Perfume?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ah, probably only anyone over 65 will remember that Embassy was the name of Woolworth's own brand for their 45 records - the pop music of the day recordings but not by the original artists. So say Cilla Black's "Anyone who had a Heart" would be sung by some obscure female singer. That's why they were cheaper than the genuine article. I think if I remember correctly that I paid 6/4d (31p) for a 45, but the Embassy version would be about 1/6d (6p).
I don't remember them, but the next best thing was the Top of the pops albums you could buy in the newsagent which featured all the latest hits but sung by some kind of house band, I think they probably about 75p or less to buy. I remember my mum purchased one for me and it included a track by everybody's favourite Gary Glitter😯. I remember in the school playground all the girls boasting about all the records they'd got, and I was chipping in yes, I've got that one I've got that one (all on my totp album), then one girl asked me whether I liked the song on the other side of Gary Glitter and I didn't have the first clue what she was on about, I said how do you mean? and she said the other side of the record. She managed to ascertain that it was one of these cheapo fakes I'd got, to be fair she didn't give me any grief about it but I did feel pretty embarrassed!

Ah, probably only anyone over 65 will remember that Embassy was the name of Woolworth's own brand for their 45 records - the pop music of the day recordings but not by the original artists. So say Cilla Black's "Anyone who had a Heart" would be sung by some obscure female singer. That's why they were cheaper than the genuine article. I think if I remember correctly that I paid 6/4d (31p) for a 45, but the Embassy version would be about 1/6d (6p).
I bought lots of Embassy records (still got them) and some were as good as the originals. But they weren't as cheap as 1/6d, I think they were about 1/2 the price of normal 45s so about 3/6d (17P). I also bought full price 45s, mainly by Buddy Holly.

BTW I hadn't read the perfume thread before, as it wouldn't interest me, then I tried it, and lo and behold, it is now about records, and even Buddy Holly now!

So perhaps I should look at all the posts, including makeup and dresses. I hope OH doesn't notice, she may think I am "turning".

I always hated those type of records much in the same way I hate all those bliddy tribute bands, for me it’s the original or nothing

We have a smallish theatre nearby and their winter spring programme arrived yesterday - tribute bands made up 75% of the offerings which made me go into grumpy old bat mode. I would rather have a mediocre original than a better tribute.

the following is a post from glassdoor.​

A great starting point

18 Apr 2020 - Presenter in London, England
Recommend
CEO Approval
Business Outlook
Pros
Great discount Good location Fun team
Cons
I loved my job on QVC, being a fan of all things funky and neat, I couldn’t wait to get my claws into my new job on my favourite channel. Unfortunately after about 3 months, things took a turn. One day I noticed that one of the more recognisable presenters had started selling my coat live on TV!! I couldn’t believe it. I thought it was a joke at first, but then it sold ! No 60 day return policy or easy payment which made it unaffordable for me to buy back. The addiction some of the cast have for selling is unbelievable, they’d sell the set if it wasn’t nailed down. And it literally has to be for this reason!
Advice to Management
Don’t sell absolutely EVERYTHING !

Yes I remember them well. Mum was a music ‘purist’ and would never buy them, she and Dad listened to the BBC’s Light Programme on the wireless.

I had to listen to pirate radio for my fix of ‘pop music’ until Radio 1 arrived.

I remember trying to tune into radio Luxemburg on a tiny radio late at night as a young teen. You had to keep retuning as it moved around. Starman, I remember Starman being played a lot. Yes, laying in bed under the covers and my mum shouting for me to go to sleep as I had school the next day. Strangely, the best reception was on my granny's big old fashion radio in the living room

the following is a post from glassdoor.​

A great starting point

18 Apr 2020 - Presenter in London, England
Recommend
CEO Approval
Business Outlook
Pros
Great discount Good location Fun team
Cons
I loved my job on QVC, being a fan of all things funky and neat, I couldn’t wait to get my claws into my new job on my favourite channel. Unfortunately after about 3 months, things took a turn. One day I noticed that one of the more recognisable presenters had started selling my coat live on TV!! I couldn’t believe it. I thought it was a joke at first, but then it sold ! No 60 day return policy or easy payment which made it unaffordable for me to buy back. The addiction some of the cast have for selling is unbelievable, they’d sell the set if it wasn’t nailed down. And it literally has to be for this reason!
Advice to Management
Don’t sell absolutely EVERYTHING !
Good joke. They'd take the coat off someone's back to sell it. And
they do sell everything, apart from underwear, and, imo, they should if they consider themselves a department store.

I don't remember them, but the next best thing was the Top of the pops albums you could buy in the newsagent which featured all the latest hits but sung by some kind of house band, I think they probably about 75p or less to buy. I remember my mum purchased one for me and it included a track by everybody's favourite Gary Glitter😯. I remember in the school playground all the girls boasting about all the records they'd got, and I was chipping in yes, I've got that one I've got that one (all on my totp album), then one girl asked me whether I liked the song on the other side of Gary Glitter and I didn't have the first clue what she was on about, I said how do you mean? and she said the other side of the record. She managed to ascertain that it was one of these cheapo fakes I'd got, to be fair she didn't give me any grief about it but I did feel pretty embarrassed!
I remember the Top of the Pops cheapo versions, I had some of them. As for Gary Glitter, a relative worked for him in the 90s when he used to do his Christmas concerts in big venues like Wembley Arena. He used to repeatedly rant at the musicians and sacked them every night. Why they turned up for the next show I dont know, let him do a big show with no band!

I bought lots of Embassy records (still got them) and some were as good as the originals. But they weren't as cheap as 1/6d, I think they were about 1/2 the price of normal 45s so about 3/6d (17P). I also bought full price 45s, mainly by Buddy Holly.

BTW I hadn't read the perfume thread before, as it wouldn't interest me, then I tried it, and lo and behold, it is now about records, and even Buddy Holly now!

So perhaps I should look at all the posts, including makeup and dresses. I hope OH doesn't notice, she may think I am "turning".
Definitely, threads often go completely off course, it only needs one comment and we're off in a new direction! Strato, just explain that the thread was about perfume initially but has now moved on to torches and we needed some expert advice🤣.

By the way, I don't remember Embassy records (I'm a mere youngster of 55). But I do remember attempting to buy vinyl records in Woolworths but before you left the store you had to check if they put the correct record in as more often than not they'd just chuck anything in there😠😩.

Latest posts

Back