Lots of correspondence for 6 months, photos and speaking on the phone. Then he visited his parents here in the UK, so we decided to meet up. Wow ! he stood waiting in the carpark of a motorway service station, and it was a bit of a heart skipping moment when you just 'knew'. I couldn't have been more 'breathless' if it was George Clooney standing there. Anyway, the romance kicked off big time, and as I was retired and he worked from home, we managed to alternate monthly visits to each other. This carried on for over a year while we discussed a more permanent arrangement, but it was not to be, he contracted oesophageal cancer, so I spent the following year spending more time over there, most of it visiting him in hospital (which knocks our NHS into a cocked hat re cleanliness and organisation), but he finally succumbed, and I lost him just 2 years after we met. They always say its better to have love and lost than never have loved at all - so true in my case.

His final wish was for his ashes to be spread in the gardens of the stately home where we had our first date - surprising for me because I expected him to want to be scattered near the Alps where he lived, but his sons respected his wishes, and so together with their families they brought them here, and we had a beautiful ceremony, after getting permission from the Head Gardener. A bench has been placed where his ashes rest, with a plaque in both English and Swiss German.
Bittersweet.
Lovely, 'true romance' story with a sad ending
Grizzy - tell me about it ! I did the online dating bit a few years ago, and I didn't so much look for romance, but viewed the 'dates' as someone to have a bit of lunch with, and with that mindset I wasn't disappointed, but it was a bonus if they were 'fanciable'.

I met a fair amount of 'characters', and those that used 'darlin' on a first meet would not progress to the 2nd date. I would think "oh, pleeease". Then there were the ones who despite being in my age group (a teenager in the 60's), would turn up looking like a grandad from the 1940's ! I'm not picky but I do have 'specifics' - clean nails are must, good teeth - also a must if they intend to be kissed, and general pride in their appearance. If things progressed further I would still insist on sharing any meal bills - never be beholding even at our age !

Yes I did meet some howlers, but also a lot of really nice chaps who were more than passable and made intelligent conversation - always a plus, and a few I met with more than a couple of times. You also have to suss those who claim to be 'separated' then find they are still living with the wife - but of course they 'lead separate lives' - yeah right. Recent widowers you quickly realise are still grieving, obviously can't cope on their own, and are looking for someone to cook the dinner.

However, I did meet the final love of my life although I didn't realise it at the time. Big problem - he lived in Zurich, Switzerland. Lots of correspondence for 6 months, photos and speaking on the phone. Then he visited his parents here in the UK, so we decided to meet up. Wow ! he stood waiting in the carpark of a motorway service station, and it was a bit of a heart skipping moment when you just 'knew'. I couldn't have been more 'breathless' if it was George Clooney standing there. Anyway, the romance kicked off big time, and as I was retired and he worked from home, we managed to alternate monthly visits to each other. This carried on for over a year while we discussed a more permanent arrangement, but it was not to be, he contracted oesophageal cancer, so I spent the following year spending more time over there, most of it visiting him in hospital (which knocks our NHS into a cocked hat re cleanliness and organisation), but he finally succumbed, and I lost him just 2 years after we met. They always say its better to have love and lost than never have loved at all - so true in my case.

His final wish was for his ashes to be spread in the gardens of the stately home where we had our first date - surprising for me because I expected him to want to be scattered near the Alps where he lived, but his sons respected his wishes, and so together with their families they brought them here, and we had a beautiful ceremony, after getting permission from the Head Gardener. A bench has been placed where his ashes rest, with a plaque in both English and Swiss German.
A lovely 'true romance' story, Bris, but with a tear jerk ending. If your friend had not succumbed to the Big C, your life today would be completely different. You kissed a lot of frogs (figuratively) before he turned up, so I admire your tenacity in continuing to date. You seem to be a daring person and it paid off. I am sorry for your loss. I am far too chicken to meet new people. I have requirements that are near on impossible to expect, such as: must be over 6 ft, must have a university degree, must speak grammatically, and on and on. Also I live in Italy, so I would have to ask for British only speakers. My Italian is too abysmal to hold a decent conversation. Oh well, I don't hate my cloistered life, but your story made me think that romance may still be possible.

a university degree

The thought of going on a cruise makes me shudder. I have this weird idea of getting stuck with a Klingon. Someone you meet chat with casually and then cannot get rid of. As in cling on.

Now I know people who have gone on them. One friend went twice and nightmare each time. Yes, sickness which hit the whole ship, second one sickness again not the whole ship but the couple she and her husband went with whining and demanding.

Strangely, a friend's son in his 20s went on one with his girlfriend's family and loved it.

We were given a cruise as a gift for my Mr T doing well at work 🥳 We flew with 8 colleagues & their spouses to Puerto Rico & then had ten days in the Caribbean. We were on the Radisson Diamond, she was the only twin-hull cruise ship ever built & carried 400 passengers & crew so was fairly sedate. We visited every island, both loved Martinique & if I could cope with the flights we would return. Thinking of LATI's search for a new bed the one we had on this lovely ship was the most comfortable one I've ever known; the staff were delightful, the girl who looked after our cabin knew how much I liked the china & gave me a cream jug on our last morning - "Don't worry madam, they get broken so we have hundreds but I know you'll look after this little one & it's our gift". Would I go again? Yes, if it was a small ship but he wouldn't, what we really want is to return to Sicily & a 3 star hotel that for the first time in more than a century is struggling to stay open.

That bought tears to my eyes Brissles vet very sad...sometimes I really wonder about life and how cruel it can be.

Thank you kindly for all your lovely responses. Yes, it was a very late romance. I was 61 when we met, and already a widow of 9 years, so at that age I certainly wasn't expecting to meet anyone - let alone someone who lived abroad. I couldn't believe myself that I was doing the things I was - hopping on and off trams in Zurich to and fro from the hospital at age 63 ! and not speaking a word of German. All this certainly wasn't on my radar. Certainly yes, my life would be so different now had he lived, but we play the cards we're dealt, and although we don't know what's around the corner (thank the Lord we don't !), those Grandad's from the 40's look a ****** sight worse now :eek: 10 years later, and they can look elsewhere for a dinner cooking carer 😂

Females looking for a pension and males looking for a housekeeper to be avoided at all costs.
Some of the men are also looking for a pension. I spend time in Spain and a friend of mine wound up one of the half available (because h was seeing a friend of ours with a car) and told him I was a millionaire. I arrived at the bar and I suddenly had a man cozy up to me. I wasn’t enamoured but he persisted until the car friend arrived and he joined her.

I agree. Following a (financially) challenging divorce I have managed to pull things together and have security with a little comfort. While I would like another party to share my twilighting years with all I seem to meet are conmen out to see what they can get. Ah well just as well I am happy as a single lol

I used to have This Morning on in the background, but I won’t be watching it until they’re off the screen and Phil and Holly are back. I can’t stand either of them I’m afraid.

Latest posts

Back