Steam mops? Are any of them actually any good?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JoeyEmma

Registered Shopper
I keep looking at getting a steam mop but they get such mixed reviews, so want to try one from QVC so I can send it back if I don't like it. I want one where I can also get a jet of high pressure steam to try and get to those annoying places.

QVC sell a few including the h2o x5, Shark mop, Vax steam mop. Has anybody tried a few of these and can they recommend one?

Thanks!

On 13th May there is a H2O super clean with steam TSV. I don't know if it's a mop though.

I thought when I checked the H20 steam mops got mixed reviews.
Though a Shark one I checked on Argos at the time seemed much better.
I'd still undecided, so sticking to my microfibre mop don't want anything to lift and buckle the slate laminate.

If you just want it to clean your laminate floorings then I would think there is little point in buying such a machine. All this worry about germs is just a marketing ploy. Look at how many of us there are on the planet a few germs don't kill us.

I have a steam tank thing with many accessories that I bought 20 years ago to steam some wallpaper off. It did a great job too. Now I use it to steam clean the loo and the bathroom tiles when I can be bothered. Mainly just so that it gets some use. I have realised - thanks to watching QVC and the steam machine demos - that I can use it to defrost the freezer.

I've said this before, but I am sure the "burnt-on grease" that QVC use to demo their steam cleaners is something like dried brown sauce. My powerful steam cleaner from QVC (years ago, the first time I knew they existed) did not work on any of my burnt-on grease.

We don't have laminate flooring, we have tiles in the kitchen and stripped pine floorboards in the rest of the downstairs. We can't really mop the floor properly as too much water is bad for the varnish, so I thought it might be good for the floors. I also want to use it to get the textured tiles behind the cooker really clean, as they always feel sticky. Thanks for the tip on the wallpaper steamer. I am going to give it a go now!

I have the red H2O steam mop and it's great for cleaning the kitchen and bathroom floors (both Karndean). The house bunny Hugo lives mainly in the kitchen and the steam helps the loose fuzz settle on the floor so I can clear it up - no other method works as well because it just gets wafted away from any broom, mop or the vacuum cleaner. It separates into a hand-held steam cleaner which is good around the loo, especially around the seat hinges (eeeuuwww!).

Jude xx

I've said this before, but I am sure the "burnt-on grease" that QVC use to demo their steam cleaners is something like dried brown sauce. My powerful steam cleaner from QVC (years ago, the first time I knew they existed) did not work on any of my burnt-on grease.

I am sure it is too. We bought some leather cleaner from a show when the man demonstrated cleaning very dirty white leather with it. He just wiped it away with no effort. It wouldnt even shift normal grime from our cream leather sofa so we are sure it was just gravy browning or something similar. We have since bought a dark brown leather suite and dont have a problem with this LOL

If you just want it to clean your laminate floorings then I would think there is little point in buying such a machine. All this worry about germs is just a marketing ploy. Look at how many of us there are on the planet a few germs don't kill us.

I have a steam tank thing with many accessories that I bought 20 years ago to steam some wallpaper off. It did a great job too. Now I use it to steam clean the loo and the bathroom tiles when I can be bothered. Mainly just so that it gets some use. I have realised - thanks to watching QVC and the steam machine demos - that I can use it to defrost the freezer.

Is that the Earlex one iloveshopping? We got one of those donkey's years back and the only thing it gets used for is wallpaper stripping..it's just so much faff to get it out, assembled, filled and used!

I reckon that too Strato, I've never used a steamer that fetched anything much off! Friend of mine said hers fetched the grouting out when she did the bathroom tiles but from my own experience I would say not!

Microfibre mops are great for laminate flooring.....very effective and drys in no time .....pretty quick too :happy:

I'll second that May, I have one of those Emop things from John Lewis.

@Busy Mum - yes it is the Earlex (I'd forgotten the name and couldn't be bothered to go and have a look). They are still making them, I keep mine in a wardrobe upstairs and just fill it in the bath tub. The only part that I can't seem to buy is another little scrubby brush as mine is a bit worn now. They are good for removing wallpaper.

I have a Shark mop and I think it's great but I went and yanked the handle too hard and pulled the top part away and off, can't fix it back in and now have to mop the floors bent over with half a handle! I have vynal (sp) in my back room and kitchen (sounds vile but looks lovely) and also in my bathroom. Floors look immaculate when the Shark has done its job and you would be amazed at the muck on the pad even when the floors look clean to the naked eye. I also have a hand held steamer thing that was a real bargain from Aldi, great for cleaning the oven and defrosting the freezer

Am a recent convert to steam cleaners. I have a tiled floor in kitchen, dining rm and conservatory, and have thus spent hours with squeezy mop cleaning and rinsing. Then bought a green X5 and declared it the best thing EVER - cleans far better than I ever did before AND its dry in no time, as a consequence the floors get 'done' far more often as a result now.

I have the Shark and it's great. We have a mixture of laminate flooring and ceramic tiles downstairs and the Shark is good on both of these. We also have a couple of large wool rugs and if you steam the rugs the pile comes up as good as new.

I love mine as well,just lent it to my daughter in law and she can't wait to get one.

Me too!! I chose this one over the others as it converts to a handheld which I use for regular cleaning, steaming the mattresses and curtains and defrosting the freezer. I also use the upright on level 1 for my laminates and level 4 for the lino.
The only thing I would say though is that the handle is fairly flimsy, but am hoping that it will be ok

I have the green H2o one which I love.
I have solid oak flooring put down 2 years ago and with 3 dogs (and 3 litters of puppies) 2 cats plus 3 adults it gets plenty of use.
It is so light even when it is full of water which is great for me as I have joint and muscle problems and can't lift any thing to heavy.
Give it a go you haven't got any thing to lose as you can always send it back if you don't get on with it.
I think that this one area where Q come into their own where else can you try it out and then send it back if you don't get on with it.

We have a Hoover Floormate: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0007MS5B2/?tag=shoppingcom03-21 Bit hard to get hold of now (ours 10 years old and still going strong). You can control the amount of water that goes onto the floor surface and the squeegee sucks up what's left so floors are dry almost immediately. For quick mop-ups, I use a microfibre mop, but nothing cleans like the Floormate. I lent it to a friend with a steam mop (no idea the make, sorry) last year as she was selling her house. The dirt that came up was astounding - and she's super-fussy! It looks like the brushes got into the tiny grain in the laminate that the steam mop never picked up.

Latest posts

Back