Basso

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Buying your meat with consideration and compassion for the animal is a very good point. Not only is it ethical it must be better for you. Look at how those battery chickens are pumped up with water adding chemicals, YUK! Apart from the moral aspect I couldn't bear to be the recipient of that suffering for a sunday roast or a curry! I was veggie for 20 + years. I eat free fange naturally reared & fed chicken & pork now. I think it's the least I can do as a human who can make that choice. The animals whose joints are neatly wrapped up with no info about how they were reared or what they were reared on personally makes me shudder. The people responsible couldn't give a stuff what the long term effects are to the people who eat it or what chemicals are in the animal being consumed.

Buy from your local butchers the best way to ensure the meats more than likely come from local farms & will have been slaughtered locally also , the days when cattle were carted from one end of the uk to the other to be slaughtered are thankfully long gone because of the risk of disease

I know my village butcher has meat from several local farms , sadly when independent butchers close people whine , maybe they should use them when there open rather than buying from places like tesco

Buy from your local butchers the best way to ensure the meats more than likely come from local farms & will have been slaughtered locally also , the days when cattle were carted from one end of the uk to the other to be slaughtered are thankfully long gone because of the risk of disease

I know my village butcher has meat from several local farms , sadly when independent butchers close people whine , maybe they should use them when there open rather than buying from places like tesco

Some people can't afford to use local butchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i agree when you have a fiver in your arse pocket & a family of 4 to feed , ethics & morals go out the window , have been there done that got the tee shirt , but i cant say I find the butchers here any more expensive that meat from Tesco or Morrisons, other than the chicken i feed my dogs . meat I buy for myself as I live alone is minimal compared with the amount I had to buy for a family so I would probably have opted for value ranges

I try as much as I can to buy local but sometimes, especially this time of year, I'm not ashamed to admit I go the Aldi/Iceland route. Our local butchers is very pricey BUT when I do buy from there you can definately tell the difference in quality. And his chilli pork sausages are amazing!!

I try as much as I can to buy local but sometimes, especially this time of year, I'm not ashamed to admit I go the Aldi/Iceland route. Our local butchers is very pricey BUT when I do buy from there you can definately tell the difference in quality. And his chilli pork sausages are amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

There used to be a butchers at the bottom of Chapel St which sold umpteen different types of sausages. Is it still there Sparkles ? I haven`t been to Chorley since my dad died 10 years ago so I`m well out of touch.

Iceland were one of the first food retailers to ban GM goods and Aldi foods regularly top food quality polls so nothing to be ashamed about shopping there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

There used to be a butchers at the bottom of Chapel St which sold umpteen different types of sausages. Is it still there Sparkles ? I haven`t been to Chorley since my dad died 10 years ago so I`m well out of touch.

Yes! That's the place. He has soooo many. I'm making it my mission to try them all :p

@Catherine. I was a strict vegetarian for 4 years until I went to live in France. I can't quite remember how long it was - perhaps six months before I reverted to my previous carnivore ways. The food was just too delicious to miss out on.

i agree when you have a fiver in your arse pocket & a family of 4 to feed , ethics & morals go out the window , have been there done that got the tee shirt , but i cant say I find the butchers here any more expensive that meat from Tesco or Morrisons, other than the chicken i feed my dogs . meat I buy for myself as I live alone is minimal compared with the amount I had to buy for a family so I would probably have opted for value ranges

One cannot put a price on principles, for any reason. Without a moral compass to guide us, what do we have? Just my opinion.

One can when one has 4 children and ones husband to feed and ones bank account is not very happy!

One cannot put a price on principles, for any reason. Without a moral compass to guide us, what do we have? Just my opinion.

Say that when your kids are crying from hunger.

Ok, so doesnt happen here very often anymore, but within a lifetime it has.
And in other parts of the world it still does.

If you can afford to have high and mighty principles, then bully for you.

Cheers,
Karen

Say that when your kids are crying from hunger.

Ok, so doesnt happen here very often anymore, but within a lifetime it has.
And in other parts of the world it still does.

If you can afford to have high and mighty principles, then bully for you.

Cheers,
Karen

Well said!!

I have a friend who is a vegetarian but she loves a nice fillet steak and often devours one with great relish.

It is difficult when money is tight and all any of us can do is the best we can as we pass through this life.

I listened to a very interesting programme on Radio 4 the other day which described how religious organisations are distributing food to the needy in the UK, mostly victims of the recession. The programme was an eye-opener and I hope the link works http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01p6ryz As others have pointed out, principles are well and good, but they won't feed a hungry family.

This one can if food needs to be put on the table and money is tight. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back