Red carpet manicure TSV 19/2/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Does anyone know if you need to file your nails on the top for this. They always do that at the salon. I don't really like it.
No you don't need to file your nails on top before using it. I did so the first time because it was on the instructions but have never done it again and I have been continually using RCM since last August. I did my toes on 24 December as was going on holiday for 18 days and the varnish is still unchipped even though I have cut my toe nail since. There is considerable growth now.

I purchased the starter kit just before Christmas and it's by far the best thing I've ever bought from QVC. I was sceptical and expected it to be difficult to use and/or damaging to my nails but have been pleasantly surprised. I love the range of colours at RCM and am especially pleased with the dark blue (Midnight Affair) which doesn't stain your nails like most other polishes of this colour.
I plan to use "Draped In Rubies" later today but I have recently used their French Manicure kit with great results. You can read my reviews of the kit and polishes if you like and I hope it helps. http://jennailsit.wordpress.com/
Jen

Hi Jen. I bought Barry M Rose Quartz from Superdrug online about a week ago but haven't used it yet. Thought it might look nice on my toes for summer. Superdrug have free postage until 14 Feb.

I bought the Sensationails boxed set,but the base and top coat are one bottle.Will have to check if they do them separate.

Asked my friend this morning Pauline, and she said she's using two coats of the combined base and to coat. When she said she was doing just the base and top coats without a colour in between I assumed they were separate things, but they're not. Has given her lovely nails doing that.

My nails have never been better since using it. I have to cut them down each time I paint them as they grow so much. Yes I do occasionally have the odd break but if it is not too bad I actually stick it back together using the RCM basecoat.

I don't file mine first either. I do use a buffer as I always have done but don't do the last shine process as normal with a buffer i.e. rough buffer side, then smooth, missing out the shine side.

Midnight affair is a lovely colour. I have quite a collection now - about 20 colours mainly bought using the colour of the week offer on the RCM website.

A few tips I have for any of you buying it this week:
I invested in a magifying craft/beauty/reading LED light from ebay it makes it really clear to see what you are doing, especially with my dodgy eyesight. So you get nothing on your cuticles.

I also invested in a couple of nail soaking bowls again from ebay. When removing I buff the topcoat off as per the instructions till it is a dull finish on the nails then soak in some acetone nail varnish remover (sally hanson one I find best) for about 10-15 mins, I pour the stuff back into the bottle so you really use very little. the varnish then just falls off on its own. No faffing trying to wrap with cotton wool and foil!!

When painting I do the whole process on my two thumbs first, then the four fingers of the right hand then the left. I am right handed. That means by the time I am getting 'tired' I have the easiest bit left to do.

Others have posted tips on other threads about the easiest way they have found to do it. As I said before you will find what is best for you.

It really is no more difficult that painting your own nails - if you can do that you can do a RCM manicure. Although the process takes longer as you have to sit with the nails under the lamp for 45 seconds after each coat, as soon as you have finished you can get up and do absolutely anything, so in the long run it is probably quicker as you would have to sit for at least 30 mins or so waiting for them to dry after a normal manicure.

Have been reading some of the reviews on the gel systems and there are a lot of people out there using the base and top coats from the various systems, and putting their OPI, Leighton Denny, Nails Inc etc. in between instead of the gel polishes. The trick it seems is for the coloured polish to be completely dry before the top coat is put on and cured. They say it works well and saves a lot of money buying gel polishes when they already have loads of normal polish.

Have been reading some of the reviews on the gel systems and there are a lot of people out there using the base and top coats from the various systems, and putting their OPI, Leighton Denny, Nails Inc etc. in between instead of the gel polishes. The trick it seems is for the coloured polish to be completely dry before the top coat is put on and cured. They say it works well and saves a lot of money buying gel polishes when they already have loads of normal polish.

I say I will try this every time I do a manicure but then have so many 'new' RCM colours I want to try first.

So I'm new to all the gel nails but think I'm going to buy this, so between each layer you put your fingers under the LCD light, does this dry the nail each time? Or is it only dry on the final coat? xx

So I'm new to all the gel nails but think I'm going to buy this, so between each layer you put your fingers under the LCD light, does this dry the nail each time? Or is it only dry on the final coat? xx
You have to cure each coat under the led lamp. Each time you cure the coat it is left 'tacky' so that the next coat adheres properly. After you have cured the top coat, you wipe it with one of the products included in the set and that removes the tackiness and you are left with completely dry nails. It is like magic!
I've used gel varnishes that I've bought from amazon and eBay with no problems.

Well that's me in on the TSV, my fav is french manicure :mysmilie_14: It'll be well worth it not to endure the endless drying time YAYYYY A GOOD TSV!

You have to cure each coat under the led lamp. Each time you cure the coat it is left 'tacky' so that the next coat adheres properly. After you have cured the top coat, you wipe it with one of the products included in the set and that removes the tackiness and you are left with completely dry nails. It is like magic!
I've used gel varnishes that I've bought from amazon and eBay with no problems.

Did you buy new base and top coats too, or did you just buy gel varnish, can you let me know brand please as would love to branch out - thanks

Just spotted this on the Ideal World website: item #197864 Salon Essentials UV Nail Polish Protector System reduced to £39.99 from £69.99. It appears to have larger acetone and finishing wipe bottle than red carpet, and a more substantial lamp (similar to the one I used to use for acrylic nails - your whole hand should fit). It seems a good buy if you just want to sandwich a regular polish between a gel top and base coat. There are no colours included though.

Jude xx

Last edited:
Just spotted this on the Ideal World website: item #197864 Salon Essentials UV Nail Polish Protector System reduced to £39.99 from £69.99. It appears to have larger acetone and finishing wipe bottle than red carpet, and a more substantial lamp (similar to the one I used to use for acrylic nails - your whole hand should fit). It seems a good buy if you just want to sandwich a regular polish between a gel top and base coat. There are no colours included though.

Jude xx

Thanks Jude,
just had a peek. The review on it is very informative. The lady said that after researching it she felt that the lamp isn't powerful enough hence her varnish was only lasting a week. I think I'll pay probably near double for the Q TSV so at least I'll get one that does the job. Great spot tho & was worth checking out x.

I know nothing of gel manicures so please forgive what's probably a basic question.
If you use this to do your nails, to get the benefit of the strengthening effect, can you use ordinary polish over it? And could you then remove the ordinary polish with non acetone remover to leave the gel intact & apply a different colour?

I really like the sound of how this might help me grow my weak, splitting nails but have bought SO many polishes from QVC, Nails Inc, OPI, Leighton Denny & would be such a waste not to use them.

You can buy them directly from redcarpetmanicure.co.uk with free p&p - and if you go to their facebook page they do a colour of the week every week which you can buy for 1/2 price when buying any other colour.

thanks rosey.... for once an actual purpose for my facebook account !!

Latest posts

Back