Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well to be fair to Q (OMG what is happening to me???) I think there are quite a few retailers who do not accept Amex cards because of its charges. Years ago this was an occasional problem on business trips when we all had corporate Amex cards and had to put some stuff on our personal credit cards. Of course, that does not for one moment mean that they handled this chap's case correctly!

You are right, Mazza. Some places don't accept Amex due to them charging the retailer 3% to get their money, rather than the 2% VISA etc charge. Those that refuse Amex are mainly small companies, operating on tight margins, so I completely understand. I think larger companies are silly to refuse Amex, though. By way of example, as I was saying in my rambling last post, QVC have lost £600 of sales to me in a short time because they won't take my Amex. It would have cost them an extra £6 to get my money on Amex (fees of £18 instead of £12 from VISA, say). Because of the stance I've taken (also my stubbornness and meanness if I'm honest), they've lost the profit on the £600 I didn't spend with them .... and knowing QVC, that would be about £300! It's shortsighted. Of course, they say it's the system's fault (apparently the board decided to take this wonderful new system despite it not working with Amex cards). They are either really that daft or they are doing it thinking it will save them a bit of money and gambling that people will still buy but use a different card. Not me! They can s0d off.

Oh heck, it's started me off again now!

Think the problem is QVC have suddenly stopped taking them, and not bothered to inform people.

True. People are gradually finding out now.

I thought the deal was they wouldn't accept any new orders using an Amex card, but would honour Easy Pays on orders placed before the Amex ban...obviously not!

It's more to do with whether you have an Amex card already on their systems from a while back. If so, you can continue to use it for all payments (new purchases, EPs, ADs, etc) until it expires or has to be cancelled because you've lost it or something. Well, that's what I was led to believe but they do tend to make it up as they go along and it does seem to depend who you speak to. I had to cancel my card, even though it had a year or two to run, due to possible fraud, so the old card number, expiry date, etc were taken off QVC's systems. Therefore, my replacement card with a different long number was treated as new, even though it's the same account. And Q won't take it.

Stephen the guy on Facebook, insists his card is current and registered with QVC. He was told he had to contact the Finance Department, its a different phone number so looks like it was them deciding. No doubt left a message on the system, so when a CS phoned or answered not sure who told him the card had expired? Bet if it came down to it he would win if they tried to take him for the payment. They have his card details, the card is live/current they can take the money.

Good on that man for his no bull***t approach and refusing to phone the finance dept as instructed by customer service. He's right - why should he have to do the chasing here? His card is active.

Stephen the guy on Facebook, insists his card is current and registered with QVC. He was told he had to contact the Finance Department, its a different phone number so looks like it was them deciding. No doubt left a message on the system, so when a CS phoned or answered not sure who told him the card had expired? Bet if it came down to it he would win if they tried to take him for the payment. They have his card details, the card is live/current they can take the money.

I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the reasons why Q has stopped taking Amex is because they've implemented a new finance system that can't handle Amex (no doubt cheaper) and didn't stop to think about ongoing ADs/easy pays...could be wrong mind but doesn't sound unlikely given Q's form ;)

But surely a big US company like Q still takes it in the US? And I can't believe they have a different payments system in the UK. Most odd,

Having an iPad nightmare here, tried three times to post this! Daren't stay on long as may get hoofed off again. But it just seems odd to me!

I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the reasons why Q has stopped taking Amex is because they've implemented a new finance system that can't handle Amex (no doubt cheaper) and didn't stop to think about ongoing ADs/easy pays...could be wrong mind but doesn't sound unlikely given Q's form ;)

It was only new cards when the old one expired, you could not enter the number as they shorted the number of digits. So there should be no problems with currant cards, as you say with easy pay and just buying. QVC move the goals posts to suit themselves again.

I see they have finally posted the results for BCC - apparently raised more than 2015 so I think that will mean the show night will never be back if they can raise the money without the production costs and using up valuable selling time.

It was only new cards when the old one expired, you could not enter the number as they shorted the number of digits. So there should be no problems with currant cards, as you say with easy pay and just buying. QVC move the goals posts to suit themselves again.

Yes, it is the new system that won't accept a card with anything but 16 digits, as Donna puts it so succinctly. Apologies for my long ranty posts but I was trying to explain this in my post at the bottom of the last page. (Never use 10 words when 1000 will do!!). Doesn't explain the problem the FB guy is currently having though. I suspect they are going to try and get people to stop using Amex on QVC altogether, even if their card has not expired.

I see they have finally posted the results for BCC - apparently raised more than 2015 so I think that will mean the show night will never be back if they can raise the money without the production costs and using up valuable selling time.

I don't believe them, after all they can give any figure but how would the QVC customer really know for sure? Let's face it, QVC aren't exactly renowned for their honesty and integrity.

I am on the QVC Lounge, no freebies. I got an email inviting me. They do surveys and open chats about different stuff, I rarely go there as you cannot start a thread they QVC do it. Lets say I take no prisoners. :mysmilie_50:

The last survey I did was which z listers(my term) would suit certain shows. Amanda Holden, she of the fabulous massive hamper from QVC and praising them on twitter was mentioned as a guest for whatever. Said I had no interest in her or Ruth Mrs.Holmes, who is also coming to QVC. They don't give space for your own comments mores the pity, I would really let them know.

The Lounge its self is just an online forum.

Someone has asked this question on Q's FB page...let's see if Q responds!!!!

If it breaks the rules to mention other retailers or non QVC products how do the presenters get away with their shameless self promotion of their books and businesses??

Interesting what the response will be!

Think we already know the answer as it still continues!!! A lot!!!

Latest posts

Back