Ophelia

• Thread starter Deleted member 22840
  • Start date
ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Would that be Sarf London ?

I'm not going to denigrate all teachers, but when I see them in schools (and my niece is a Head Teacher), it doesn't seem to be in their remit to pull up children on their method of speech.. Even a simple sentence "it ain't right Miss" should be corrected at the point its spoken. Sadly many teachers are not exactly articulate themselves, so children haven't a chance. Accent is not a problem but enunciation is.

In my school days - 1953 to 1965, yes it was a different time, but our teachers looked, dressed and behaved like our parents, so if we played up we were disciplined, if we spoke in slang we were corrected, but teachers today look, and dress like our older siblings so the lines become blurred.

As for 'guys', I rebel. Just let anyone dare to call me 'guy' in a shop/restaurant or bar, and I call them out on it. Even when I'm handed a bottle of drink instead of a glass I say "do I look like the sort of person who would drink out of a bottle ? " If we all give in who knows where it will end.
When I was in the infant and Junior school 1953 to 1959 we had to stand when any adult entered the class room. I don't think it carried over into Grammar School.
I remember one Christmas at my gran's my uncle came in with one of his friends I hadn't seen before and I stood up.
I use punctuation and capitals when texting BUT have been guilty of using ,"guys"quite a few times.🤭🥺

When I was in the infant and Junior school 1953 to 1959 we had to stand when any adult entered the class room. I don't think it carried over into Grammar School.
I remember one Christmas at my gran's my uncle came in with one of his friends I hadn't seen before and I stood up.
I use punctuation and capitals when texting BUT have been guilty of using ,"guys"quite a few times.🤭🥺
God that brings back memories of when I brought one of my first boyfriends round to mine. I remember going in him meeting my mum, saying hello and then we went into the living room to watch tv. My dad came home from work walked into the room and said hello, of course the fella said hi good to meet you and that was that. After he went home, my dad told me that he didn't like him and under no circumstances was he allowed back in the house. When I asked why, he told me it was because he didn't stand up when he entered the room! I tried to explain that the fella was a nice guy but obviously nervous, but my dad wasn't having any of it. It didn't turn out to be a serious relationship so it wasn't an issue, but in this day and age he'd have been lucky if the guy had even looked up from his phone! Still, I think my dad was waaaay over the top!

I only had to stand up when a teacher entered the room while at grammar school, never infants or juniors.

One of the teachers was in the TA and imposed army discipline. When he entered the room and we all stood up, he would clap his hands, and if he could see anyone who was a bit late sitting down he would punish them. Also, he would sometime pretend to clap, and if anyone sat down then, they would also be punished.

And when he gave "lines" he would make them so long that you couldn't do them word by word down the page. I remember getting "Sooner or later I will realise that chewing in the classroom will be to my disadvantage".

I only had to stand up when a teacher entered the room while at grammar school, never infants or juniors.

One of the teachers was in the TA and imposed army discipline. When he entered the room and we all stood up, he would clap his hands, and if he could see anyone who was a bit late sitting down he would punish them. Also, he would sometime pretend to clap, and if anyone sat down then, they would also be punished.

And when he gave "lines" he would make them so long that you couldn't do them word by word down the page. I remember getting "Sooner or later I will realise that chewing in the classroom will be to my disadvantage".
Our Geography teacher was an ex footballer a really great man and idolised by everyone.
When he gave lines it started at 10 and we all went yay after that it increased and every groan increased it more.
The lines were " there is a time for working and a time for playing and when I'm supposed to be working I shouldn't be playing".
He never asked to see them so most of us never did them.
He was sacked by the education dept after going abroad with his old football team,that was in our 3rd year.
Many times if he saw me waiting for a bus after I started work he would stop and give me a lift in his car.

Oh, its refreshing to hear someone else refer to "infants" and "juniors". I know where I am with that age group, and get completely confused when today's generation talk of Year 4, year 8, year 10 etc etc. I think, "and what age would that be then ?" --- another import from America no doubt. In my village they used to refer to 'lower, middle and upper' school, so that was more in line with my thinking.

Latest posts

Back