Whetman Pinks TSV 06/05/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They look lovely. Anyone know how much they usually cost and if they are perennials??

They look lovely. Anyone know how much they usually cost and if they are perennials??

Pinks are meant to be perennials however i bought some of theses for Q two years ago and out of the 10 i only have two left, depending on the price u mayb best to check around garden centres and supermarkets, Morrisons have some atm for around a £1 each

scandalous price - £1 each incl p&p. From the description it sounds like they are rooted cuttings which really will not grow large enough this summer to produce the promised 100 flowers each.

My local garden centre sells these at size 3 or 4 inches across and already in bud for less than £2 each, much better value. Easy enough to produce cuttings for next year.

How do they get away with it week in week out ?

Linda xx

QVC plant prices are a total rip off for such poor quality. I gave up with them years ago as the bulk of my purchases failed. Now buy from B&Q, Morrisons, etc. who offer much better deals and my pots and baskets produce superb displays with some tender loving care and attention!

I totally agree with Bizzie Lizzie and Eric's Mum, Qvc's plants are over priced and of poor quality.
I too have been disappointed and very annoyed with several of their so-called amazing blooms including the Whetman Pinks last year,which of the 10 plants, only three produced single non-descript flowers the size of halfpenny piece!. Another rubbish lot were the sweet peas most have died off after potting on before being able to plant them outside, A complete waste of money, time and effort IMHO!

I can honestly say that I have not had one complete success with QVC plants (unlike IW in the days of Steve Whatley) and I think their value for money is outrageous these days. I just feel annoyed that the people who are housebound and don't have the opportunity to shop elsewhere are being ripped off with poor quality at extortionate prices.

I totally agree with Bizzie Lizzie and Eric's Mum, ..........Another rubbish lot were the sweet peas most have died off after potting on before being able to plant them outside, A complete waste of money, time and effort IMHO!

another case of mis-information. Sweet peas aren't that easy to grow - they need a deep pot for their long roots and a lot of water to stop the leaves going crispy. RJ makes them sound so easy.

sweet peas need a deep root run and lots of full sun and don't feed them until in bud. we have not had the weather for sweet peas for years. I do them from seed when I fancy growing some for under £2 you can get several plants and that's for the fancy designer ones

The weather is the problem in the uk in recent years, up here in the east of Scotland i now grow bedding that does not mind it cold and wet from time to time,a lot of the bedding RJ sells is just not suitable .

The weather is the problem in the uk in recent years, up here in the east of Scotland i now grow bedding that does not mind it cold and wet from time to time,a lot of the bedding RJ sells is just not suitable .

I agree years ago we had lovely long summers and you could grow beautifull summer bedding. I cheat a bit by growing fushias,bizzie lizzies, all the begonia specisies,lobelia and have some success with trailing geranium and trailing petunias. I tend to have hanging baskets as my garden is tiny

I had a love affair with fuchsias a number of years ago and tried many types they are a quite robust plant so am going back to them again for my baskets this year in fact a trip to garden center is called for today i think.

OH god just seen A Dawson on with RJ two horror's together that garden center trip will be sooner than anticipated.

fushias are really easy to bulk up. you buy a couple of them and take cuttings. they root easily and are late flowering june/july plenty of time to give a good show

I bought these last year when on offer and they were rubbish, only a couple actually grew and had about 5 flowers between them. I've had failures with all qvc plants I've bought and the same goes for flower power and lawn magic
I refuse to watch any gardening shows now!!

I caught some of this morning's show and I'd imagine that for a completely novice gardener some confusion might arise. Richard was extolling the quality of some fragrant sweet peas, saying that they were from Unwins who are apparently renowned for these plants. Fair enough - except that the graphics clearly showed that the producers of the plants were Marshalls. So someone is in the Land of Confusion this morning. Mind you, knowing the website issues recently it is probably the graphics department.

I think much of the problem is the growing season for plug plants is very short now because of the weather it makes more sense to buy more established bedding now,some of the plugs i have will take far to long to establish i will never learn,been out to B@Q this morning and got some lovely established bedding.

Latest posts

Back