Stopped in the street.............

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Was there an Avon one in a white pot with a gold wishbone?

I’ve had the misfortune to work with both over zealous perfume users and a couple with poor body hygiene. Makes the workplace even more difficult than it should be.

I was one of 4 managers in a large office - 200+ staff. I was the only woman manager and so issues of “hygiene” and relationship problems fell to me. The 3 male managers had in-built radar for such problems and could disappear into the stationery storeroom within nanoseconds.

I could tell you some stories that would make your hair curl.

... At work at the moment a couple of ladies have been harping on about an extremely expensive perfume called "Portrait of a lady" and to me, the name sends out similar warning signs, but apparantely it's amazing. One of them wore it in to work to demonstrate how wonderul it is. I honestly thought it was rank and to me it smelled like an old church. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the scent of an old church - in an old church that is - not on a person!
Coincidentally, only a few hours ago, I was looking at Molton Brown perfumes on Fragrantica.com and quite a few said Rosa Absolute was just like Portrait of a Lady. I had never heard of it before then see a mention on here!

Once on holiday in Malta I was wearing a Kim & Co maxi dress and I was walking along the street with my friend and a woman walking past shouted "lovely dress, where'd ya get it"..".QVC it's kim & co" I called back...a she said "cheers love" and walked on. That's as close as I've ever got in the 56 years I've been on this planet. The exchange took around 10 seconds. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but not necessarily to these people and most certainly not the amount of times they profess to have been literally stopped in the street....Bull!

A few people have commented on my fragrance - at work before I retired, in a queue in a shop (when we could be closer than two metres,) at the dentist 😳 and my OH.

I use Molton Brown pink pepper or Jovian Musk, but no one has ever walked into a lamp post or stopped me in the street when detecting the scent. I did try Tova fragrance and it didn’t suit me at all.

Was there an Avon one in a white pot with a gold wishbone?

I’ve had the misfortune to work with both over zealous perfume users and a couple with poor body hygiene. Makes the workplace even more difficult than it should be.
Yes, that was called Wishing. My mum had it. They were cute little pots but the contents were not so cute, certainly by today’s standards and tastes.

As coincidence would have it again I was complimented on the dress I was wearing when I was out having a coffee with a friend this morning...Sitting there chatting and a lady and her hubby walked past and the lady said...I love your dress! So that's twice in my 56 years..but still wasn't exactly "stopped in the street" Not a Q creation this time but the Hell Bunny autumn dress
1603197169161.png

I have been asked what perfume I was wearing & it's was always by a woman. A couple of year ago, when on holiday in Sicily, I was complimented about my dress & asked if I'd bought it there. I'd found it on Sainsburys' bargain rail the day before we flew, it was £4.50 - the reduced price minus 25% off promotion so I was really chuffed. My mum always said I looked my best in cheap clothes 🤔

I have been asked what perfume I was wearing & it's was always by a woman. A couple of year ago, when on holiday in Sicily, I was complimented about my dress & asked if I'd bought it there. I'd found it on Sainsburys' bargain rail the day before we flew, it was £4.50 - the reduced price minus 25% off promotion so I was really chuffed. My mum always said I looked my best in cheap clothes 🤔
Well, I think that was a compliment, Twilight?

In the last 7 months, and the next 7 if things don’t improve, I wonder how many people have come within a hairs breath of being in that young mans situation.

Sobering thought.
I worked for the Dept of Employment during the 1980s & saw the industries of the Black Country decimated with thousands of lives affected. What we are now facing will be far worse than those years & people who have had good jobs, & all that goes with them, may struggle to even pay their phone bills.

Well, I think that was a compliment, Twilight?
It was Andi. We always said that she spoke Martian & I can remember her words when my teenage skin was erupting: "Darling, nobody sees you when you're out" 😭 I now understand that she meant people were so busy & involved with their own affairs they wouldn't see me, as a 13 year old who thought she looked like a Dalmatian, I didn't agree.

I was once stopped in the street on a Saturday morning. It was people from a Swedish radio station who wanted to know my views on the situation in Northern Ireland? I said I did not speak Swedish but they said that was okay as they would translate.o_O So I did the interview.

No, I was not wearing any QVC fashion.

Yes! Means you’d look good in a bin bag. Not everyone does.
Funnily enough my mum was someone who was often described as someone who'd look good in a bin bag; she did smart casual better than anyone I've ever known & she always followed the concept of having a small wardrobe of the best quality clothes she could afford. A few months before she died we were going to our local garden centre & she asked me if her choice of outfit was alright, something she'd never done before, I must have looked puzzled & she then said it was because she didn't want to let me down. Good grief ma, as if you ever could ❤

Nobody has ever stopped me in the street and I actually like to play the little mousey person.

Interesting thread.

I used to love my Pretty Peach set. I had the bath gel, the body lotion and a long-handled puff that you filled with the matching talc. I looked it up on eBay a few years ago and saw one going for about £90! The packaging was so appealing to me with the peach as the top.

Ugh, Poison. It gave me the worst sick-headaches. Apologies to people who love it. I often used to think the women who wore it must have had a very poor sense of smell (or mine was very sensitive - which it is, I suppose, as I can recognise most perfumes and notes). A bit like the young men who douse themselves in Lynx expecting to 'pull a bird' and being disappointed when they get turned away by any female with a nose. Walking fire hazards!

I live in a rural area where we'd frequently go days with power cuts. We couldn't have a bath but that doesn't mean my mum would let us go without a good wash. She'd boil the kettle on a camping stove in the lean-to and fill the sink for us to wash. This method came in handy a few years ago when I'd had both ankles pinned after breaking them and was put in non-weight-bearing plasters for a few weeks. My OH would wheel me to the downstairs loo where I'd sit on the loo, put towels around me and wash with a Ramy sponge (love those things).

I don't accept the excuse of not having access to a bath as acceptable. I'm from a family of miners that still had an outside toilet until I was seven and bathed in a tin bath in front of the fire. We'd all bath in it before the men came home then they'd bath in our soapy water!

I worked for a while with a woman living a few hundred yards down the road from me. It was common for us to pick up lifts as a lot of us rurals worked in the same big hospital 30 miles away. I'd go 10 miles out of my way to pick other colleagues up as she didn't wash and stunk the department out - sick-inducing stink, not just BO. Our manager told her several times that she'd been complained about but she used the non-excuse of having no hot water to bath. She came on to me not long before I left quite angry that I'd never offered her a lift even though we lived so close. As I was leaving (and she'd caught me during a PMT-induced rage) I let her have it both barrels about how she was so dirty and smelly that no one wanted her near them and that she was obviously too lazy to boil a kettle and wash in the sink and take her clothes to a laundrette. That it was a disgrace she was turning up for work at a hospital smelling like a 5-day old run-over skunk and that I'd be reporting her to HR and top management. Which I did.

Quite a few people signed a department petition about her and after several warnings which she was either defiant about or complained about not being able to afford to wash (someone left a bar of soap on her desk after that), she was sacked. She lost a great job because she didn't mind upsetting colleagues and patients with her lazy/dirty ways. Serves her right as far as I was concerned. Absolutely no need for it.

How the hell do these people think we managed 50/60 years ago? My nan would be amazed if she was alive to see a power shower these days!

Sorry, I'm ranty again. My OH often calls me Mrs Angry (well, at least once a month!).

Latest posts

Back