1 off pieces.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mothy

Registered Shopper
I was rather dismayed today to see someone ask in the chatbox 'what was the difference between item no AB123 & CD456. Katherines reply was they are the same, but they had to make more & gave them a different code. Why did they 'have' to make more?

Both Steve & Carol also sold items that were listed as '1 of 1', 'the only one made', etc etc but then said that 'they were testing the water' & if we liked them, they would make more. Steve in particular said this about more than 1 item, but those springy jade bracelets were definately one.

Steve also showed an amethyst ring today http://www.colouredrocks.com/i-kc735/amethyst-ring/ which he said was brand new to rocks. The details says its part of the 'Jacques Christie' range.

I have exactly the same design in tanzanite http://www.colouredrocks.com/i-xc472/tanzanite-ring/ bought some time ago, but the details are 'Sarah Bennett' range.

Is Jacques Christie Sarah Bennett in drag? Should either item prove to be a best seller, will we then see them reproduced under the other range, but with a different product code & classed as a 'new' design?

I know these items are also available in other gems, & therefore technically different, as is the case with many designs, but what happened to 'we never repeat designs'?

Does this mean that items are not quite as 'exclusive' as we thought they were?, and indeed, as we have been told they were.

I have bought a few expensive items,(totalling over 4 figures) that had a 'wow' factor for me because I thought they were '1 offs' or limited designs. I would be very unhappy to discover they are not.

:28:

Last edited:

Yes, agree, that's not on at all - if an item is a one-off, exclusive - more should not be produced by public demand (even under a different designer's name) - the buyer is paying for the exclusivity of the particular piece and probably at a premium rate in a lot of cases because of this stated fact.

I did hear Steve say about a yellow jade bracelet (which was a one-off) that they may make some more .....

... perhaps someone from Rocks could clarify their position on this for you Mothy?

Though I had Steve on in the background, I admit I wasn't paying loads of attention most times. I thought he said that some (or perhaps most) of the new things that were listed as "one offs" were samples. Some they liked and would have more made, some they didn't at it would be the only one. I too was confused when the reply to the question came back from the chat about the different lines and numbers. :42:

Though I had Steve on in the background, I admit I wasn't paying loads of attention most times. I thought he said that some (or perhaps most) of the new things that were listed as "one offs" were samples. Some they liked and would have more made, some they didn't at it would be the only one. I too was confused when the reply to the question came back from the chat about the different lines and numbers. :42:

Aha - I missed Steve saying they were samples yesterday! :blush

I have seen that design in several different stones, because they had 3 on at the same time in the old format. We were discussing what they could be called, and settled on the Bee ring, because they looked like honeycomb!

If something is sold as a 'one off', to my mind this implies exclusivity, otherwise it should be stated that "we have only made one SO FAR".

:doggie:

Hi Mothy,

I'm sorry that there is some confusion.

Many of my designs will be one offs, sometimes 1 of 2 ,especially the higher end precious gemstone designs.

What we have ALWAYS said and made clear is that we will never repeat a design exactly, especially in our gold lines, what we WILL do is take a design and use different gemstones as is the case in the two lines you mention above. They are under two different brands because they were made by two different partners, one in india, one in thailand. Also it depends on the stone used as to which brand it goes under.

Many of the new silver lines we have produced are in smallish quantites because I want to see peoples reactions as to what they like and don't like but I hope with those we have made it clear that if the first say 8 are popular, then i will make another maybe 10-15 according to the demand from customers. Then we will not make anymore.We are selling through so many different silver and pearl lines and the business is growing so fast that at £5-6 it would not make business sense to keep producing and changing designs for every 8 that we make. So yes, when steve and carol said that we are testing the water on some items this generally only applies to silver and semi precious stones.

For example yesterday we aired our childs's pearl set. I only made ten of these, in reality I should have made 30 which is what we would have done 5-6 months but I wanted to check first that there was a market for them. There is and i have had lots of emails about whether there will be any more made, so therefore we will make some more so that lots of customers don't miss out.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say and I hope we have not mislead you in any way. If you are in any doubt about your ring then please send it back to us. We are very transparent and straight and we want to keep all of our valuable customers happy

Sarah, I was lucky enough to win TK704 a couple of weeks ago. It's a one-off silver citrine ring. To look at this from a different perspective, I want you to make more! It's a stunning ring and I wouldn't mind in the least if you made more. (Either in citrine or please, please, please in green and purple amethyst!). I think it is important to stress the exclusivity of the more expensive designs but at the lower end I couldn't care less how many there are as long as I'm happy with the price!

Thanks Sarah, for clarifying.

Perhaps the presenters could make it very clear about samples, and/or have this somewhere in the details as this is where the confusion arose.

The tanz/amethyst rings were a different q really, but again, thanks for clearing it up.

I have no problem with any of the things I've bought from Rocks, in fact I have never returned any item!, so you not having them back! nah nah nah nah!:9:

Right...I've stopped sulking now...I'm off for a cuppa & a jaffa cake!

Latest posts

Back