Basso

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Just switching over, and notice the obnoxiously sleazy Dennis Basso is on with Debbie - I like Debs but wish she would refuse to present with him - talking about how his coats are worn by stars like Meryl Streep and Dame Shirley Bassey, and are worn in films, and now 'you can wear my coats'. What he doesn't tell us, is that the coats made for the movies are made in genuine fur, obtained by murdering the young of animals whose fur is so desired and valuable that this horrible man has no morals which would prevent him from doing anything to make money. (see previous threads). I would ask people who excuse their purchase of Basso by insisting 'I wouldn't wear real fur', to consider that hiis main business IS genuine fur products and that, by buying from his 'faux fur' range - the only reasons his genuine fur is not available on QVC are twofold: 1. too expensive 2. those who watch QVC would not wear it, it is unethical. It is not politically correct to wear the coat of an animal who has been murdered to enable you to so do.

You make a good point Louise, by buying the fake stuff he sells you are inadvertantly supporting the entire company. A company that founded itself on being a furrier to the wealthy. His real fur trade is a booming business too! I found that out after watching something about the resentment PETA have towards furriers & his label came up. I bought several coats from his range on QVC before I knew this. To be honest I've seen his shows & can see nothing of comparible quality to the coats I bought. The current collection looks very thin & far too shiny by comparison & I never see the full length ones anymore.

No problem with fur here. Same as I have no problem with mass produced meat. Before you all jump onto the bandwagon think about your own "use" of animals.

Yes I have just had some chicken breast for my supper and I'm looking forward to sleeping in my feather and down duvet.
I used to go shooting with my dad and I had to finish off the animals that he shot. I don't agree with shooting for pleasure now and believe that animals which we are going to 'consume' should be killed with the minimum amount of distress and suffering.

Hi,

I have a couple of DB coats and they are lovely.

I did catch a bit of a show this afternoon tho - I don't think he liked Pipa very much. He looked deciddly annoyed with her. Only cheered up when they took some telephone calls.

Cheers,
karen

We're now going to get a load of posts about how it's 'different' killing an animal for meat than it it is for fur. Or how people would really love to be vegetarian "but....." Hypocrisy will abound as usual with this subject.

We may even get someone posting a link to that hideous YouTube video of a creature being skinned alive. In return I may show you a few home truths about how your tuna makes its way to the can (but fish aren't important are they?)

If you think Dennis Basso is availing himself of low-rent Chinese fur farms then you are deluded to the max. Can you be so sure about the origins of that burger you ate last week?

Yes I have just had some chicken breast for my supper and I'm looking forward to sleeping in my feather and down duvet.
I used to go shooting with my dad and I had to finish off the animals that he shot. I don't agree with shooting for pleasure now and believe that animals which we are going to 'consume' should be killed with the minimum amount of distress and suffering.

No one's perfect & each to their own. Personally I only eat free range chicken & fish. I do my best & if someone in the chain has been immoral or evil with the pain & suffering they've contributed to that's on their conscience or not as they see fit. There is no denying that the fur trade is hideously cruel. Such cruelty is pure greed considering the $80,000 a star allegedly paid for one of Basso's coats!

I was vegetarian for 7 years and i was constantly ill. I eat meat now and not only do i love it I don't feel guilty for eating it.

This is not a thread about being a vegetarian, and to liken eating meat to cold blooded cruelty is ludicrous, because it equates something with arguably a purpose necessary to society with one with no purpose at all other than vanity and greed. It depends where you draw the line. I personally eat meat, preferring my chicken to be free range. I wear leather shoes and carry leather bags. But leather is a by-product of the meat industry. I think it's fine to eat meat, but wrong to kill and skin an animal that you have no intention of eating, just so you can wear a coat and show off how rich you are. Rich in wealth but poor in humanity. I am also against hunting, and wish they could come up with a humane way of controlling the population of those animals that cause problems in the countryside. I don't care what hunting does for the economy, jobs etc. If something is wrong, it is wrong, end of. And don't tell me the law change made a single jot of difference. I know those bastards ignore it. They make me sick.

