Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hammy they are allowing emails

Yeah i know, don't want to get blacklisted on first night. :ROFLMAO:

At the moment, there's not much to pick them up on, i'm waiting till they feel comfortable then the gloves will be off. ;) Just now it's mostly Kevski exaggerating/over egging some features, ie movements, or VE watches being hand assemble, as though that's something special, most watches are hand assembled even the cheap Chinese ones it's just the conditions the assembly process occurs in that differs. Oh and extra high saving claims, no doubt their using the same sales tactic that IW used ie extra high usual price then reduced with big savings for shows.

Completely baffled as to their tactics and product selection, schedule and overall approach for the SE launch.

If you're a C&C viewer watching craft/cards and items, usually under £20, then you're sat there and at 10pm the channel becomes Shop Extra and the first item they offer on the main channel is a £700 watch! And expensive watches for an hour.

How many crafting people suddenly think, oh yes, I need a £700 watch...

Even earlier on CE, the Shop Extra 4 hours slots were selling £150 drones. And collagen isn't particularly cheap either.

Wouldn't you start with small, cheaper household items. I saw RDM doing organisers and storage cases but they weren't that cheap either! Piranha was about the cheapest. And the hangars, but even they were pricey, as mentioned earlier.

To me, it seems random and haphazard selection and not correctly aimed at their customer base to start with and don't see how they will get more viewers from non C&C sources.

Even the £10 per year 10% discount doesn't sound massive in you have to spend £100 a year just to break even. Ok, if spending £100s a year on watches and goodness knows what, but who spends that on craft. So have to spend £10 to save £70 on a £700 watch?
No thanks. And still p&p on that!
Have to spend £10 X 12= £120 extra if you want free p&p!!! Meaning buying at least 2 or 3 items a month every month to make it worthwhile.
No thanks again.
Not for the occasional intermittent buyer.
Crazy.

What I don’t get is, I flick back to C&C and it’s so relaxed, no sell sell sell, wouldn’t that style work with a General Shopping channel
Yes, it's called QVC.
😜
Seriously, totally agree with you.
SE was a chance to innovate and setup a new, different, quality TV shopping 'experience' and instead they've just looked at the IW setup and resurrected it, rather than try a new approach and a decent product selection.

It didn’t take long did it 🤣
They even have the front to mention IW what a shameful start to a new channel,nothing has changed at all.
Just full on hard sell,these people back on tv after a few weeks really should be taken to task.
Create and Craft will be sunk by these morons very quickly,totally different viewership how will that work because it’s chalk and cheese at the moment.
Absolutely horrible bs merchants!

I don’t think crafters necessarily switch off from crafting at 10 p.m., no longer desire calm and informed selling techniques, and suddenly morph into hysteria watch junkies, wanting hard sell on speed dial of high price point goods that are totally at odds with their crafting beliefs and needs. Isn’t that why Create and Craft was created in the first place? Because the two markets are so different?

For one reason and another, I only saw about five minutes of the launch night. Fizz and Fart in some sort of photo-me booth studio, on a grainy, hard to make out screen quality, leering at the camera, selling something or other that didn’t seem very interesting or very good value. This ‘new’ channel looks very much a favour creation for a few out of work ex-Ideal World presenters, some long term sellers and a couple of demonstrators. Almost some sort of philanthropic gesture by the former owners of Ideal World, who for whatever reason, couldn’t bear to see the concept die off completely. But where a shopping channel within a completely different hobby channel, selling (from what others have said) a very uninspiring range of not very cheap goods, and using presenters from a failed one fits in long term in a clearly dying (literally) market overall, I cannot work out.

I don’t think crafters necessarily switch off from crafting at 10 p.m., no longer desire calm and informed selling techniques, and suddenly morph into hysteria watch junkies, wanting hard sell on speed dial of high price point goods that are totally at odds with their crafting beliefs and needs. Isn’t that why Create and Craft was created in the first place? Because the two markets are so different?

For one reason and another, I only saw about five minutes of the launch night. Fizz and Fart in some sort of photo-me booth studio, on a grainy, hard to make out screen quality, leering at the camera, selling something or other that didn’t seem very interesting or very good value. This ‘new’ channel looks very much a favour creation for a few out of work ex-Ideal World presenters, some long term sellers and a couple of demonstrators. Almost some sort of philanthropic gesture by the former owners of Ideal World, who for whatever reason, couldn’t bear to see the concept die off completely. But where a shopping channel within a completely different hobby channel, selling (from what others have said) a very uninspiring range of not very cheap goods, and using presenters from a failed one fits in long term in a clearly dying (literally) market overall, I cannot work out.

