Scent Notes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

maymorganlondon

Registered Shopper
First of all, a disclaimer, I know NOTHING about what all of the scent families of the scents I'm about to mention are... There are some knowledgeable forumites who have that expertise and I hope any of you who enjoy wearing scent (men's, women's or unisex) will chime in...

I have a whole load of samples of different fragrances, and I decided that I would try them all out, to see if there are any stand-outs that I would want to revisit. For most of them, I don't know what scent family they belong to, to see if I can identify any "trends" in what I appreciate or despise, so any insights anyone more knowledgeable can provide will be gratefully received...

Here are my notes on the ones I have tried most recently:

Clarins - Eau des Jardins. Much vaguer notes on this one - I would describe it as soft floral, with a little fruit and citrus. It's not as long-lasting as some, but it is one I will definitely consider purchasing because of how it makes me feel.
The White Company - Blanc. This one has white geranium and juniper. To me this had a musk aspect to it, and while I'm not always partial to it, it did feel fresh and empowering, and was long lasting... mostly fragrance is ephemeral on my skin. I finished every last drop of the sampler, and would consider a purchase.
Chloe - Love Story. Orange blossom and plum tree blossom. Fresh green floral, which I quite like. Purchase? Maybe, but more likely not.
Hermes - Voyage d'Hermes. This is a wood fresh musky fragrance. I think it also has a citrus note to it. It lasts well on my skin, but I have no urge to purchase.
Kenzo - FlowerbyKenzo. Bulgarian rose, parma violet, bourbon vanilla, white musk. This reminds me of YSL Paris (the original) as the parma violet tends to overwhelm everything else. Not one I find lasts, nor one I would purchase.
Lalique - L'amour. Bergamot, rosebud, tuberose, gardenia, cedar, sandalwood. Heavy floral, and does absolutely nothing for me. I will wear it to use it up, but without any enthusiasm.
Lancome - Idole. Forgettable. It's finished, and just went totally under the radar. With a name like Idole, you'd think it would jog more of a memory!
Armani - Armani Code. Orange blossom and honey, apparently. Another "meh" for me.
Givenchy - Ange ou demon. A noble lily magnified by the elegance of oakwood. Otherwise known in my home as OMG, old lady in a bottle! I find this quite often with my skin chemistry, that things smell very different on me than they do on others.

Normally, my spring/summer fragrance is L'Occitane - Terre de Lumiere L'Eau, and my autumn/winter fragrance is Molton Brown - Mesmerising Oudh Accourd and Gold. I also enjoy both Clarins - Eau Dynamisante, and Eau Ressourcante; as well as Liz Earle - Botanical Essence No. 1. I don't think I have a specific pattern in what I love to smell and smell on myself except that I think I like citrussy florals, and softer florals rather than heady heavy florals. But the MB one doesn't fit into that at all as it is very heavily woody and smoky.
Men's fragrances I love tend to be more bright and citrussy, like Christian Dior - Eau Sauvage and Eau Sauvage Extreme. I used to like L'Occitane - Eau des Baux, but they seem to have messed with it and it's not as "snuggly" as it used to be. I also really like Davidoff - Cool Water, which is more melony, I think.

Enough about me and the workout I'm giving my nose - please tell me what your favourite scents are? Do you go for particular types of fragrance? What do you like to smell on others, but hate on yourself? What do you like on your other half?

I'd recommend Interdit by Givenchy and Missguided babe power (though I'm too old to be a babe!)...bought that cause like you I received a sample of it and it's a stayer which is rare on my skin, and it's a pleasant scent for every day.

Two ladies at work wear Jimmy Choo Flash..on one of them it smells divine, on the other it smells like flykiller!

Worst smell is Elizabeth Arden's Red door...I'm getting a headache just thinking about it.
Love Tendre Poison (nothing like the awful original 80's one) . I think I prefer floral and don't mind musk. Not keen on fruity, woody or oriental fragrances.

Oh's skin like mine doesn't hold scent very well at all...but I do like citrussy men's scents like aqua di parma

I've got really dry skin...but that doesn't explain my husband's lack of staying power as he has oily skin!

