QVC recovery program

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weathergirl

Registered Shopper
Over the last couple of years I have been gradually weaning myself off shopping...particularly QVC shopping. I realised that I could not just go cold turkey...it had to be a gradual re-wiring of the brain to change my behaviour.

As part of this I have been doing a few things to lessen the impact...namely 1) price comparisons. 2) ebay selling 3) use the MBG 4) stuff I keep...use every drop. These are really effective actually.

However I still can't wean myself off it completely. I still check on this forum every day. I still check the "new today" items on Q website (I rarely buy). And I still put it on when I get home from work once the kids are in bed....just for a few minutes before hubby comes in the room and starts complaining. And I do the same at night...I often get so tired before my husband...who finds me asleep with the light on and one of the Q channels showing something random on in the background.

Maybe next year I will do better :)

F.a.r.t

We could do with a new F.A.R.T thread I think :giggle:- where people used to post if they were tempted and the F.A.R.Ters used to ecourage them to resist!

Was it 'Forumites Against Reckless' TSV spending or something?

Good thread. I am down to about one buy a month on QVC now. This month was easiyo so useful. Last month doll10 lipsticks so not quite so useful. Amazon spending has stopped as well and I rarely go to the dreaded DHS.

I'm doing ok too. Haven't bought anything for over a month. I'm moving house in the next few weeks and the expense and the amount of stuff I have has focused the mind.

A Yankee autodelivery turned up that I forgotten about last week - but I was strong and sent it straight back.

We could do with a new F.A.R.T thread I think :giggle:- where people used to post if they were tempted and the F.A.R.Ters used to ecourage them to resist!

Was it 'Forumites Against Reckless' TSV spending or something?

We would have to use the full name though, as some complained about the F. A. R. T. being used as it was unpleasant.

f.a.r.t.i.n.g is good for the soul and the purse

It caused a lot of probelms on the forum so returning to that would not be appropriate!

It could be renamed R.E.S.T. Resist expenditure, on shopping telly !

ooh yes I'd like to be able to say "I'm resting Darling!" A bit like an aging actress luvvy!

Today I ordered the Birkenstock Catalina (on auto-pilot) from QVC then cancelled because I got them from ebay (BNIB) for £35 delivered instead of the Q price of just a few pence short of £51 delivered. OK so I didn't get easy pays but I paid with money in my paypal balance from a couple of recent sales and I've no doubt they'll arrive sooner. So "I'm resting Darling!" ...yep - feels gooood!

Oh dear, I had no idea it caused problems on the forum! I can't imagine that F.A.R.T would be offensive to anyone (unless they're suffering from a serious lack of sense of humour) or maybe others took it too far?!! :confused:

Maybe we could be R.E.S.Ters then as Vienna suggests and could start by helping me resist tonight's Bare Minerals TSV!!!! :mysmilie_516:

I've got a drawer full of foundations (including a brand new Mac Studio Fix powder foundation which looks very similar to the BM Ready one), I don't need any eyeshadows or lipsticks, bought 2 Gosh eyeliners last week which are great, but I'm really tempted and feel I will cave in if I watch tonight, HELP!!!

Oh dear, I had no idea it caused problems on the forum! I can't imagine that F.A.R.T would be offensive to anyone (unless they're suffering from a serious lack of sense of humour) or maybe others took it too far?!! :confused:

Maybe we could be R.E.S.Ters then as Vienna suggests and could start by helping me resist tonight's Bare Minerals TSV!!!! :mysmilie_516:

I've got a drawer full of foundations (including a brand new Mac Studio Fix powder foundation which looks very similar to the BM Ready one), I don't need any eyeshadows or lipsticks, bought 2 Gosh eyeliners last week which are great, but I'm really tempted and feel I will cave in if I watch tonight, HELP!!!
Rest two twenties and a tenner on your dressing table alongside your stash of foundations and makeup and ask yourself do you REALLY need the tsv ? I find looking at actual hard cash to the total cost of a qvc purchase really makes me think twice. I REST my case lol

Just checked who is presenting the TSV and unfortunately it's Julia (my fave) - was hoping it would be Anne Dawson who I can't bear to watch!

