Basso

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

for some unknown reason, a lot of people call themselves vegetarian if they eat fish and quite a lot if they just don't eat red meat.

One cannot put a price on principles, for any reason. Without a moral compass to guide us, what do we have? Just my opinion.

You clearly dont do joined up thinking do you , has '' one'' tried feeding 2 sons that eat as much as an adult & then 2 more to feed on a fiver , I seriously dont care where the meat came from, how it was slaughtered or reared , the humans ALWAYS come first in my world

You clearly dont do joined up thinking do you , has '' one'' tried feeding 2 sons that eat as much as an adult & then 2 more to feed on a fiver , I seriously dont care where the meat came from, how it was slaughtered or reared , the humans ALWAYS come first in my world

Thank you Madge, a voice of reaason and sanity! I struggled financially when my children were small. We were vegetarian for a few years, but it wasn't any cheaper as a lot of the food we ate came from health food shops, which were costly. And, depite my considerable skills as a cook, a lot of the meals were dull and heavy. When we started to eat meat again, I had to rely on cheaper cuts and, strangely enough, my moral compass told me the health of my four growing children was more important than how their dinner was slaughtered.

I am not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, but speaking generally.

If people ensure that they don't buy ready meals, fags, booze, stuff of QVC, and bought fresh but "reduced" vegetables, they would find that t very big chicken will go a long way with roast, pie, casserole or curry, and really the choice is whether to pay £2 or £3 more for free range over standard cheap battery ones injucted with water. I make use of the freezer not with ready meals but with home cooked spag bol where we make double. We always buy own brand and the cheapest pasta and tinned tomatos and look very carefully at supermarket trickery on pricing. We buy reduced goods and either use it or freeze it.

My mum was on a very low wage, mortgage to pay and on her own with 3 children to feed. She managed to feed us and pay all the bills, but it was by no means easy and she had absolutely no help from my dad. She only got her own clothes if they were reduced, never bought hereslf anything and over the years I have given her my unwanted toilettries which she always uses up!

In her case she chose to get the cheapest chicken and eggs, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't sway her. She chose to get 3 for 2 on something else and stuck it in the freezer where it stayed for months, so if she had wanted to she COULD have got the more expensive chicken.

Thank you Madge, a voice of reaason and sanity! I struggled financially when my children were small. We were vegetarian for a few years, but it wasn't any cheaper as a lot of the food we ate came from health food shops, which were costly. And, depite my considerable skills as a cook, a lot of the meals were dull and heavy. When we started to eat meat again, I had to rely on cheaper cuts and, strangely enough, my moral compass told me the health of my four growing children was more important than how their dinner was slaughtered.

I used to do lots of dinners like Shepard's pie for my lot & stews , thankfully I didnt have fussy eaters & to be honest i could always stretch out any stewing meat by adding a lot of root vegetables , you do become very aware of prices when you are feeling the pinch & I tried lots of the value brands & if everyone ate them I would buy again

Lots of us have never been in a position to be able to just throw what we like in the shopping trolley . even now theres only me to cater for I still try to keep down my grocery bill as much as I can .

My lads also loved to help make pizza , so much cheaper than buying already made & when my parents kept apple trees & rhubarb i would make some crumble or make pies & freeze them for another pudding

You do what you have to do to ensure your broods fed warm dry & happy

I am not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, but speaking generally.

If people ensure that they don't buy ready meals, fags, booze, stuff of QVC, and bought fresh but "reduced" vegetables, they would find that t very big chicken will go a long way with roast, pie, casserole or curry, and really the choice is whether to pay £2 or £3 more for free range over standard cheap battery ones injucted with water. I make use of the freezer not with ready meals but with home cooked spag bol where we make double. We always buy own brand and the cheapest pasta and tinned tomatos and look very carefully at supermarket trickery on pricing. We buy reduced goods and either use it or freeze it.

My mum was on a very low wage, mortgage to pay and on her own with 3 children to feed. She managed to feed us and pay all the bills, but it was by no means easy and she had absolutely no help from my dad. She only got her own clothes if they were reduced, never bought hereslf anything and over the years I have given her my unwanted toilettries which she always uses up!

In her case she chose to get the cheapest chicken and eggs, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't sway her. She chose to get 3 for 2 on something else and stuck it in the freezer where it stayed for months, so if she had wanted to she COULD have got the more expensive chicken.

i agree sometimes that buying cheaper can be false economy . I tend to buy branded coffee & washing liquid for my washer , but food wise I tend to do what you do . and freeze stuff like chillie & currys & have one day a week using the oven rather than have it on everyday for the same amount of time to cook a piddley small amount of food

I grumble all the way round the supermarket at the prices but I think its because I am just grumpy:grin:

They would all die off and not be replaced.

Really!! how would you stop them breeding. Pay a vet to castrate all the bull calves and boars.|If they didn't go for food we would be overrun with cattle/sheep/pigs etc. Then there would be mass culls (remember the cattle pyres after foot and mouth a couple of years ago) Surely much better to feed the population

Really!! how would you stop them breeding. Pay a vet to castrate all the bull calves and boars.|If they didn't go for food we would be overrun with cattle/sheep/pigs etc. Then there would be mass culls (remember the cattle pyres after foot and mouth a couple of years ago) Surely much better to feed the population

yes but most of them are bred for food in the first place!

They would not be breeding though as they would not be getting fed by the farmer as the farmer was out of work...when the last had gone to slaughter then there would be no more.

Much better to feed the population.

If meat production stopped tomorrow then most herds would disappear because farming is a business and farmers could not keep animals if there was no end market for them.

You know I think this thread now has 5 clear topics and may one (lol) suggest we all bullet point our view on:

A) eating meat pro or con
B) wearing fur pro or con
C) hunting pro or con
D) choosing free range over battery pro or con if A is pro
E) wearing leather pro or con

Mine are:

A) pro
B) con
C) con
D) pro
E) pro

Good thinking Weathergirl,
a) pro
b) con
c) con
d) indifferent
e) pro

Can i just add it would be really nice if we could stay non judgmental of each other. Everyone's circumstances are different and everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

BB is quite simply a Pro!

I don't wear fur but I'm not anti. I am, however, against "the hunt" but not necessarily against controlling foxes.

Isn't a vegetarian who eats fish a pescatarian or is that someone who only eats fish. Or have I made the word up?

Just wanted to say that if you want to feed your family cheaply, then non-meat protein sources such as beans, pulses, soy products, nuts and dairy produce are much cheaper than buying meat, and I speak from experience.
As long as we're all happy with our choices, that's the main thing. I'm a firm believer in 'what goes around comes around.'

Latest posts

Back