Warning on Gel manicures

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Has anyone noticed that the base layer doesn't come off? I have been using Red Carpet since June 2012 and it's always been the case, I have to remove the clear base with a buffer. The colour does come off well.
I've been using RMC since Aug 2012 and all the layers come off with the acetone unless I just use a base and a top coat and then the base coat seems to stick to the nail. I only change my RCM every 14 days. My nails have never been better. I generally take the gel off in the evening and then put loads of Leighton Denny Renovate on overnight and the next morning and only the next afternoon do my manicure again

I take mine off with acetone and add glycerin to my bottle and it does not dry them out. I take mine off the day before and put lots of cream and cuticle oil and no probs...

Has anyone noticed that the base layer doesn't come off? I have been using Red Carpet since June 2012 and it's always been the case, I have to remove the clear base with a buffer. The colour does come off well.

I have just asked the same on the other thread. I removed the colour then used more aceton remover/foil and this helped take the base coat off.

A study on TWO women? But if it's in the DM it must be true, let's all panic, scientific reporting doesn't get more accurate than this. :giggle:

Heaven forbid if you were to eat a bacon sandwich whilst you have your Shellac pedicure!! :giggle:

not sure why you are all so cynical. why is a manicure worth your long term health. suspect there is no smoke without fire and i suspect that those chemicals pose a real danger. remember it can take years to prove links between chemicals and illness (cancer etc) only have to think back to when cigarettes weren't thought to pose a health risk.

not sure why you are all so cynical. why is a manicure worth your long term health. suspect there is no smoke without fire and i suspect that those chemicals pose a real danger. remember it can take years to prove links between chemicals and illness (cancer etc) only have to think back to when cigarettes weren't thought to pose a health risk.

Because it's in the daily mail mainly! There's no scientific evidence to support it and you get more UV exposure on a sunny day than from a manicure - that's why. (and yes, I have a phd so I know a bit about scientific method and naturally question everything)

But then you'd never leave the house for fear of inhaling something along the way or being exposed to something you don't know about, the list is endless! :thinking:
I too read the article and supporting comments & wanted to read more b4 giving my verdict. As I have stated already the scaremongering articles seem to be precisely that imo. Indeed the Daily Mail one totally contradicts an article prasing the home system they published a year ago & how sales had gone up by 523%, how much money it saves, the benefits blah blah & no it wasn't a paid for ad either.

In the latest article they also seem to be struggling with understanding the difference between gel nails & gel manicures/polish only. Nor to they mention that there is a significant difference in strength & rays given off by the old style lamps compared to the new ones.
1 of the supposed "Doctors" who also wrote about the subject was talking complete tosh about the severity of weakening the nail and the aggressive methods needed to remove the polish. That much I do know, I've removed it twice now.

Anyone who is concerned about the rays can always use an spf on their hands or there are special gloves you can get apparently. As it is I don't think I'll bother as the lamps we have from RCM are 9W, (about 4.5% of the strength of a sunbed).

Last edited:
I've been using RMC since Aug 2012 and all the layers come off with the acetone unless I just use a base and a top coat and then the base coat seems to stick to the nail. I only change my RCM every 14 days. My nails have never been better. I generally take the gel off in the evening and then put loads of Leighton Denny Renovate on overnight and the next morning and only the next afternoon do my manicure again

I use cheap Tesco acetone to remove my gel varnish .
I've been doing RCM for around 6 months and shellac for the 18 months before that , and to be honest have never bothered with any of the oils etc (IMO think it's just yet another sales ploy - do you really need it or have we just been brainwashed to think we do ?), I just remove one lot and put the next lot on , and can honestly say my nails are the best they've ever been - longer and stronger.

Latest posts

Back