Remembering

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Miss Ellie

Registered Shopper
Thinking back to shows I've watched on QVC, I wondered what happened to the craft shows? I used to watch Dawn Bibby religiously, but it all seemed to go down the plughole. I was sad when I discovered she was getting divorced, then she moved over to Ideal World? I did enjoy her shows and they inspired me to make cards, but QVC don't seem to do anything like that now. Can't believe they weren't popular ?

I used to enjoy the Dawn Bibby crafting shows and did start making cards. I have long stopped now, as they were getting too expensive to make, buying the card stock, etc. Someone recently on QVC's facebook page, posted details from an old programme schedule, and listed loads of jewellery ranges that they used to have. I remembered most of them, and I find it sad that there is so little variety of jewellery shows now compared to years ago. Mind you it has saved me a fortune as jewellery is one of my weaknesses!

I used to enjoy the Dawn Bibby crafting shows and did start making cards. I have long stopped now, as they were getting too expensive to make, buying the card stock, etc. Someone recently on QVC's facebook page, posted details from an old programme schedule, and listed loads of jewellery ranges that they used to have. I remembered most of them, and I find it sad that there is so little variety of jewellery shows now compared to years ago. Mind you it has saved me a fortune as jewellery is one of my weaknesses!

i think the problem is with jewellery that the prices have gone up so much i dont think it is viable as much as would people be prepared to pay the higher prices i doubt it too much

i think the problem is with jewellery that the prices have gone up so much i dont think it is viable as much as would people be prepared to pay the higher prices i doubt it too much

You are probably right SCW - but I live in hope one day some brands might return.

You are probably right SCW - but I live in hope one day some brands might return.

yeah its just this feeling i get people would complain about the prices but if it dont sell then they wont bring it but they have brought quite a few back but under new names & then they have gone again which is a shame

QVC were short-sighted to let Dawn go, crafting was probably a very lucrative earner for them but it disappeared rapidly after Dawn left, taking Kanban and other UK brands with her. Years ago the Plaid craft sets fro the US were very popular and I loved watching Carol Smith's demonstrations, back then Dawn appeared with Jones Tones alongside Websters' Punch Craft and other crafting, but Dawn brought the Card-making boom to QVC. I wonder why they didn't groom Catherine as a craft presenter after her buddy Dawn left? Maybe Catherine wasn't quite as into craft as she seemed?

I miss some of the fashion jewellery brands and make up brands that have moved on...miss Timber and Daniel with smashbox.

QVC were short-sighted to let Dawn go, crafting was probably a very lucrative earner for them but it disappeared rapidly after Dawn left, taking Kanban and other UK brands with her. Years ago the Plaid craft sets fro the US were very popular and I loved watching Carol Smith's demonstrations, back then Dawn appeared with Jones Tones alongside Websters' Punch Craft and other crafting, but Dawn brought the Card-making boom to QVC. I wonder why they didn't groom Catherine as a craft presenter after her buddy Dawn left? Maybe Catherine wasn't quite as into craft as she seemed?

I miss some of the fashion jewellery brands and make up brands that have moved on...miss Timber and Daniel with smashbox.

yes there was some nice fashion jewerllery brands & i enjoyed watchin Timber & Daniel on smashbox shows (yes i did watch them well it all helps to build up my knowledge to find things hehe)

It's probably cheaper to buy a card than make one but I must admit I do like to receive a handmade one.

It's probably cheaper to buy a card than make one but I must admit I do like to receive a handmade one.

for my grandma's birthday & easter & mothers day (even though she aint my mother) i used to always make her one & it always put a nice big smile on her face which was lovely to see sadly shes no longer with us (died a couple years ago) & now my craft sits there doin nothing

I kind of stopped card-making after my mum passed away ( she was my biggest fan). I made her a box of about 20 cards to send to friends etc a couple of years earlier but she kept them all saying she didn't want to part with them, bless her.

There used to be a couple of less expensive ranges like California Style which didn't pretend to be fine jewellery; there's a lot of gold "clad" stuff like Bronzo and Veronese now. Anyone remember Alexandra Elliot - she was a former shopping host in Canada (I think) who "sourced" fashion jewellery. I also still have a few bits of Adrian Buckley's earrings and chains; he's only on with his poppies these days.

for my grandma's birthday & easter & mothers day (even though she aint my mother) i used to always make her one & it always put a nice big smile on her face which was lovely to see sadly shes no longer with us (died a couple years ago) & now my craft sits there doin nothing

Dawn Bibby got me crafting and I've got a wardrobe full of papers and card stock (one to use and one to look at) and whilst I don't craft all the time, its usually special days...just made OH a Birthday card with Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstrat on the front which I decoupaged to a fashion...he loved it! Great stress reliever :mysmilie_59:

loved carol smith her crafting hours made me forget a lot of my worries at the time...

Thinking back to shows I've watched on QVC, I wondered what happened to the craft shows? I used to watch Dawn Bibby religiously, but it all seemed to go down the plughole. I was sad when I discovered she was getting divorced, then she moved over to Ideal World? I did enjoy her shows and they inspired me to make cards, but QVC don't seem to do anything like that now. Can't believe they weren't popular ?
I know nothing about Dawn Bibby per se ,but I do know for a fact that as far as guests go, QVC has changed. No longer very welcoming and guests feel ushered in and out very quickly. The lack of a sort of personal touch that used to be there ,is very very obvious ,which is why I gave up on the channel.

yeah hasn't dawn moved to Egypt for the foreseeable future?

Dawn was on Create and Craft regularly as a host until recently but left about a month ago. There was a bit of a send off and tears from her but I didn't know where or why she'd gone. Except that I think she may have a new man in her life so perhaps they've moved to Egypt together?!

If people are still interested in paper crafts and card making do give Create and Craft a look, it always feels friendly and easy to watch.

And if you fancy giving making your own jewellery a go, a friend of a friend, Sarah, has a show on create and craft Wednesdays at 9-10am with beads direct. There's also Jewellery Maker channel (owned by gems tv) which is v professional in its craft and has lots of inspiration!

Dawn was on Create and Craft regularly as a host until recently but left about a month ago. There was a bit of a send off and tears from her but I didn't know where or why she'd gone. Except that I think she may have a new man in her life so perhaps they've moved to Egypt together?!

yes something like that, from what i saw on C&C her new man is egyptian and she's moved there with him.

I have so enjoyed reading all your replies, tips and info. After Dawn's departure I never wanted to watch another craft presenter because I really liked Dawn and others did not appeal. I'm not keen on IW so I didn't migrate over there when she moved to them. Like others I still have card making stock but have lost my enthusiasm for it. I also made my own jewellery buying supplies from the make-your-own jewellery channel but I ended up with so many things I had to stop. I agree with comments that guests are not the same, in fact the whole thing is not like it was, but I can't put my finger on when or why it has changed, but change it has for me. I also remember the good looking chap who came over with Smashbox, one minute he was there and the next - gone! But I was pleasantly surprised to see Viva Las Vegas gems, even though I can't afford them! I know prices have risen but I have bought lovely pieces at very reasonable prices but sadly it's not like that anymore. So many vendors and guests have gone haven't they? It's a shame to read comments that say QVC has become boring. Surely the channel needs to examine that?

I'm not into craft really ,although I did A level art at school.I have a friend who regularly sent me home made cards and it was great to receive them.Now she has reverted to shop bought because It became too expensive.

Don't know if I'm remembering correctly but i believe there were two men presenting craft as a double act on IW ,can't remember their names ,but they left to set up their own channel. or was it cookery....hmmm well anyway I remember the double act of two middle aged men who were quite funny.

Latest posts

Back