Pointless Descriptions

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

yorkrose26

Registered Shopper
Hello fellow posters!

I thought I would start a thread based on the title, this may not necessarily be in the QVC world but in the word in general.

I have just caught a little bit of a clothing show and the description was ‘pull on trousers’, please someone answer me a question how else would one put on trousers?

Anyone got any others, or even any answers to the above (probably rhetorical) question!

I've heard presenters on fashion shows say that you can just throw a dress on and go. Anyone else tried that method of dressing in a morning? Knowing my aim I'd miss and have to pick it up off the floor and try again!

Moving away from fashion, I like it when they talk in the make-up hours about "putting your face on" in the morning before you leave for work: my face stays with me all day, whether I'm leaving for work or not (often when I glance in the mirror I wish I could say otherwise....):mysmilie_17:

I've heard presenters on fashion shows say that you can just throw a dress on and go. Anyone else tried that method of dressing in a morning? Knowing my aim I'd miss and have to pick it up off the floor and try again!

Moving away from fashion, I like it when they talk in the make-up hours about "putting your face on" in the morning before you leave for work: my face stays with me all day, whether I'm leaving for work or not (often when I glance in the mirror I wish I could say otherwise....):mysmilie_17:

Reminds me of Eleanor Rigby '..wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door..'. So beautifully written. I digress, sorry.

Actually, 'pull-on trousers' is an understood description of trousers that don't require a zip and button/hook and eye fastening: in other words, you just have to pull them on and that in itself is enough - further demonstration from pictures and tv presentations/videos would make that doubly clear. The theme of 'pointless descriptions', would perhaps be better explored (and renamed) under the subject heading of 'pointless reviews' - there are far more of them about: e.g. "beautiful". "this is really nice", "happy with this", "terrible" and so on and so on, rather than giving a detailed description of how an item performs or fits.

Actually, 'pull-on trousers' is an understood description of trousers that don't require a zip and button/hook and eye fastening: in other words, you just have to pull them on and that in itself is enough - further demonstration from pictures and tv presentations/videos would make that doubly clear. The theme of 'pointless descriptions', would perhaps be better explored (and renamed) under the subject heading of 'pointless reviews' - there are far more of them about: e.g. "beautiful". "this is really nice", "happy with this", "terrible" and so on and so on, rather than giving a detailed description of how an item performs or fits.

I agree. It bemuses me that people will go to the effort of leaving a review about a product they have yet to receive or use just to say it looked nice or that they think it'll suit the spare bedroom. And yet those get posted but a genuine critical review will be rejected - I don't get it.

A pointless review to me are the ones people leave after watching a show and before they receive the item: "Just saw this top/foundation/kitchen equipment demonstrated, and it looks FAB! 5 stars!" What's the point of that?

A pointless review to me are the ones people leave after watching a show and before they receive the item: "Just saw this top/foundation/kitchen equipment demonstrated, and it looks FAB! 5 stars!" What's the point of that?

Yes but lets be fair the realistic reviews that the presenters give and the totally honest reviews that they give of course people are going to think that they have the items, without actually purchasing the items (tongue may have been slightly in cheek there!)

One still has to "pull on" other types of trousers; maybe these should be called "pull-on-and-fasten the zip" trousers?

I'm relieved that buyers don't take Glen Campbell literally when he suggests wearing a garment "with a little pump" :mysmilie_849:

OK touche I never actually thought of it like that, guess the fact that all my trousers are 'pull-on' then I wouldn't have grasped anything different, thank you for pointing out my obvious inadequacies :mysmilie_14:

I hate the "dress up or dress down" suggestion for an item of clothing.

Personally I just dress appropriately for what I'm doing or where I'm going, I don't take a beautiful dress pop on a saggy old cardi a pair crocs and a bobble cap and think yep that's me dressed down for the day!

I see what they are getting at but it always makes me laugh and frankly some of QVC's fashion can never be dressed up imho :)

When they say that these little pull-ons would be great for the school run, what is a 'gal' meant to do if it's been thirty years since her last school run? :mysmilie_15:

LOL!! No, I can confirm that my face isn't kept in a jar by the door - there's no room, as we've already got a big wall unit there! :mysmilie_17: Eleanor Rigby is one of my favourites too (along with "Here, There and Everywhere").
Reminds me of Eleanor Rigby '..wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door..'. So beautifully written. I digress, sorry.
a

Latest posts

Back