Richard Jackson

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

yorkrose26

Registered Shopper
How does Richard Jackson get away with being so constantly rude to the producers and directors whilst live on set. This has been going on for a good few months now and it makes me cringe, if it was just the odd occasion and just general banter then fair enough, but it isn't. I know he has is 'own line' (QVC owned), brand of products, but surely he is not above 'QVC law' to be given a 'friendly amonistration'. It is not fair to the backroom people who work behind the screen. I was watching a repeat show on Q a few days ago, when he was on with Jackie Kabler and 'her ear was obviously telling' her that the gallery was not happy, so she as light-heartedly as possible told him to 'simmer down' did it make any difference, no. I can't think it is just me that thinks this, it is a shame as the programs are entertaining and the products sold are good (we have in the past bought plants from Q, but if he carries on like this I will they will have lost a viewer (not that I know they will care).
What are others thoughts!

So you're the QVC viewer who will be happy this weekend then :D

I do wonder though if he pushes himself too much, as he's on so often he might be getting tired and tetchy as a result. That or it could just be he's a rude sort of person and getting ideas above his station.

I think a number of QVC presenters could do with being more courteous to the team that looks after production, and particularly the camera team - not just Richard Jackson. I recall in one of the behind the scenes programmes, they said that some of the cameras are robotic - and controlled by the production team, and only some of the cameras are controlled by a person. It could well be that he was being rude about a camera nobody on the studio floor was controlling.

Unlike the presenters, a lot of the team will not be getting paid a load of money. They also probably don't work such short shifts as the presenters. The least the presenters could do is not draw extra attention to stuff they don't like when they are live on air. I thought that's what they would be doing when they do a post show review? It certainly should be what they are doing post-show, in my opinion.

I have noticed the tendency of presenters to be rude to or about production staff, snide towards guests, and they are getting increasingly rude about customers who don't like the way things are done at QVC. Debbie has been the most prominent offender... Julia is rapidly going the same way. Funny that Richard Jackson has become another. All seem to think they are somehow bigger than QVC. I will say that Jill Franks is usually very nice to guests and the production team. This may be why people seem to like her even with some of her very irritating habits.

I was always taught that politeness costs nothing. And I was also always taught to treat others the way I would like to be treated myself. They are both lessons that some QVC presenters would do well to learn, in my opinion.

I know that if I was "on show" as the presenters are, I would be gritting my teeth on occasion, but I would be making a huge effort to be pleasant to all around me. It's not just the size of things which a camera can magnify. If they doubt it, they should watch back their shows on mute. The body language and facial expressions speak volumes!

Last edited:
I've mentioned this before, I'm not into gardening or Richard Jackson or QVC for that matter but whilst channel hopping I've caught him doing this, Dale was doing it a lot so I think little Richard started to copy him, Dales banter only came across as smug and rude doing it........little Richard "banter" comes across as smug, rude, disrespectful, arrogant and not in the least bit funny doing it.

yorkrose, to be honest I find this man a crashing bore and so full of himself he's virtually unwatchable. I think there's overkill of gardening programmes at the weekends, and I don't buy from Q. IMO, their prices are higher than Garden Centres - and as someone who has bought a number of plants from Poundland and been very happy with the way they've thrived in my garden (and with generally poor soil and a poor gardener - me!), these programmes have little or no interest. I do watch for just a few minutes occasionally, to see what plants they're bringing on, and that's it. Switch off or over. I find him a rather pompous little man, and Q should clamp down hard or he'll just get worse if he gets away with it. How difficult can it be to find someone else to present gardening shows? And without an entourage of other people there as well (?why). I would think gardening people would be falling over themselves to get the offer. I am surprised at what you say, and that he's being allowed to get away with it.

How does Richard Jackson get away with being so constantly rude to the producers and directors whilst live on set. This has been going on for a good few months now and it makes me cringe, if it was just the odd occasion and just general banter then fair enough, but it isn't. I know he has is 'own line' (QVC owned), brand of products, but surely he is not above 'QVC law' to be given a 'friendly amonistration'. It is not fair to the backroom people who work behind the screen. I was watching a repeat show on Q a few days ago, when he was on with Jackie Kabler and 'her ear was obviously telling' her that the gallery was not happy, so she as light-heartedly as possible told him to 'simmer down' did it make any difference, no. I can't think it is just me that thinks this, it is a shame as the programs are entertaining and the products sold are good (we have in the past bought plants from Q, but if he carries on like this I will they will have lost a viewer (not that I know they will care).
What are others thoughts!

may, a bit off-topic but I was thinking the same watching the Q beauty awards late last night. I thought the presenter was being supercilious and thoroughly objectionable at times, boasting almost about keeping the representatives from different beauty companies guessing as to who had won each category, and making remarks that implied she had falsely made them think they hadn't won anything. My Other Half even remarked "Snotty c.." at one point, and he doesn't normally watch. Do these presenters think they are so important that the rules of politeness don't apply to them? Perhaps someone should tell them the old saying..."be nice to everyone on the way up, as you may meet them on the way down".

