Jade Troth is back

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If everything is 'selling out' on the night, and then it's available again the very next day, it means people are cancelling their orders before the midnight 'cut off'.

If people are cancelling their orders, then it must mean only one thing - the prices are higher than people expected to pay.

Take note Gemporia!
Some of this must be down to the methods used to display the quantity available. Probably three ways this figure fluctuates?

1. Phone: If you telephone Gemporia and select the option to indicate that you're calling about the item on screen, I assume that this deducts 1 from that total as a reservation (or "allocation" I've heard used by presenters).

2. Online: No idea if adding to a basket online does the same?

3. Cancellation: abandoned 'phone calls, baskets not checked out, payment collections denied

Either way, you're right. A "total sellout" one minute, with a hefty quantity available again a short time after or the next time the item is auctioned indicates a lot are in the third category.

Some of this must be down to the methods used to display the quantity available. Probably three ways this figure fluctuates?

1. Phone: If you telephone Gemporia and select the option to indicate that you're calling about the item on screen, I assume that this deducts 1 from that total as a reservation (or "allocation" I've heard used by presenters).

3. Cancellation: abandoned 'phone calls, baskets not checked out, payment collections denied

Either way, you're right. A "total sellout" one minute, with a hefty quantity available again a short time after or the next time the item is auctioned indicates a lot are in the third category.
I have put pre-orders in my basket to try and get an idea of what they're going to be charging and then removed them so effectively putting them back on the shelf so to speak. However I have still heard them read my name out as having bought before the item has come to air.

I have put pre-orders in my basket to try and get an idea of what they're going to be charging and then removed them so effectively putting them back on the shelf so to speak. However I have still heard them read my name out as having bought before the item has come to air.
I do that too and have seen my name several times on the list of 'buyers' despite me removing it from my basket

I remember years ago that Gemporia stated that if someone phones up, regardless of what the call is about, their system will 'deduct' an item from on-screen quantities because their system cannot tell in advance what the call will be about - so yes, that makes total sense.

I know that the same applies if someone adds an item to their web basket without checking out too because Alex had their Web designers add a 'time out' function to their website a few years ago because as he was waffling before reducing a price, people would add the item in their basket to 'reserve' an item - which blocked others from buying it because it 'greyed it out' as sold. He had a five minute timer put in place so that if people hadn't committed to buying, it automatically released it back into stock.

The failed payment thing wouldn't affect immediate stock showings though because they take payment after midnight. They don't take it at the point of checking out.

I know that the same applies if someone adds an item to their web basket without checking out too because Alex had their Web designers add a 'time out' function to their website a few years ago...
Ah! So that explains the "Your reservation has expired" shenanigans. Gotcha!

Ah! So that explains the "Your reservation has expired" shenanigans. Gotcha!
Yeah it's a pain when the presenters waffle for ages before getting to the price.

Perhaps if they cut to the chase and just dropped the price, they wouldn't have had to put that timer in place.

And then there's the utter misinformation/confusion online about "sardonyx" 😀
View attachment 28306
I thought of that when the topic of onyx et al was mentioned. As in, where does it stand in the group?

Yeah it's a pain when the presenters waffle for ages before getting to the price.

Perhaps if they cut to the chase and just dropped the price, they wouldn't have had to put that timer in place.
Yesterday. I wasn't going to buy it, but I wanted to see the price of the amber tree. But by god, was I bored: 10 or more minutes of waffle before even the first price drop. I got bored waiting. 200 years of waffle for one item is rather annoying :p Always has been, even when I used to frequent the channel more so.

Yesterday. I wasn't going to buy it, but I wanted to see the price of the amber tree. But by god, was I bored: 10 or more minutes of waffle before even the first price drop. I got bored waiting. 200 years of waffle for one item is rather annoying :p Always has been, even when I used to frequent the channel more so.
Same, I wanted to know the price of the Amber tree but my impatience took over. I love how they put a few trees together as one on its own must look a bit poundland.

Same, I wanted to know the price of the Amber tree but my impatience took over. I love how they put a few trees together as one on its own must look a bit poundland.
And the way she said it was 5 inches tall. When told otherwise by those behind the scenes, she said you could 'make' it bigger. Pointless comment :p

I still don't know how much it was, do you?
Last I saw, it was £49.99. BUT, she did say you could buy two or more. So, I would assume it was for another drop. I mean, I know Gems cover a multitude of customers price range wise, but why would anyone buy 2 or more items of 3 inches tall, give or take, for £100+. Not me. It wasn't even gold wire :p Gold coloured. IF you were of that wavelength, you could make one for the fraction of the price ;)

Last I saw, it was £49.99. BUT, she did say you could buy two or more. So, I would assume it was for another drop. I mean, I know Gems cover a multitude of customers price range wise, but why would anyone buy 2 or more items of 3 inches tall, give or take, for £100+. Not me. It wasn't even gold wire :p Gold coloured. IF you were of that wavelength, you could make one for the fraction of the price ;)
3 inches?? Good breeze would blow it over. Think I'll manage without lol

3 inches?? Good breeze would blow it over. Think I'll manage without lol
She initially said it was 5, then 4, then 3, so if you said 3.5 and it fit in the palm of her hand, and NOT being rude, 'most' women's hands are smaller, so that's more of an idea of size, yes? ;)

I do that: kinda. I put it in the basket as a pre-order to see it's 'original' price and gauge from that how big a drop it may be. I've also been called as a purchaser when I've "put it back".

So, here's a DT thought. His David Harry Jewels. Heard him say it was his fledgling jewellery house. Maybe it's doing so well 'on its own' he's had to flood the channel with his beloved jade and shells to make money, coz he can't do it on his own merit. And, attached to that thought. Again, maybe said somewhere else, but it puts me in mind of Gemporia being a TV Debenhams: aka (yes, stating the obvious) a department store where individual businesses have 'stalls'.

Heard him say it was his fledgling jewellery house.

A Peckham garage is more likely.

1.jpg

Latest posts

Back