Chameleon tanzanite?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MissMagpie

If it sparkles - grab it
Just seen this gemstone on Gems TV's website - does anyone know what it is? (I don't watch the shows now - I only look at the website!)

Hi Miss M,

Haven't watched Gems for ages so I could be wrong but I think its just Tanzanite and that Chameleon is the name of the range. If memory serves me right - platinum plated silver.

Argey

Hi Miss M,

Haven't watched Gems for ages so I could be wrong but I think its just Tanzanite and that Chameleon is the name of the range. If memory serves me right - platinum plated silver.

Argey

Thanks for the suggestion, Argey; but this is definitely a gemstone (set in yellow gold with diamonds).

Sounds like the newest batch of hyped up, over priced, heat treated crap to me

Complete and utter marketing hype and rubbish.

Some sellers are trying to sell Tanzanite by claiming that is has chameleon type qualities i.e. changes colour. Well of course it does. It's strongly trichroic so when it's viewed from different angles you get different shades of blue, purple, pink (and occasionally a red colour). To market it as a "chameleon" is misleading to the extreme. I believe Gems in the US have been trying to sell this for ages.

Don't fall for the hype - it's tosh and nonsense (words cleaned up considerably).

Edited to add: Just had a look at the website - the pictures are all photoshopped so you can't tell the real colour but if the Tanzanites are showing two colours i.e. blue/green then this suggests they're probably unheated material.

Last edited:
Ah... Thanks Meesh. I was hoping you'd be along!

I haven't seen a lot of tanzanite, but all of it I have seen has changed colour. Hey ho.

OMG I've just looked at their enhancements page to see if there was anything on "chameleon" tanzanite - look at Zoisite. They're saying that it's either heated (common - no problems with this) OR COATED! Serious issues with this. Whilst they say it's "rare" - why have it on their page if they don't sell it?

Before anybody buys - please make sure that the chameleon tanzanite isn't coated.

OMG I've just looked at their enhancements page to see if there was anything on "chameleon" tanzanite - look at Zoisite. They're saying that it's either heated (common - no problems with this) OR COATED! Serious issues with this. Whilst they say it's "rare" - why have it on their page if they don't sell it?

Before anybody buys - please make sure that the chameleon tanzanite isn't coated.

That would be funny if it wasn't such a con. How do they get away with it?

Calico I'm really not sure whether this is coated Tanzanite or not but their enhancement page has raised alarm bells. I'd hate to see somebody buy a worthless stone thinking they've bought something "rare"!

wasnt it Herman the German in Rowan & Martin's Laugh In that said that Argey lol? or was that before your time? :54:

Arte Johnson..used to love R & M's Laugh In!!

german.jpg

Calico I'm really not sure whether this is coated Tanzanite or not but their enhancement page has raised alarm bells. I'd hate to see somebody buy a worthless stone thinking they've bought something "rare"!

But that's the problem, isn't it Meeshoo? People like me would believe the spiel if it wasn't for knowledgable folk like you around to put us right lol!

Meeshoo is right on, there is alot of shaking and baking and diffusing going on in the gem industry now and more__ is coming. The andesine scam woke alot of us up last year and now there's some serious research looking at so called paraiba tourmaline being sold out there. Yep, now all of a sudden there's a bunch of dark blue purple tanzanite (funny how they all look about the same colour,hint,hint,hint)showed at Tuscon .Things that make you go hmmmmmmm, very interesting.............

Sorry, I meant to spell Tucson.:11: Is some of the new tanzanite being coated???:11: Funny how the one carat size gemstones are almost as dark as those in the over 5 carat size.

Did anyone see the Chameleon Tanzanite show last night and, if so, was anything said about the stones and any treatments?

Latest posts

Back