What's the best thing you've bought?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I miss those days too.
Calm, knowledgeable, personable presenters.
Gemstones you'd never find on the high street - does anyone remember amblygonite or astraeolite?

The reason 'Astraeolite' wasn't found on the high street is because it's another Gemporia made-up name.

Astraolite is simply Pyrite inclusions in clear Quartz.

Oooh you've had some lovely pieces and absolute bargains over the years! Great to hear about them.

Tookalon is a name I remember, I don't think I bought any of those pieces. I didn't see the "finger bangle" style rings, they sound immense!

I was only a sporadic watcher over the years, I don't remember Steve Ashton. Sounds like he was worth watching if you got gold under £20!

The best bargain I got was when they had the USA channel starting out, Lynn did a "let's make friends, not profit" auction and I got a duchess style silver ring with a cognac coloured garnet surrounded by white zircons for $5. Loved it.
Your cognac garnet ring sounds a stunner, I love that colour, so classy. Back in the day, Gems did some brilliant auctions to encourage people to watch - now all they do is encourage you to switch channels. Steve Ashton was very to the point - none of the claptrap and comparisons to Harry Winston jewellery or the Koh-in-Noor diamond,:ROFLMAO: he was there to sell, just got on with it and he could really rattle through the pieces at times.

The Tookalon range was excellent, if my items are anything to go by - although Steve Bennett kept coming on saying the usual 'they can't last much longer, look at these prices' spiel, etc. etc. Lo and behold, they then did pull the plug and Tookalon was no longer available. Never in a million years would they do it today, so much silver was used in each piece, but lovely designs - I would go back to watching for that range alone if they brought it back. Well-made too, not one stone has ever come loose in any of the pendants I bought over 15 years ago.

When I think of it, the gemstone rings cut from a solid piece were nuts - and I was nuts to buy one! I stupidly hadn't checked the weight and didn't realise how heavy it would be - kept it as a novelty really, but it taught me a lesson to read the details in future!!

To be fair to Gems, I've had some lovely items from them over the years, a couple of pieces too, that I wish I had sent back. I love sapphires, and have quite a few gorgeous sapphire rings, and around 3 silver sapphire bracelets, which are just lovely. I have so many rings in so many different stones, that I am afraid to count the total. 😱 These days everything seems more expensive, and I cannot abide the shouty annoying presenters and, of course, Jade Troth is just a total bore and turn off. I would imagine he will be the death of the channel.
I agree - no question that their earlier stuff was excellent and I bought quite a bit for presents, too. Your sapphire items sound lovely.

Your cognac garnet ring sounds a stunner, I love that colour, so classy. Back in the day, Gems did some brilliant auctions to encourage people to watch - now all they do is encourage you to switch channels. Steve Ashton was very to the point - none of the claptrap and comparisons to Harry Winston jewellery or the Koh-in-Noor diamond,:ROFLMAO: he was there to sell, just got on with it and he could really rattle through the pieces at times.

The Tookalon range was excellent, if my items are anything to go by - although Steve Bennett kept coming on saying the usual 'they can't last much longer, look at these prices' spiel, etc. etc. Lo and behold, they then did pull the plug and Tookalon was no longer available. Never in a million years would they do it today, so much silver was used in each piece, but lovely designs - I would go back to watching for that range alone if they brought it back. Well-made too, not one stone has ever come loose in any of the pendants I bought over 15 years ago.

When I think of it, the gemstone rings cut from a solid piece were nuts - and I was nuts to buy one! I stupidly hadn't checked the weight and didn't realise how heavy it would be - kept it as a novelty really, but it taught me a lesson to read the details in future!!
That range sounds nice. And they sound like men's jewellery too, being so heavy. That's one (of many, it seems) thing I think they should do. A range of men's jewellery. Even if women wear them, men don't always need, or want 'frilly' jewellery ;) I do have some though. You need to put a photo up to show the size ;) I remember buying a ring off ebay and it stands probably a good inch or so off the finger: that's heavy, but I have worn it more than once :p

That range sounds nice. And they sound like men's jewellery too, being so heavy. That's one (of many, it seems) thing I think they should do. A range of men's jewellery. Even if women wear them, men don't always need, or want 'frilly' jewellery ;) I do have some though. You need to put a photo up to show the size ;) I remember buying a ring off ebay and it stands probably a good inch or so off the finger: that's heavy, but I have worn it more than once :p
I know Steve Bennett introduced a men's range yonks ago - it was called Mattom - but I don't think it sold particularly well. I didn't watch the shows it was in very often, but I do recall a couple of rings, one was signet ring style and plain gold and the other was set with a solitaire stone (can't recall the stone(s). There were probably other items, but I only watched bits of a couple of the shows. I remember the range because Steve told us - repeatedly(!!) - that the range was named after two of his sons, Matt and Tom.

Another range they tried - years ago - was a range of jewellery items aimed at young girls. Seems that didn't last, either.

I know Steve Bennett introduced a men's range yonks ago - it was called Mattom - but I don't think it sold particularly well. I didn't watch the shows it was in very often, but I do recall a couple of rings, one was signet ring style and plain gold and the other was set with a solitaire stone (can't recall the stone(s). There were probably other items, but I only watched bits of a couple of the shows. I remember the range because Steve told us - repeatedly(!!) - that the range was named after two of his sons, Matt and Tom.

Another range they tried - years ago - was a range of jewellery items aimed at young girls. Seems that didn't last, either.
That range rings a bell somewhere between my ears. I did buy a bi-colour tanzanite in a men's size ages back, but it was a one off piece at that time. A rare thing you'd get VW up in ring sizes. So, I jumped at it ;)

Talking of past ranges, Remember that £10 backwards collection. It did have a name, but it was to all intents a 'starter' series.

That range rings a bell somewhere between my ears. I did buy a bi-colour tanzanite in a men's size ages back, but it was a one off piece at that time. A rare thing you'd get VW up in ring sizes. So, I jumped at it ;)

Talking of past ranges, Remember that £10 backwards collection. It did have a name, but it was to all intents a 'starter' series.
Yes, it can be difficult to get larger sizes in rings, and from memory the single-stone ring that I saw was a nice design and no reason at all why it couldn't be for men and women (I'm now thinking they maybe did a choice of different solitaire stones, but I may be wrong on this, as I watched so few of the men's range hours).

The £10 backwards collection has escaped my memory; I remember the occasional £1 auctions and the 'under £20 hours' but that's about it. Seeing the jade on-screen (and Dave Troth on one of his Monologues to the Masses) may have caused a few more brain cells to die off!

Clearly my brain is too free to wonder on this Bank Holiday Monday.....
I wonder if the 'Managers Special' sting still is accurate (or perhaps ever was) for those items that get the description. I am sure that I have seen items presented for sale on an occasion and then some days later presented as a Managers Special. Same item, same price but now promoted with 'every stage overseen by a 'manager' mantra.
A further thought is do you think that some/certain presenters know actually what a 'closeout' actually is? I hear it on TJC who are usually attributing it to chains/necklace/bracelet usually in gold and sometimes silver. Over on Gemporia it seems to be describing an item which is on an 'unbelievable' price without it being a 'job lot' bought in from another retailer or wholesaler.

know actually what a 'closeout' actually is
I've always been of the assumption that it is where a business is selling off stock 'cheap' and in bulk coz they are in trouble, need money quick, or are going out of business, and another business or suchlike gets it at a bargain and sells it on thereafter.

I had a check of my stuff from Gems by Collection and Eos seems to be its name. Looked on the website and most 'in' that collection are now over £10.

They should bring in a collection called 'Eon' instead - because some of their prices are shocking..........

Latest posts

Back