What's happened to Gemporia

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Can someone tell me what's going on at gemporia? All you see on the shows for the last few days is nothing but makeup candles and kitchen wear. Has it turned into a pound shop.
Quite simply, bad management and a bit of greed thrown in. Have a read of the threads. It's a shame, but we are all still keeping our fingers crossed that Steve's return will bring better times (and more jewellery that is not Jade or Queen Conch).

I am confused now what Gemporia stands for and it's products. At the start the USP was genuine gemstones set in genuine metal. Over recent years and without any real explanation the brand had been stretched in extraordinary directions. What does Gemporia stand for now?For management to consider.

I am confused now what Gemporia stands for and it's products. At the start the USP was genuine gemstones set in genuine metal. Over recent years and without any real explanation the brand had been stretched in extraordinary directions. What does Gemporia stand for now?For management to consider.

Sadly, this all seems to have changed when Steve gave up ownership of the Company about 6 years ago. Colin Wagstaffe came in as Managing Director and changed far too many things (for the worst, just like at previous companies he's 'managed'). I think Jake has far too much influence too.

Steve visiting the mines himself and buying 'direct from the mine and cutting out the middleman' seems to have been replaced with Dave and Jake being sent to places like Tucson, Hong Kong, etc to buy from Trade shows (where there is a middleman - if not more).

What used to be mainly Gold and Sterling Silver Jewellery has now become 'Gold Tone' or 'Midas' with the occasional pieces of gold and silver jewellery in-between.

What used to be affordable, good quality jewellery has mostly become, in my opinion, expensive tat.

Customer service is appalling - long waits on the phone to be answered, long delays with refunds, price pledges getting harder and harder to claim, etc.

Too much waffling from "guests" (not sure how Dave Troth can be considered a guest - he's in the Gemporia studios more than I'm in my own house), too many "themed" hours of Primal Pills & Potions, Destello dresses and Visage.

A confused business model - ie, Jewellery beinbg sold on lifestyle, lifestyle products being sold on Gemporia, gemstone craft strands being sold on Gem Collector, loose gemstones being sold on Jewellery Maker, Primal stuff being sold on Jewellery Maker, etc.

The list is endless.

I think there are too many problems to turn around and I'll be amazed if they stay in business - I'd be surprised if they're still around in 2 years (that's my personal opinion - not from any 'in the know' hints or anything).

I think in order to survive, they need to 'get back to basics' - ie, what they built their business on years ago. Affordable, quality jewellery at good prices (with a wide variety of gemstones too).

I can live with the occasional non-jewellery hour. Mines close all the time, gem prices go through the roof, countries become impossible to obtain gems from (such as Russia at the moment, Burma has had its phases, etc). I dont think there are enough stones available to cover 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

However, when they DO sell Jewellery, it need sto be back to the 'good old days'.

At the moment, they have too many problems that need resolving all at the same time - and I can't see them being able to turn it around. They need to get rid of all their Jade. They need to get rid of the plated jewellery, they need a huge overhaul of the presenter line up (the good ones have left / been made redundant, whilst the annoying presenters have remained), customer service is poor, they've lost customers, they're alienating many that are just about sticking with them for the time being. It's just a mess - and that's only the things that are visible to us viewers. If rumours are true, there are other problems 'behind the scenes' too - such as Colin allegedly lumbering the Company with a huge loan debt to pay off), etc.

I don't think they can see the wood for the trees at the moment.

I’ve received an email regarding items refunded. They stipulate
Your parcel has arrived safely and is in the queue to be processed.
Please note that returns can take up to 20 days to refunded.

It looks like their refund process has definitely improved. 10 days from confirmation that they received the items to the money appearing back in my account. The original email still states 20 days, but they may not have updated the template yet.

I returned items a couple of days ago already acknowledged. That’s an improvement. I will check my account to see when the money is refunded. I want to be positive and if refunds are happening more quickly that’s a step in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back