I think a number of QVC presenters could do with being more courteous to the team that looks after production, and particularly the camera team - not just Richard Jackson. I recall in one of the behind the scenes programmes, they said that some of the cameras are robotic - and controlled by the production team, and only some of the cameras are controlled by a person. It could well be that he was being rude about a camera nobody on the studio floor was controlling.

Unlike the presenters, a lot of the team will not be getting paid a load of money. They also probably don't work such short shifts as the presenters. The least the presenters could do is not draw extra attention to stuff they don't like when they are live on air. I thought that's what they would be doing when they do a post show review? It certainly should be what they are doing post-show, in my opinion.

I have noticed the tendency of presenters to be rude to or about production staff, snide towards guests, and they are getting increasingly rude about customers who don't like the way things are done at QVC. Debbie has been the most prominent offender... Julia is rapidly going the same way. Funny that Richard Jackson has become another. All seem to think they are somehow bigger than QVC. I will say that Jill Franks is usually very nice to guests and the production team. This may be why people seem to like her even with some of her very irritating habits.

I was always taught that politeness costs nothing. And I was also always taught to treat others the way I would like to be treated myself. They are both lessons that some QVC presenters would do well to learn, in my opinion.

I know that if I was "on show" as the presenters are, I would be gritting my teeth on occasion, but I would be making a huge effort to be pleasant to all around me. It's not just the size of things which a camera can magnify. If they doubt it, they should watch back their shows on mute. The body language and facial expressions speak volumes!

Moth, I think your latter comment is right - the limited occasions I've seen him, he gives every indication of someone too big for their (quite small) boots. It's the curse of Q!

So you're the QVC viewer who will be happy this weekend then :D

I do wonder though if he pushes himself too much, as he's on so often he might be getting tired and tetchy as a result. That or it could just be he's a rude sort of person and getting ideas above his station.

I have stopped watching the gardening hours even though I am a keen gardener. He trots out he same stuff year in year out.

I have stopped watching the gardening hours even though I am a keen gardener. He trots out he same stuff year in year out.

He does, it's true. He even uses the same anecdotes, uses pictures he's had for years which are supposedly from happy customers.

What I really dislike is when he uses one of his stories in relation to different plant varieties.

He's managed to kick Matthew Binks and Charlie Dimmock from our screens as well.

I'd prefer it if he was "relegated" to guest presenter status, and only appeared for flogging his own range on QVC, rather than standing around like a spare part while others are on.

Little man syndrome !

Haha so true!!

Ive used several of his products and i can honestly say they the results i got were average!! The only good thing about buying Flower Power was that i can use the tub it came in for my Miracle Grow which works much better that FP IMO and was a lot cheaper!!

Well, Miracle Grow hasn't done him any good has it. He clearly has a water tight contract with Q. I don't want to be unkind about his stature (but I will), but seeing a man his age and height in jeans and check shirt, he looks like an extra from 7 Brides for 7 Brothers - (film from the early 1950's.)

Well, Miracle Grow hasn't done him any good has it. He clearly has a water tight contract with Q. I don't want to be unkind about his stature (but I will), but seeing a man his age and height in jeans and check shirt, he looks like an extra from 7 Brides for 7 Brothers - (film from the early 1950's.)

...Or is he trying to gain image traction on Q legend the late great Harry (Safety 1st and DIY Second) Greene?

Note to Q elf reading this post. Some viewers have long memories of quality weekend presenters and don't care for this irritating little gnome.

...Or is he trying to gain image traction on Q legend the late great Harry (Safety 1st and DIY Second) Greene?

Note to Q elf reading this post. Some viewers have long memories of quality weekend presenters and don't care for this irritating little gnome.

I will second that, I would rather watch paint dry than watch that smug looking little garden gnome...:mysmilie_10:

I am going to refrain from saying anything about the person in question because i am sure everyone knows what i think about the little gnome:mysmilie_51:

I know i should not bottle it up i will go off like a pressure cooker the obnoxious little man makes my blood boil:mysmilie_14:

Just Googled him, and he has quite a little empire does our Dicky. Even his Flower Power is sold in the States under the name of Blossom Booster. He has a 'team' working with him - including his sons taking care of the Richard Jackson 'range'. Megabucks then thanks to his 'profile' on Q for the past 20 years !

Fashion ranges have come and gone, as have crafting, and other names, so why haven't other gardening brands/gardeners been given the opportunity to the exposure that Jacko boy has ? Like I said, he clearly has a water tight contract that prevents the likes of Charlie Dimmock et al from muscling in.

Latest posts

Back