Mally TSV 21/2/16

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Was Ali Keenan wearing the Ideal World "Nicole" POTD dress during the 11am Mally hour? :mysmilie_13:

:bandit: Would it be a sacking offence if she did?:mysmilie_506:

Was Ali Keenan wearing the Ideal World "Nicole" POTD dress during the 11am Mally hour? :mysmilie_13:

:bandit: Would it be a sacking offence if she did?:mysmilie_506:

I was just about to post that! It has longer sleeves than the one which Sally Jacks was flogging earlier this week... and it's a "hotter" coral than the dress on IW and it doesn't appear to have the same hemline (sort of a deflated puffball on the IW one). But instinctively it was my first thought when I saw Ali K.

The way both Ali Young and Ali Keenan look made up in the TSV are a really strong selling point for it. Ali Young's normal makeup gives her a rather "slab-face" with no cheek definition to speak of. Last night she honest-to-goodness had cheekbones, and the glow was there not the over-the-top shimmer. She would benefit from taking make-up lessons from whoever on Mally's team made her up. Ali Keenan has extremely deepset eyes which sometimes look hollow. The makeup means her eyes don't look hollow and she really does look fresher and younger.

Ironically, it is waaaaaay too heavy on Mally herself.

I wish she didn't do the flipper the seal routine - barking and clapping (sorry the laugh does sound a bit like a seal's bark to me).

So I would say that clearly Mally and her team really really know how to do classy face-enhancing makeup. All the QVC presenters could do with being "Mallyfied" before going on air. For Ali Young in particular: she never looks as good doing her own makeup, or even when she gets her makeup done by other brands.

Ali and Mally were saying that at present Mally is spending a lot of time in the UK... I wonder if QVC US are dialling back their Mally shows after Mally's financial problems last year? It could also mean that Mally is going to be looking for other outlets in UK and Europe (very possibly including expanding into QVC France).

Last edited:
Did anyone see the eyebrow set? I thought it looked so obviously painted on on everyone when they did a close up. From a distance it looked great but close up they looked so fake. I had quite fancied this item at first too but think l will give it a miss.

A warm happy clappy welcome to the forum Brit1chick, looking forward to reading your posts! :mysmilie_8:

:mysmilie_3:

Ali and Mally were saying that at present Mally is spending a lot of time in the UK... I wonder if QVC US are dialling back their Mally shows after Mally's financial problems last year? It could also mean that Mally is going to be looking for other outlets in UK and Europe (very possibly including expanding into QVC France).

Mally's company was sold as part of bankruptcy proceedings, and what I read said Mally was now just the tv/public face without any management input. Is that not the case? Laura Geller is now in a similar position since she no longer owns her company.

A warm happy clappy welcome to the forum Brit1chick, looking forward to reading your posts! :mysmilie_8:

:mysmilie_3:
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I'm so happy to find a forum full of like minded people. QVC is a passion of mine, I just can't resist.....!

A lot of these people sell their companies - remember Liz Earle did the same thing, although I disapproved of when she sold it to Avon - big time, and it surprised me that she chose them.

I like Mally and really a lot of her items over the years, I must say I have liked. You know I was just thinking this morning when I watched at 11 and watching now, it's very hard on the ears to take both Mally and AK on the same show, I'm not a massive AK fan, I think she is over exuberant a trait I hate.

Anyhow, I've ordered my tsv and a couple of other things. When I eventually die, someone will come to my house and find where I keep my makeup and skin care - as it's not all in the same place, and they will say 'my Gawd she loved her makeup' I have just about every brand and need to have a clearout LoL - guess us folks are all the same though.:mysmilie_47: I love her brushes too, they are terrific.:mysmilie_14:

A lot of these people sell their companies - remember Liz Earle did the same thing, although I disapproved of when she sold it to Avon - big time, and it surprised me that she chose them.

Liz Earle totally betrayed her customers when she sold to Avon and many have not used her products since. It didn't surprise me at all, she's a cold and mercenary woman and was only concerned with how much personal wealth she could generate. She is Anita Roddick Mk 2.

Liz Earle totally betrayed her customers when she sold to Avon and many have not used her products since. It didn't surprise me at all, she's a cold and mercenary woman and was only concerned with how much personal wealth she could generate. She is Anita Roddick Mk 2.
Well said, and I wrote to Liz Earle at the time I first heard about it, not sure if it is still under the Avon Umbrella of companies, or Estee Lauder etc., but one of the things I did like was that LE had the 'leaping bunny' which few companies have qualified for, and which I greatly appreciate, but as for the lady, I totally agree with what you've said Scout, and Anita Rodick, although I guess she was a nicer person.

Someone once told me you don't get to be a millionaire by being nice, guess that's why us 'ordinary' folk don't have the selfishness and nasties to become millionaires.

I hate the Avon brand, and always have since the 70s and probably before, when I found this out, I immediately stopped buying LE and will not go back - they've lost me for good.

Oh come onnnnnn, you start a business to make money, you make a good business, you sell it on to make lots more money. It's not betrayal, this has happened since the dawn of time, it's a capitalist society that we all buy into. Nobody creates a business out of the goodness of their own heart, they create it to make money.

