OH, Pleeeeease !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

When I left school at 16 my Mum told me that if I wanted anything I would have to work to pay for it, as she couldn't afford to provide me with clothes or make up. This was 1965 when a Rimmel lipstick was 1/6d, a pair of Bengal Bronze or American Tan tights were 1/11d and a 'good' pair of shoes were 49/11d. My starting salary a week was just under £5. of which I had to give half to my mum for my keep. Ten shillings on weekly bus fare and I was left with £2 /10/00d for the week. Lots of kids I'm told don't even pay their parents any housekeeping !!! no wonder they have no grasp of money.

When I left school at 16 my Mum told me that if I wanted anything I would have to work to pay for it, as she couldn't afford to provide me with clothes or make up. This was 1965 when a Rimmel lipstick was 1/6d, a pair of Bengal Bronze or American Tan tights were 1/11d and a 'good' pair of shoes were 49/11d. My starting salary a week was just under £5. of which I had to give half to my mum for my keep. Ten shillings on weekly bus fare and I was left with £2 /10/00d for the week. Lots of kids I'm told don't even pay their parents any housekeeping !!! no wonder they have no grasp of money.
All the same as me, except I didn't buy lipstick and tights.

Same here Brissles.

Love this! Brought back so many memories. When I first started out with make up, I used to just commandeer my mum's stuff. Then along came Constance Carrol make up that you could buy in the local drugstore for 25p a piece, they even did black lipstick and nail varnish for the Goths! Bless my mum, when I was a teenager, she'd give me the child benefit money so I could buy clothes, make up etc....happy days!

I got £4/12s when I started work. Gave mum and dad half and rest I could do what I wanted with, up to a point. If I needed new clothes though I had to pay for them myself, (I remember hating American Tan tights, awful colour). I didn't think I was hard done to, all my friends were having to do the same.

My first week's wage was spent on having my ears pierced and second week was a pair of Scholl wooden sandals. I also got 10/- a week working Friday nights at my uncle's chip shop and cafe. Those were the days, they were actually quite happy days.

I did have a grant to live on when I first started college (mid 60’s) can’t remember how much but it had to cover everything, rent for bed sit, food, all college materials,bus fares, train home at end of term etc. I just made it stretch for the term but once went overdrawn by about £2 ( think I’d bought myself a scarf!). My Father went mad it was there on the bank statement in RED, was cleared immediately.Never happened again.

Due to the manager being off sick with Covid and another staff member being on holiday I have worked from 08.00 to 18.00 for the last nine days without a break.
I am 66 years old, my younger colleagues were reluctant to do more that their contracted hours because it would be 'too tiring' and would affect their benefits.
We are advertising for another staff member but have had zero interest...it seems like nobody want to work for a living any more.

The advertising media is trying a similar and promotional method with death. Making death accessible. Making dying a lovely treat when you think of all the fun your loved ones are going to have with the money from the insurance policy that you take out, with the company telling you dying is now the most fun you can have with your burial suit on. Yes, death is the new Rock & Roll. You must try it sometime the groovy final expenses companies tell us. But not before you’ve paid out ten times more to us than you’ll get back. Believe me. Having seen three loved ones, die the most appalling deaths, death is far from funny. Death is not something to look forward to as a selling tool for an ad, and death is not something that should be treated so lightly in these new form of commercials that we see. The last taboo should be the last taboo to remain. But TV companies and shopping television channels to a degree see it differently.

The trouble is nothing is private and nothing is unsaid longer. This never was the type of world I wanted to see, where nobody holds back any longer about anything. But there we are, that’s the way it’s gone. And no doubt it will go further with all these types of issues.

The advertising media is trying a similar and promotional method with death. Making death accessible. Making dying a lovely treat when you think of all the fun your loved ones are going to have with the money from the insurance policy that you take out, with the company telling you dying is now the most fun you can have with your burial suit on. Yes, death is the new Rock & Roll. You must try it sometime the groovy final expenses companies tell us. But not before you’ve paid out ten times more to us than you’ll get back. Believe me. Having seen three loved ones, die the most appalling deaths, death is far from funny. Death is not something to look forward to as a selling tool for an ad, and death is not something that should be treated so lightly in these new form of commercials that we see. The last taboo should be the last taboo to remain. But TV companies and shopping television channels to a degree see it differently.

The trouble is nothing is private and nothing is unsaid longer. This never was the type of world I wanted to see, where nobody holds back any longer about anything. But there we are, that’s the way it’s gone. And no doubt it will go further with all these types of issues.
♥️♥️

The funeral adverts with the middle class people (presumably with a few quid in the bank) annoy me. They don't want their families trying to find the money to pay for their funeral. Surely the deceased leaves some money in savings?

Even my mum had amassed about £7,000 in savings, and she had a funeral endowment policy which she paid in to for a set number of years and it paid out when she died. It wasn't one of these "over 50" plans where you pay in until the day you die and probably pay in way more than you get out. They were brilliant and paid up within about 4 days. Even with the normal red tape with her two banks I think I got the money within a couple of weeks at most.

And there was no rush to pay for the funeral, I vaguely remember paying an amount immediately, a bit more a month later, then the balance another couple of months after that. It was five years ago so my memory may be sketchy but I didn't have to pay it all straight away.

Yet all these people in the adverts die without a penny to their name. And I certainly wasn't in the mood to celebrate with a huge party as the adverts suggest we should.

Rowan, I'm so sorry for your loss, you must have suffered a lot dealing with the dementia as well❤️
Thank you for your really kind words. I really wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy, my life has been on hold for the past seven years and whilst I don’t regret a single moment I spent with her, it has taken its toll. Even if she didn’t know who I was most of the time!

Latest posts

Back