Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You do get addicted though. At a time when I had gone through a lot, lived alone, didn't have much in my life except work, I ordered so much stuff. I think I just wanted to get things through the door, gifts to myself. I spent a fortune, many boxes unopened, unused and the contents sent to charity. Things are different now but I still spend far too much. You DO believe the presenters are your friend. It's company in the house if it's just you and well, it's only a few more pounds a month on easy pay. I hope that doesn't make me sound sad but I've been there and I know just how you can get sucked in. Never followed anyone's facebook or instagram and it wouldn't enter my head to contact them.

CC

I think many of us can understand the shopping aspect, especially the idea of gifts to ourselves. & there was a time when the presenters were just that & it was fun. The use of social media as a selling tool is one of the biggest changes & not one for the better. I'm so pleased that life is now different, & obviously happier, for you.

I’ve always said QVC was addictive because you don’t really feel like you’re parting with money, part of the addiction is the excitement of waiting for your parcel to arrive, I’ve said in the past would you buy the same product if it was right in front of you in a shop and you hand over your cash or card? the purchase is over in an instant, so no excitement there, it’s also a way to find out if you’re addicted to QVC if you ask yourself would you buy it right now in a shop?

I’ve always said QVC was addictive because you don’t really feel like you’re parting with money, part of the addiction is the excitement of waiting for your parcel to arrive, I’ve said in the past would you buy the same product if it was right in front of you in a shop and you hand over your cash or card? the purchase is over in an instant, so no excitement there, it’s also a way to find out if you’re addicted to QVC if you ask yourself would you buy it right now in a shop?

Spot on Shopps & I can remember 'the excitement of waiting for your parcel' being used by their sales staff many years ago as an enticement to buy. They may still say it but as my shopping on the Q is now confined to looking at brands I like on their clunky website I haven't listened to any of them talk in ages; finding clips of their daftness, sneakiness & downright rudeness, after reading about their shenanigans on here doesn't count!

Spot on Shopps & I can remember 'the excitement of waiting for your parcel' being used by their sales staff many years ago as an enticement to buy. They may still say it but as my shopping on the Q is now confined to looking at brands I like on their clunky website I haven't listened to any of them talk in ages; finding clips of their daftness, sneakiness & downright rudeness, after reading about their shenanigans on here doesn't count!

That’s true T, desperate times call for desperate measures should be QVCs new slogan, makes more sense than “find what you love, love what you find” which makes no sense. :mysmilie_17:

One last comment about my neighbour, she is an 'Insta' friend with the man who was the Yankee Candle guest. He's having a really bad time apparently & is spending his days doing lots of jigsaws & selling his private stock of candles on eBay, she sends him as much support as she can.

I remember must be 10 years back suddenly QVC was our family, yes join the QVC family was being pushed. Er, no I would be avoiding you if you were related to me.:wonder:

I do remember the early days of my shopping with them buying like a mad woman sitting up to midnight even if I had to be up for work at 5 am. Not sure if it was really because it was harder to get the high-end brands here in Northern Ireland back then or not? I had no cheque book and tried to order Aveda direct from them sending a postal order. It was returned to me saying they did not ship to Northern Ireland! Then suddenly QVC was available to me and they did Aveda and took postal orders no problem. Back then QVC would not take my debit card so it was postal orders and no easy pay for me. I remember people on here used to order and then wait for the reviews before sending in cheques reserving the TSV. QVC wised up to that one and stopped taking postal orders and then cheques.

Timed passed and QVC became all hard sell and Ipads came out. Who remembers the T callers who used to phone in during shows and asked for signed photos of the presenters? The glazed look in the presenter's eyes when the "I have written to you do you remember me?" Nodding head yes of course when you knew they did not. Back then so many really did believe the presenters were their friends.

One last comment about my neighbour, she is an 'Insta' friend with the man who was the Yankee Candle guest. He's having a really bad time apparently & is spending his days doing lots of jigsaws & selling his private stock of candles on eBay, she sends him as much support as she can.

Really? That's awful as I don't think any of what went on was his fault. Wasn't it the husband that caused it all? I wish him well and you can go onwards and upwards even after appearing to lose it all.

