QVC price points.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
I know it has been discussed on here before, but I am getting shocked at how high QVC's prices are becoming. Not just the prices that they charge on-air but the prices they seem to think the products are worth. During demonstrations, we'll often hear the presenter say that "this kit is £150 value..." and I have to wonder where that value comes from. A quick check round the 'net reveals that the kit or products in the kit are nowhere near that expensive and that the average 'street price' is well under QVC's asking price. Do they consider themselves to be a high-end department store equivalent and, thus, compare their prices to the likes of Harrods and Harvey Nicholls? It seems more and more they are pricing themselves into the celebrity market and ignoring good old Joe Public. It was last night's Gale Hayman show that really bought it to light. A set of 6 lipsticks was being shown that we were told was a £90 value. Honestly, would people really pay that much for a handful of lip colours? What happened to having a colour that you loved and wore with everything until the devastating day that the manufacturer discontinued it? It's almost as though having the TV screen between the customer and the product acts as some sort of hypnotic lure that makes people pay silly money for rubbish they wouldn't even look at in a regular shop. I just won't fall for it any more.

30 Mbg and interest free easy pays have to be paid for somehow. None of the retailers who are cheaper offer either of these. It was always the same if you think back to the old days of the catalogue. Q is just the modern day version of this.

I notice this with many of the gardening products they really are very expensive particularly when you add the p@p.

qvc are very expensive but I suppose their target market is more geared towards shoppers with more money than average and like shopping with qvc.

qvc are very expensive but I suppose their target market is more geared towards shoppers with more money than average and like shopping with qvc.

Or people who don't have internet access to shop around and can't visit the dreaded high street?

Well everyone on this forum has at one time or another purchased quite a bit from Q then I would say they have a fairly diverse range of customers, not just "poor souls who can't buy elsewhere" although I admit my high street is totally made up of charity shops and building societies

I buy things I cant get easily elsewhere. I live a few minutes from the west end, and a lot of things qvc sell are not great vfm.

I think a lot of QVCs customers are women in their mid sixties to 80s who have good disposable incomes and are not that bothered about the price. I am amazed at the prices of the items that sell out in the mornings.

I don't complain about QVC prices, and won't pay high prices ANYWHERE. I tend to use Q as a research facility. Then take everything I have learned and buy on eBay. The only times I buy from Q is when I can't find the item cheaper elsewhere, or think I may need the 30 day mbg.

Everyone with access to this forum has access to comparative shopping, search engines and eBay. So if the prices are too high, then just get the item elsewhere. I mean, how often do you really need 5 items in a kit, when there is only one you think you need?

And until recently I lived 20 miles from a medium supermarket and small high street, and 50 miles from a cinema. For this reason I will never complain about p&p prices because I know exactly how much it would have cost me to find and get things home - not counting the travel time and shoe leather that would have been needed!

Last edited:
I have only purchased 2 items from e bay. One was as described (a pen) but the one beauty item was not as described or as photographed. There was no invoice or address details to contact so I vowed never to trust it again.

However having purchased the last Mally TSV set I have also decided not to buy any sets from Q either as I only liked 1 item in the set.

I must admit, eBay has its downsides, but they have introduced several sensible measures aimed at buyer protection and even a dispute centre, so you might find things a lot more reliable nowadays.

Having said that, I accept that a small percentage (guessing at 5-10%) of my eBay shopping is an unmitigated disaster! But I consider these 'acceptible losses' because overall I make such HUGE savings. Just done some calculations and totted up that by shopping on eBay rather than the Q/highstreet, in the last month, I have saved over £200, incl postage costs. Full price would have been £350ish (bioeffect egf, M&S underwear, Almased, Sambucol, pet munchies and sara macnamara makeup) but, including postage, I've paid less than £140 for it all.

AND I've avoided the Horrid High St, petrol, parking, and the obligatory latte at Costa...

Come to think of it, I must point out to Mr C what a thrifty shopper I am! All he sees are the parcels - he isn't always aware of the savings I make. Not that he pays for ANY of it! Grin.

Last edited:
I don't complain about QVC prices, and won't pay high prices ANYWHERE. I tend to use Q as a research facility. Then take everything I have learned and buy on eBay. The only times I buy from Q is when I can't find the item cheaper elsewhere, or think I may need the 30 day mbg.

Everyone with access to this forum has access to comparative shopping, search engines and eBay. So if the prices are too high, then just get the item elsewhere. I mean, how often do you really need 5 items in a kit, when there is only one you think you need?

And until recently I lived 20 miles from a medium supermarket and small high street, and 50 miles from a cinema. For this reason I will never complain about p&p prices because I know exactly how much it would have cost me to find and get things home - not counting the travel time and shoe leather that would have been needed!

A woman after my own heart!

I have only purchased 2 items from e bay. One was as described (a pen) but the one beauty item was not as described or as photographed. There was no invoice or address details to contact so I vowed never to trust it again.

However having purchased the last Mally TSV set I have also decided not to buy any sets from Q either as I only liked 1 item in the set.

I agree with Crinkly, ebay has pretty good procedures in place for if things aren't as described, don't arrive etc. I've only ever had a couple of instances of this sort of thing happening but when they have I've easily had things resolved via ebay. The fact that the item arrives without the senders details doesn't matter, the issue gets taken up through ebay themselves who act to sort it out.

Qvc is like window shopping for me, watch the demos and then buy from somewhere else cheaper lol

The title of this thread amused me - would any of us have used the term 'price point' prior to tuning in to QVC?

Grrrr..... one of my pet peeves. Why is it a price point? Why is it not just a price? Is QVC trying to con us into thinking that the actual price to us is round about what they're advertising and may even by a teensy bit cheaper? Would we say, "the price point to you is..." or "the price to you is..."?

splutter......

Plain English rules ok.

I can only agree with what several of you have all ready said Q is useful for seeing things demonstrated and in the past I would have used the 30DMG but as have just closed my account I won't even be doing that.
I have recently sold some Nails inc on Ebay and had no end of issues over the colour of the polish I knew my pictures weren't all that clear so I listed each polish by name and suggested that the buyers had a look on the Nails inc web site to make sure it was the right colour for them. I still had 3 people complain that the polish they received didn't match the picture so I had no choice but to give them their money back. So yes being an ebay seller has its down side.

I still had 3 people complain that the polish they received didn't match the picture so I had no choice but to give them their money back. So yes being an ebay seller has its down side.

Bloomin' cheek! As an inveterate ebayer, I think whinging and blaming the seller because the settings on your monitor are off is unacceptable!

Latest posts

Back