Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This is one of the reasons I've stopped watching the TV shows..can't stand it!!..unprofessional!!
What I really don't understand is why companies paying big money for air time are not complaining about periods, grandkids, fairies, and sexual innuendo overtaking their presentation of goods!
And Q really should rethink their psychology selling approach!

The difference in presenting style between the UK and the Us just becomes more marked with time. On the US channel they just give the facts, sizes, shades etc. There’s a bit of friendly chat but generally the presenters give the facts (item no etc) and the experts provide the waffle & tips. It’s generally all very calm and professional, friendly but without telling you about their periods 😂😂 As folk have said, can you imagine going into M&S and the SA saying you can go to the website for sizes but by the way did you know my daughter is getting married?! Luckily we can whinge on FB and all our feedback will be ‘passed on’ 🙄

There's an old QVC saying, "if the punters keep buyin' we can stop tryin'" well it's not an old saying I made it up, but it should be, it's true. :mysmilie_3:

QVC UK is just a watered down version of QVC USA the parent company, with presenters from the media and entertainment industry, who, because of social media think they're something they're not and the shows they present is all about them first, and the products second.

There's an old QVC saying, "if the punters keep buyin' we can stop tryin'" well it's not an old saying I made it up, but it should be, it's true. :mysmilie_3:

QVC UK is just a watered down version of QVC USA the parent company, with presenters from the media and entertainment industry, who, because of social media think they're something they're not and the shows they present is all about them first, and the products second.

That's a real talent you have uncovered there, shopperholic! So, when exactly was it you worked at QVC?

Shopperholic, a career in advertising beckons. I looked up some of the slogans from companies the Q aspires to & found De Beers 'A Diamond is Forever', John Lewis 'Never Knowingly Undersold' & Tiffany's Brand Purpose (what?) 'Redifining love's Special Moments', this made me feel sick & wonder why love doesn't deserve a capital letter. Then we have yours 'if the punters keep buyin' we can stop tryin'. I love it, QVC summed up in all their glorious smugness.

Shopperholic, a career in advertising beckons. I looked up some of the slogans from companies the Q aspires to & found De Beers 'A Diamond is Forever', John Lewis 'Never Knowingly Undersold' & Tiffany's Brand Purpose (what?) 'Redifining love's Special Moments', this made me feel sick & wonder why love doesn't deserve a capital letter. Then we have yours 'if the punters keep buyin' we can stop tryin'. I love it, QVC summed up in all their glorious smugness.

Thanks Twilight. :mysmilie_17:

It is hard to take QVC seriously though while they're selling a £180 top while the model is standing on a scuffed dirty floor, of the models are sitting on ornate chairs selling £249 Perricomo skincare with a cushion under their bum, or selling high street goods like Morphy Richards and Baylis and Harding at almost twice the high street price, or presenters trying to flog two weeks of boredom in Devon, they're high end image just fails miserably.

Why thank you Andi. :mysmilie_3: I actually worked for QVC from erm...........to erm..........never. :mysmilie_17:

There's another QVC sales technique which the presenters are taught and put into practice on a regular basis:

While you're describing that overpriced unction,
Tell them about some bodily function;
Talk about babies, if you're a granny,
If not, act all girly and mention your f*nny;
Call things "amaaaazing", "bran new", "divine",
Act cute and struggle with 12 minus 9;
Bore them with tweets or mention your book,
Your cottage, your girlfriends and how you can't cook;
Then just as they think they can't take any more,
They'll call up and order at least three or four.

There's another QVC sales technique which the presenters are taught and put into practice on a regular basis:

Brilliant !

Andi that's sooooooo funny, and spot on. :mysmilie_19: :mysmilie_19:

Can I just ask folks re the amount of advertising that appears on the forum - I saw an advert yesterday for VIP Shopper status which apparently guarantees 85% less advertising. I'm a VIP shopper and right now this is what appears on every page I navigate to and that doesn't even take into account the banners running at the bottom of the page and the pop up window that usually appears over whichever thread I want to navigate to - what does the Happy Shopper level of advertising look like?????

VIP Shopper.jpg

Can I just ask folks re the amount of advertising that appears on the forum - I saw an advert yesterday for VIP Shopper status which apparently guarantees 85% less advertising. I'm a VIP shopper and right now this is what appears on every page I navigate to and that doesn't even take into account the banners running at the bottom of the page and the pop up window that usually appears over whichever thread I want to navigate to - what does the Happy Shopper level of advertising look like?????

View attachment 15519

Adverts are worse than a couple of weeks ago. They jump about all over the place and I keep getting re directed to weird sites. I don't come on as often now since the format changed, it has got very confusing.

View attachment 15519

Tarketta it might be worth getting in touch with Graham for some advice as I don't see many adverts anyway, but when I log in to the site as a VIP I now don't see any adverts at all. Whoopee ! My husband has put an AD blocker of some kind on the computer and saves a lot generally anyway but I'm not technical at all so can't help you.

Tarketta it might be worth getting in touch with Graham for some advice as I don't see many adverts anyway, but when I log in to the site as a VIP I now don't see any adverts at all. Whoopee ! My husband has put an AD blocker of some kind on the computer and saves a lot generally anyway but I'm not technical at all so can't help you.

Thanks Pandora, I'll do that as I think I must be getting Happy Shopper advert levels for some reason and that's on both my work PC and my home laptop, both of which have ad blocker software

View attachment 15519

I have just the same as you. In fact your screenshot of a typical page is very similar to mine. I was literally just consdering how on the iPad, I have two and a half screens of pure ads before I get to a forum post, and thinking how strange when in the past week I've been reading that we are meant to get 85% fewer ads, so was about to email Graeme. If VIPs get 85% fewer ads, what's it like for the poor non-VIPs?!

I have just the same as you. In fact your screenshot of a typical page is very similar to mine. I was literally just consdering how on the iPad, I have two and a half screens of pure ads before I get to a forum post, and thinking how strange when in the past week I've been reading that we are meant to get 85% fewer ads, so was about to email Graeme. If VIPs get 85% fewer ads, what's it like for the poor non-VIPs?!

AndiK, Graham replied almost immediately to my email - if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, there is a dropdown box which as a VIP Shopper, allows you to select a different colour option. Default is the standard one with all the advertising, but any one of the others allows you to access the VIP Shopper format and the advertising almost entirely disappears, hoorah!

FYI, I'm not a stooge, honest guv, but for any of you keen forumites who happen to be Happy Shoppers, it's well worth the VIP fee in my view!

I usually only access the forum on my computer, but yesterday was using my phone. I gave up in the end, the screen was jumping around, and one advert completely covered the screen and I could not get rid of it. I am a VIP shopper and get very few adverts on the computer. I should add though I do have an ad blocker too.

Latest posts

Back