"What can you get for £20 these days?"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

silversequin

Registered Shopper
this burning question was posed by Andrew of Gantineu (sp) while he and Debbie F were marvelling at a little bag of products at this price and saying what a great gift it would make, how it was a marvel for the money, how it's almost impossible to get a decent present for someone for less than twenty quid, oh marvel, oh wonder, oh fabulous etc. Of course no mention of the p and p which adds at least another £3.

Well Andrew and Debbie I have news for you, there are loads ways you can spend £20 and give very thoughtful and welcome gifts, you just have to shop around and use your imagination. For example you could get a decent bottle of wine and still have change for a reasonable bunch of flowers, on my local market they do lovely hand tied bouquets for around a tenner. You could get a gift bag and fill it up with an assortment of travel minis from a massive selection from Boots, you could buy a few paperbacks, or a couple of CDs. I guess what they really meant was "what can you get for £20 on QVC these days?"

Sometimes I don't think the presenters are living in the real world. You're right £20 could get a pretty decent present almost anywhere, in fact if you shopped around a bit as well the chances are you'd find something thats in a sale and worth double that price! I certainly would want more than a measly little bag containing a couple of toiletries, however prestigious the brand...you usually find with this sort of thing, you get say enough for one, maybe two baths, less than a weeks worth of body lotion...hardly worth the bother if you ask me.

It beats me how they gasp with excitement at this sort of thing.....I agree they must be using QVC as a yardstick!

I agree with all that's been said. I have a lot of Birthday gifts to buy (10 grandchildren for starters) so I have to keep a limit on what I spend and £20 is tops. Adults usually get a gift voucher and for the children I get advice from mum on what to buy and sometimes it means clubbing together with aunts etc to buy a bigger item. For friends it's usually just a card.

What they were flogging would be a really useless gift anyway. Who wants a month's supply of some anti-ageing stuff? It's not going to take ten years off you in a month is it?

What they were flogging would be a really useless gift anyway. Who wants a month's supply of some anti-ageing stuff? It's not going to take ten years off you in a month is it?

Too true, then what happens if person likes the stuff, yep they get reeled in to buy products that cost a fortune.
it's like when they do perricone TSV, no way would I buy a brand that I couldn't afford to keep up with if I liked it once the TSV had been used up

Yes, Debbie Flint and Andrew made a good pairing last night. As the TSV was approaching advanced orders, Debbie was trying to panic us by saying, "get one for a friend, she will say why didn't you get me one?" Er, sorry I would not dream of paying £50 for face cream for one of my friends, they might be offended even if I had that sort of money to spend on them, which I don't. Debbie often uses that as one of her hard sell tactics.

Last edited:
TJC have been boring the pants off people for the last two hours selling 20 glass pearl bracelets

Pretty, all colours, enough to do up to 20 people, crackers, party bags etc for £9.95?

I once got my sister a mini Gatineau set for her birthday, around the £25 mark, she wasn't impressed at all, I don't think as she never said anything else about it. So that for me, was not a successful gift purchase.

I wouldn't give a collection of mini sizes as a gift - always looks a bit mean. Would buy them for myself to test a product before investing in the full size, or as travel sizes. I always think a bath product makes a nice gift for someone that appreciates quality brands - such as the Decleor Algaromes or one of the Elemis ones. Not much change out of £20 for those these days.

You could get a medium good candle, along with flowers. Or i buy a lot of things in the n.x. sale, and put them away
for birthday presents, and christmas presents. A nice picture frame, a mug filled with sweets, and i always wrap things
individually and put a message relevant to each present, so they sort of guess what it is. Think personal touches mean
a lot and look good :happy:

I don't think I would think much of receiving anti aging stuff for my birthday!

Just come back from Asda, they had some Yankee Simply Home Candles for £9, so you could get two and some change for a card, and no p & p.

Debenhams have recently had a good sale so I bought 2 pairs of real silver drop earrings,, 2 silver pendants with chains, 2 silver rings, 2 clip on silver charms, all of them sterling silver, all part or full Christmas presents for £83 in total from their Simply Silver dept. The sales girl wanted me to buy the Simply Silver gift boxes but I bought half a dozen leather look velvet lined jewellery gift boxes from Ebay ( £6 for 10 of them ), took the items off their simply silver cards and packaging, and in the posh looking gift boxes they look as if they`d been bought from a small high end jewellery shop instead of a large department store.

I enjoy the "challenge" of finding lovely presents for a few pounds, especially if I can personalise them. One Christmas I got bone china mugs from EBay printed with photos of our family pets on for Mum and sister and my brother's 3 kids on for him as he had split up from his wife and missed the children so much. Also found someone who could produce personalised wrapping paper which I got for my sister as she has an unusual name. I probably spent under a tenner for each person for these and everyone like them (well, so they said !). We have never spent a fortune on anyone's presents, we weren't brought up with that sort of money in the 1950's/60's.

Goodness, "what can you get for £20 these days???" Are these people on the same planet as me? Amazon Marketplace books for a start off, any book you care to mention, basically for under a fiver, AND recycling so saving the planet, let alone Ebay where I saw a gorgeous Olay lipstick with spf 15, boxed and brand new with no postage for £2. Last year I got my best mates girlfriend a brand new Versace lipstick for £3 and an £18 Arden one for £4 from a local 'factory outlet' type shop. Then there's pound stores as someone said, 3 weeks ago my local one had Llyods pharmacy body fat anylisers for £1, so thats one for Mum who is dieting and one for best mate also struggling with results. Then we have charity shops, where in recent weeks I have found a brand new GAP mens leather jacket for £6, a 2 bottle perfume set from a famous brand for £3.95 still sealed and zillions of gifty sets for under £2. A huuuuge boquet and a bottle of wine wont even set you back £12 in Morrisons..........shall I go on :p Sometimes I really really really hate these people who think we all have £20 for a 'stocking filler'. Seethe mode off :)

Think Jill F. spends that on her lunch, or a couple of coffees and a biscuit, ( not for her ) he he

A Woman in a Dressing Gown with Yvonne Mitchell (very under-rated actress) Anthony Quayle Sylvia Simms £9 Amazon remastered, fab fab film.

Latest posts

Back