Last edited:
I really like the look of this! I've sworn off skincare, but this is so tempting, I might cave.

I'm a fairly medium BM or a fair in B&B, would the fair or the light be the better bet to go for?

I would go with 'light', as I wear 'fair' in bnb and I've bought this TSV in 'light' because I've worn 'light' in Mally before.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who is annoyed that these 'real time' 'bare faced' make overs aren't? The models still have a full face of make up on from what I saw from the midnight & 11am shows.

For good or ill, I went out without buying... and Fair, Light and Medium are all on waitlist... so my dithering has saved my wallet again.

Liz Earle the company is now owned by Walgreens Boots Alliance - bought last year from Avon for a bargainous £140million.

Creating and running a business takes an enormous amount of time, energy and dedication. Growing it into a major brand takes a lot of hard work, single-mindedness and often a different skillset to starting up a business. I have absolutely no problem with business founders selling up as they reach a plateau in many cases, and the danger of the original person at the helm for too long is that they don't always have the expertise to deal with big-company issues (different corporate obligations, governed by different laws etc). I think it is wise, if it is possible, to find a corporate suitor with compatible ethos, in order to retain the existing customer base... if that isn't possible, I hope they are able to negotiate sufficient ring-fencing to protect the company values that built its success. But bottom line, why isn't Liz entitled to reap the rewards for her hard work? Why is she immoral for doing so? Perhaps she had in the past made statements that she would never sell or never sell to someone who didn't have the Leaping Bunny - is that the case?

I don't see Liz's actions in selling the company are any more or less immoral than any other founder selling to a bigger company for a large sum of money. Inevitably there are consequences that may not be palatable, and sometimes these come in the face of public assurances to the contrary (think Kraft purchase of Cadburys), but the vendor cannot control what the purchaser does once the deal is signed, regardless of assurances given during negotiations.

By the looks of things the new regime seems to have ditched the most blatent "Avon-isms", and I believe they are still entitled to the Leaping Bunny and that is at least independently policed, so some trust can be placed in Liz Earle on that basis.

Mally has done the hour with Jill Franks starting with no foundation or lippy. The eyes were already done, so the face looked very sallow at first. You did see the transformation of her skin when applying the primer and foundation and lippy... it's more of an effort than we have had in the past. It's not on the scale of a Stacey Schieffelin (models prefer, ybf) bare-face, but actually a pretty good effort compared to the previous routine.

=========

I wish they wouldn't demo the lip products on Tiffany. Going outside the line means she looks like CoCo the clown, with lips drawn on by one of her grandkids. It's not a good look on anyone, but especially on Tiffany.

Tiffany rather reminded me of an animated character... finally remembered who... Lady Tottington from Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-rabbit.

Last edited:
I too noticed that even though Mally and AK were saying that the models were being made up from scratch, they still had a light covering of make-up, hence when mally applied the primer, she didn't seem to be touching the model's face.

Bought it this afternoon.
I can use everything except that vile pink lipstick.
May be able to combine it with a weird flesh gold pencil by Laura Geller that is equally vile (its like that 24ct gold lipstick). Lol. The deep cool pink and the lighter gold may combine beautifully to make a softer warmer pink.

I loved this foundation (in fair) when it was last in a kit, but refused to buy it full price, which was something like £37 - absurd.

Actually, i had a clearout of failed foundations last week. Horrifying what a waste of money it has been, over the years.
Am left with 4 brands/shades that actually work, in different textures/shades across the year. This Mally powder in Fair is one of them.
Quite awesome.
And it has only taken 30 years. :mysmilie_8:

I too noticed that even though Mally and AK were saying that the models were being made up from scratch, they still had a light covering of make-up, hence when mally applied the primer, she didn't seem to be touching the model's face.

Yes it was very obvious the models had makeup on already!

Just tried this kit this morning and I think it's absolutely rubbish, the foundation had no coverage at all and the colour (medium) was orangey on my skin. The lipstick is too dark, the eyeshadow is ok-ish, the mascara isn't as good as other brands. The primer is the only thing I like, so I shall definitely be decanting a fair bit of this before I send it back , to make up for the money I've wasted on the p and p.... This is the first make up kit I've ever sent back... I just hope the lip sculpting pencil is better than this rubbish.

Mine came this morning & I've used it all.
Love the primer which I knew I would as already have one nearly finished. Same with the mascara.
Everything else I am hugely disappointed with.
The foundation, Fair, is far too yellow & too dark. How this can be classed as Fair I've no idea. The eyeshadow I agree with Brit1chick is ok-ish, nothing to write home about. It is matt so better than most of her overly glittery ones but hardly any colour to it.
I was surprised at the lipstick. Took the lid off & thought yuk, way too dark & plummy, I tend to suit warm pinks or corals, but was surprised that it didn't look too bad at all when I put it on. If this was the worst thing in the kit I would keep it but the foundation is awful on me, patchy & very yellow so I think I will send it back despite wanting the primer & mascara.

Latest posts

Back