How do you know that animals killed for DB's fur is "cold blooded cruelty"?

Eat meat, wear leather, but don't kill an animal you're not going to eat? very noble but what do you think think they do with the carcasses of animals killed for their pelt! Throw them away? What do you think our pet dogs and cats are eating?

Please, get real.

I have been vegetarian since childhood but I get what you're saying, I probably do use meat by products like leather sometimes. But even if I weren't I do see some difference between eating meat and wearing real fur - I do see your point Burly Bear but, I don't quite agree. For one thing there is a real difference between meat and other foods nutritionally, it isn't so easy to get your nutritional quota without meat as I know from experience. But real fur is completely replaceable, for Basso's customers at least. People might find it hard to give up eating meat which they do every day, but how hard is it not to wear that fur coat for a few nights out? There may be an element of hypocrisy but let's not make the perfect the enemy of the good. Also, few of us would feel comfortable eating an endangered species for lunch but I remember reading somewhere that Basso does use the fur of rare and endangered animals.

If you don't have a problem with wearing real fur and you buy Basso faux fur from QVC, that is one thing. If you do dislike the use of real fur though, I wouldn't buy his faux fur range because you are supporting someone whose career and business is in real fur. To me it is just unnecessary.

Also, he seems kind of arrogant, living in his own spoilt world and prepared to flog anything to the masses. As I said before I bought a coat from his range before I knew his background (one of the few that looked ok, I hate most of his look) and it was not good, the buttons were half off when it arrived. I think he should probably call it a day and concentrate on his health, he doesn't look like his busy lifestyle is doing him good in that respect.

ps. Interesting what you say LE lover, I do think it would do me good to eat meat. I'm not saying anyone should feel guilty for eating meat at all, it is a pretty basic human activity after all. I just didn't enjoy it, it wasn't a reasoned decision to give it up.

Last edited:
Kill it. Skin it. Eat the body. Wear the pelt.

I have no problem with this. It is called "the food chain". The human race exists because of this. It's a no brainer.

Catherine i always loved meat but on a school trip i took the children to a farm in the spring,cue lots of little lambs running around and that was it, I stopped that day.
It was fine to start with but i became ill and deficient in so many things that the Dr advised me too start eating meat again. I feel much better for it.

Did anyone see him on Inside Claridges? He must be worth an absolute fortune. Having seen that programme I think that the Tova trailers on qvc might be filmed in one of the suites at Claridges. All very matey for them. But what about Lenny? Premier Inn maybe?

People will always hanker for status symbols whether its a gas guzzling Rolls Royce which uses twice as much petrol as other cars , a huge diamond from Africa where the miners are paid a pittance or a real fur coat. Your average person couldn`t afford any of those and when in pursuit of status symbols, people often don`t think morally or ethically.
The Bible states animals were put on Earth for man`s use, back then it was easier, you reared them, killed them, ate them and wore them because it was often the only way to get nutrition and keep warm. Poor people wore animal pelts and rich people wore silk. Now things have reversed. I eat meat because my body needs a balanced diet, I wear leather shoes because I need hard wearing protection for my feet but I won`t wear a real fur coat. The animals reared for fur coats aren`t eaten, they aren`t reared for food, the fur isn`t a by product and I can be just as warm in manmade fibres. If animals are reared for food and their skins are also put to good use then I don`t object, if an animal is reared simply to become a status or fashion symbol then I do. Call me a hypocrite if you like.

Its very much a personal choice, I have no problem with fur either , if we are all honest & simply wouldnt use or eat anything thats involved animals we simply wouldnt get up in the morning.

can any of you say hand on heart that not a single thing they have touched, daubed on there face , bathed in , ate , sat on , washed there clobber in or taken by way of medication hasnt in some way involved '' animals'' then if so I applaud you .. if not wake up & smell the coffee

Totally against wearing Fur so hope someone throws some paint over him next time hes leaving Claridges :clapping:

Latest posts

Back