This is my two cents, just my personal opinion so more than likely wrong. :ROFLMAO:

My take is that with IW collapse a wee gap in the shopping TV market has opened up, and Hochanda Global are making a play to fill that gap and make some real money, crafting is small fry financially compared to the likes of QVC/TJC/IW type channels, if successful then that part of the business would be the prominent side and the crafting, like with IW, will take a back seat and be relegated to being the second channel. Of course it could fail, which is why i believe they've chosen an evening schedule to begin with to test the waters.

Although they seemed to have hoovered up presenters/buyers/backroom staff from IW, I don't view it as philanthropic gesture, I view that as just a ready supply of people they know, who know the trade so they can get the channel up and running quickly and make some money. The folks (two biggest shareholders Kaye & Wright) behind Hochanda are the same folks originally behind IW and although they seemed to have made money, i wouldn't class them as being successful at running a shopping TV channels. The first Hochanda went into admin, and it's successor Hochanda Global although made a profit, that profit turned into a loss as it's paying back debenture loans to those two shareholders (prob money to get Honchanda Global up and running and purchase of Create & Craft £2.75 million). And we know they were both involved with IW, which had be beset with money problems on and off since it's inception till it's ultimate demise.

So my prediction, crafting will become secondary as shop extra becomes the dominate side of the business, it may be successful in the short term but have my doubts on a long term future, especially with the influx of so many that were involved in a failed IW, who obviously seem to be taking the things that were bad about IW over to the new channel.

Very good assessment, Hammy. I think you are right - particularly on crafting taking a back seat eventually to the ‘new’ venture.

I often think what type of shopping channel would work long-term, that would attract younger viewers, and would keep the concept continuing for decades to come? What I have come up with is an interactive shopping channel with a number of different key departments: A large book and music collection that you can access at will, Selling virtually any electrical item you can think of, A massive selection of watches, A huge range of clothing and cosmetics and perfumes, again, that you can look at individually, and in your own time, Offering a fixed monthly fee to access its own music and video channels, and offering you free delivery on anything you buy during the month covered by that service. Plus your own ordering portal, where you can organise your returns, as and when you want to within the terms and conditions, and cancel an order at any point along the way, even after dispatch. I have even thought of a name for the new shopping channel it’s called Amazon TV…

Some very good posts, and as a regular Create and Craft viewer, who occasionally watches Shop Extra here are my views

I knew what to expect on Shop Extra, Hard Sell Tactics, by 4 presenters who you would rather punch than buy anything from, The Launch Party was so sickly it had more sugar than a doughnut, Wham straight into expensive items, Piranha and Simon have been on C&C recently would have been better having him on the first night, C&C viewers know him, Except you had Mr Dire reading from the same script, he’s been reading from for years, Then you had Kevin talking BS about Watches, then you had the Oxford University Students, who came on with some things with different coloured lights, straight from Poundland.

After about 20 minutes I jumped back to Craft it was like a different World.

On the club, If you are a occasional Shop Extra viewer, you are better off Joining the club, without the Free Delivery, as it’s only £10 a year, so more likely to save, rather than spending £10 a month

Anybody who thinks most of Create and Craft products are Under £20, should take a look at a die set, most are over £100, but do sell smaller sets, even C&C has 2 different markets, One being the professional crafter who runs a business, and then the crafter who just makes a few cards

I don’t mind, if it becomes the secondary channel again Create and Craft I mean,

Create and Craft I often have as background

In fairness, the comedy horror mask looked a good buy..
08F57D27-3508-4897-B2C1-6F02D7D4DCBD.jpeg

He sat his backside on that rattan sofa set being relentlessly peddled in the dying days of the channel. He was either living in an alternative universe, or he knew that the channel was in a desperate mess. and may not survive long or even short term? Either way, for me, he and the others selling there at that time come out of the last few days of broadcasting with very little credit. I think we have a member here who expresses innumerable problems with the administrators, being hassled about the item that PV and others were involved in selling, with no information whatsoever at the time given that the channel was in any difficulties. Perhaps if that had have been said, or a ‘closing down’ sale was announces, our member wouldn’t have made the purchase in the first place, along with any others who have subsequently encountered post-purchase problems as the case may or may not be. Regardless, over those last few weeks, viewers and potential buyers, were not provided with an informed choice as to whether they should buy from a company that was in obviously in serious difficulty. I have no intention of ever watching him again. It is hard to believe that that group can just show up again on a new shopping channel without any recriminations as to the demise of the old one. I imagine they genuinely don’t see it as their problem. Nothing to do with us, Guv.

Latest posts

Back