That price has certainly put me off though so I may be ok and opt for Plan B - which is wait a few weeks for everyone to get their TSVs and then check Ebay for bits of it that people are selling to try and recoup the cost, the urge may have worn off me then too!

I`ve vowed not to spend anymore money with Q until after Christmas. I don`t spend a fortune with them but the past couple of months I`ve bought the AD Synergy duo, the ABC tsv and the recent SBC gels and bodywash tsv. I use the SBC gels everyday and will enjoy trying the bodywashes, I`m also a recent convert to the ABC bodywash and love AD synergy face oil. My recent purchases will last me until well into next year. I like Mally mascara and eye makeup but have never bought one of her tsv`s. I get bits and bobs from her range off Ebay or recently from another forum member.
Q will never make a fortune out of me nowadays but I used to spend much more with them. Nowadays I can usually find what I want much cheaper elsewhere or on the DHS. SBC, ABC and AD synergy are still cheaper from Q and whilst they remain so then Q will still get my custom, albeit little and far between.

Rest two twenties and a tenner on your dressing table alongside your stash of foundations and makeup and ask yourself do you REALLY need the tsv ? I find looking at actual hard cash to the total cost of a qvc purchase really makes me think twice. I REST my case lol

I love this idea!

I've just sent back a couple of recent frivolous buys. I've got my sensible head on again. I love the mixed face/body tsv's but more recently I've thought how I can get the individual products (alternative brands) cheaper elsewhere. However, I can't find anything that quite hits the mark of Elemis Tranquil Touch bath elixir, so I buy from ebay now and just one at a time! I am due another one shortly, but I think it's about 1 every 4 months, so that's not bad!

I went cold turkey about 3 years ago and it didn't hurt one little bit :mysmilie_50: but I still buy one or two things a year (that I used to get from Q) online from cheaper sources either direct, or from ebay or amazon. I did look at the SBC arnica bath soak but the £4.95 P+P put me off and I found it cheaper on ebay.
I did buy lots of craft bits and it was easy to stop buying once they stopped doing regular shows. So I'm definitely resting......

Let me start by admitting : My name is Louise, and I am a meanie! Seriously, though, I hate spending money, with a passion. I am the type of girl that, if I won the lottery, I would invest it. Viv Nicholson, I am not. I will spend any amount on my boxers but, regarding myself, I have to actually need the item, and I am not just talking about treating myself, but groceries, clothes, practical things, etc. If I ask myself : "Do I need it?" - "No" - "Do I want it?" - "Yes" - 95% of the time, I don't buy it. So QVC is certainly not an addiction for me. If I run out of ALL components of my skincare, I will buy another set. Of course, I do buy some things just because I want to, but very few. Like many forumites, my QVC viewing has reduced dramatically. I work full time and cannot watch at work, but I don't feel I am missing out on anything. I will tune in If there is an hour I want to see, or a tsv I am interested in, because I am looking to make a purchase. I cannot recall an occasion, where I have bought an item on the spur of the moment, as in I just happened to be watching, and an item I liked was on. Whenever I spend, I know I am going to do so. Pounds and pence, I suppose I am not a very good QVC customer.
That is me but, if we work hard to earn our money, and can afford it, there is nothing wrong with treating ourselves. It is no-one else's business how we spend our money.

My spending dropped off a long time ago. I weight up now will I use the whole kit from beauty? Then answer these days is no.

I did surcome to Sketchers on 3 easy pay, I love them and wear. But admit I bought from QVC as I was unsure about the sizing etc. Now I know I can check Amazon for deals in the future.

I tip all my make-up out onto my bad in a big pile and get a reality check. I think if all the Kardashians (including Bruce Jenner) used my stash for 10 Years there would still be loads left:mysmilie_12:

I buy sporadically but will have the occasional weak moment and buy more than usual .I am really strict with myself now about returning stuff because if I dither I end up with things I will never use.It doesn't always work,for example a recent time bomb TSV was useless on my skin but I didn't return it.Dont know why.

I should never have bought it.I resisted the hype for a long time ,but somehow got drawn into the "its about to sell out"
drama.

I'm learning though that I can sell things on EBay so I'm gonna give that a go.

Latest posts

Back