CC

The person who copied it from a private Facebook group passed it to Stephen who then shared it with the husband who went very nasty. He had done this before it seems, the comments about swishing his hair not exactly worth even getting excited about. Stephen should have told the husband to keep out of it and just said sorry to the women for the abuse they received.
Seems he has now split from the husband. Stephen has experience in retail he should be able to get some sort of work. Selling the collection of Yankee on eBay won't keep him unless he runs it like a business and has hundreds of candles.

Really? That's awful as I don't think any of what went on was his fault. Wasn't it the husband that caused it all? I wish him well and you can go onwards and upwards even after appearing to lose it all.

CC

Yes it was his husbands fault, but also his own fault too. He never spoke up to distance himself from what abuse his potty mouthed husband was throwing around which technically translates to SC condoning what was said, well he must condone it if he doesn’t say otherwise. He picked his husband and his abuse over his job, so unfortunately that’s a choice he has to live with.

We posted at the same time Donna, I can’t say I’m surprised they’ve split. I agree with your comments :mysmilie_3:

poor Stephen I dont think he should have lost his job because his partner does not have the ability to keep his mouth shut. social media is alive with trolls always has been. sad folk whose life is that dull they come on their computer bullying people that in real life they would not do...

poor Stephen I dont think he should have lost his job because his partner does not have the ability to keep his mouth shut. social media is alive with trolls always has been. sad folk whose life is that dull they come on their computer bullying people that in real life they would not do...

Yankee Candle are the same as any other company, guilty by association and SC was guilty by association made worse by the fact he didn’t apologise. If my husband spoke to anyone the way his husband did (not that my husband would ever dream of it) I’d be mortified and would apologise on his behalf profusely, SC didn’t which was another way of saying he agreed with his husband, I suppose that’s why he had to go.

Thing is though, didn’t SC say it was his decision to leave? I’m sure I read somewhere he did, he was probably just saving face but that’s what he was supposed to have said.

Must be hard for him but he should have apologised at the time, however, maybe he was under pressure from (ex) husband. You know, it's me or them kind of thing and you don't want to throw a relationship away by rocking the boat (seems it sunk in the end though). If Stephen is struggling then I hope he gets any help needed to get up and at 'em. You can't spend your life doing jigsaws.

CC

Yankee Candle are the same as any other company, guilty by association and SC was guilty by association made worse by the fact he didn’t apologise. If my husband spoke to anyone the way his husband did (not that my husband would ever dream of it) I’d be mortified and would apologise on his behalf profusely, SC didn’t which was another way of saying he agreed with his husband, I suppose that’s why he had to go.

Thing is though, didn’t SC say it was his decision to leave? I’m sure I read somewhere he did, he was probably just saving face but that’s what he was supposed to have said.

Yes I read that too

It does rather seem like poor Steven's erstwhile 'bestie' (aka Chuntley) is now conspicuous by her absence on his Twitter feed, whereas she was all over it like a rash when he was presenting...

I used to look at his Instagram occasionally but he has now made that private, and I do check his Twitter to see how he is doing. It seems to me things have really gone downhill for him since the loss of the shop and the split from the husband (although he seemed pretty grim to me after Candlegate). But certainly SC does seem to be in a depression, selling his candles, doing jigsaws and having trouble sleeping. He has just bought a new car though I think so not all terrible. Mind you, perhaps the ex kept the car..... Still I reckon he needs to get a new job because how else will he keep going? Oh yes, I think he is having to sell the flat they owned too. Oh dear, quite a lot of major stressors going on there! Poor chap, I really liked him. Please don't think I am an online stalker!! I like to read his stuff in case we hear he is coming back. He does forever bang on about QVC still, always liking TSvs etc.... but I think it is in vain.

I think he does still see his sister from another mister! She goes and stays on occasion. Lucky him, no wonder he's cast down!!

:mysmilie_59:

Yankee is a US company selling smelly candle dreams they do not want any sort of scandal or the hint of anything nasty. I will say Stephen was given the option of leaving before being pushed out.

His shop was broken into a few times in a short period of time and thousands of pounds worth of stock taken. The insurance must have gone sky high then Yankee opened their own store a short distance from his. That must have been a real kick in the teeth.

Maybe not on Twitter but they say plenty about each other on Insta

I heard her mentioning him on air many times, the last time over the weekend when he twatted in saying how luvvvely she was looking. If she had anything to do with it he would be a permanent fixture.

Didn’t the ex work for JLP and wasn’t there talk of complaining to them regarding his behaviour?

Latest posts

Back