I can’t wear perfume or smell it on others without a migraine but in my younger years I loved Nina Ricci L’air du Temps (floral fruity) and men’s aftershave Aramis. So wish I could wear it now.

I’m the same, also any strong perfumed smell off any kind kicks my sinuses off too. I haven’t used aerosol deodorant or any spray for years because it can aggravate the asthma. I’ll put my violin away now 😂

I love perfume but only buy cruelty free so I wear Framboise Noir from Shay & Blue, the revived Aqua Manda & during the winter I like Ylang Ylang Espresso from Floral Street - it's too heavy for anyother time of the year. I also wear roll on perfume oils from Bloomtown. My favourite perfumes were Per Una Originale, I've asked M&S to bring it back without success, & Max Factor Citrus Musk from decades ago when I was young & didn't know about animal testing.

I love perfume but only buy cruelty free so I wear Framboise Noir from Shay & Blue, the revived Aqua Manda & during the winter I like Ylang Ylang Espresso from Floral Street - it's too heavy for anyother time of the year. I also wear roll on perfume oils from Bloomtown. My favourite perfumes were Per Una Originale, I've asked M&S to bring it back without success, & Max Factor Citrus Musk from decades ago when I was young & didn't know about animal testing.

When I was young a friend and colleague, who also worked for Littlewoods Pools, introduced me to what became my all time favourite which was, and still is, “White Musk” from the Body Shop, it was in a little square plastic(ish) bottle and you squeezed a drop out. As with any sell outs though the smell changed slightly over the years, but I can still smell the original to this day, the smell was gorgeous.

I can’t wear perfume or smell it on others without a migraine but in my younger years I loved Nina Ricci L’air du Temps (floral fruity) and men’s aftershave Aramis. So wish I could wear it now.
That must be an absolute nightmare, I get them but there's no trigger just complete inability to function. I love perfume but know that others don't or get affected by it so I'm quite conservative in the amount I wear.

When I was young a friend and colleague, who also worked for Littlewoods Pools, introduced me to what became my all time favourite which was, and still is, “White Musk” from the Body Shop, it was in a little square plastic(ish) bottle and you squeezed a drop out. As with any sell outs though the smell changed slightly over the years, but I can still smell the original to this day, the smell was gorgeous.
My sister's all time favourite too. Her babies always smelled of it & like you I get instant recall. Isn't the brain amazing that we can hold scents & tastes in our memory & bring them back? Her boys, my nephews, are 31 & 29 & I still see them as these little blondies who loved tractors & always smelled of that lovely perfume. Happiest of times.

I’m the same, also any strong perfumed smell off any kind kicks my sinuses off too. I haven’t used aerosol deodorant or any spray for years because it can aggravate the asthma. I’ll put my violin away now 😂
I'd never had sinus problems until I went to work in a school & was surrounded by students who loved their body spray aerosols. My immune system was obviously robust because I didn't catch any bugs but I had issues with my sinuses until I retired. One winter I had persistent pains in my head & the GP said they were ice pick headaches which could have been caused by blocked sinuses. (I should have added this to the White Musk comment, doh!)

I’m working in year 6 this year and the girls are experimenting with perfumes, very heady scented ones, some boys wear aftershave too. It’s agony.

I hated Blasé I think it was Max Factor. It caused some very strange effects nausea and low blood pressure and blood sugar then a migraine. A friend of mine loved it but it and eventually I had to ask her to stop wearing it because it made me so very ill. My favourite perfume of all time is probably Gucci Envy.

I hated Blasé I think it was Max Factor. It caused some very strange effects nausea and low blood pressure and blood sugar then a migraine. A friend of mine loved it but it and eventually I had to ask her to stop wearing it because it made me so very ill. My favourite perfume of all time is probably Gucci Envy.

When I was 17 in 1975 the bus of a morning stunk of Tabu and I’d end up in work with an almighty migraine. Youth Dew would do it too.

Latest posts

Back