QVC no quibble money back guarantee as long as you don't return over 50%

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

To be honest I think that QVC feel it is obvious that you are wasting so much of their products that no one would send more than half of the products purchased back. Good will is not inexaustable. If you had a shop and you offered this facility you would be annoyed that people had took advantage of this. Maybe qvc should say in the fine print you have a 50% allowance but please think before purchasing.
Incase anyone thinks Im a hypocrit I have only ever returned a few items and yes I agree qvc should be more honest about exactly what they are selling.

Playing Devil's Avocado and a Journalist's View:

Check and verify your sources.

If you can't get verification in the form of proof regarding the 50% limit/ratio either from the OP (with apologies to said OP) OR, more importantly, QVC... DON'T POST THIS.

Graham, your own personal dislike of QVC is showing. I know you dislike them but you've based this Sticky on unproven hearsay (again, apologies to OP - I'm sure you're telling the truth but there is no hard evidence), and are jumping on your own personal bandwagon as appears to be your right, given that you own the site.

The fact that you've not been able to confirm the 50% issue (why don't you just call them and try to speak to "someone in charge") does not make it OK to post.

I expect vilification, but there you are. Maybe you could even ban me from the Forum? Opinions of all types should be tolerated, though.

I don't work for QVC nor do I carry any sort of torch for them but have seen your previous behaviour - posting private emails between you and Rob Locke, for example and also those from the chap in charge of Ideal World on public Forums - this one, I think. You were lucky not to have legal action taken against you - and no, that wasn't OK either.

Are you suggesting that I did not hear, with my own ears, the QVC representative who telephoned me yesterday tell me that my returns were at 57% which is above the QVC return rate of 50%??????? Is that not enough 'hard evidence' for you? Or are you suggesting I am lying???

Why on earth would I post something on here which wasn't true???

I am very insulted by your insinuation that I am not telling the truth. What the hell would I have to gain by lying about this???!!!!

The 'proof' is what the QVC rep told me. It was an official phone call to discuss my return rate, not just a general customer service call. I'm sure other people who have had the letter from QVC can verify this but when my follow up letter from the phone call arrives I'll be sure to forward a copy to Graham (and you to should you so desire).

Also, perhaps Graham felt he should make this topic a sticky so that other forum members were made aware of the issue.

To be honest I think that QVC feel it is obvious that you are wasting so much of their products that no one would send more than half of the products purchased back. Good will is not inexaustable. If you had a shop and you offered this facility you would be annoyed that people had took advantage of this. Maybe qvc should say in the fine print you have a 50% allowance but please think before purchasing.
Incase anyone thinks Im a hypocrit I have only ever returned a few items and yes I agree qvc should be more honest about exactly what they are selling.

I can assure you I don't order then return an excessive number of items, nor do I send back half used items!

I order things occasionally and if I am not happy with them I return them in exactly the same condition I receive them in, usually the next day. This is no different to catalogues and Next etc.

I have not ordered any skin care or make up from QVC for years as the 1 or 2 things I did buy reacted badly with my skin. I would expect any decent company to offer a full refund in such circumstances (Avon do).

Yes there are some people who will take the pi:cash::cash: out of the return policy but I am not one of them and for QVC to treat me as such is extremely insulting, which is the point I am making.

Companies always have a get out clause. Its in the Term and Conditions which are in very small print, written by an ant with a quill pen. No one has time to wade through T&Cs, be it credit card,loans,buy now pay later deals,store cards, Sky and VirginMedia.

People just sign on the dotted line and merrily go on their way. Then something changes and people are unhappy and demand can I get out of this. But the company has its self cover in all that small print.

Why not contact the CEO of QVC directly and ask for an answer. I know from reading the community board on QVC US, people there just go straight to the top. It is their right.

No, run-forest-run

I didn't imply that you'd lied at all - in fact I mentioned this twice in my post and I'd hoped I'd made that clear. Obviously not clear enough. I'm not trolling or making trouble here and to be fair, getting "the phone call" must be perplexing and a bit, well, horrible.

I didn't say that you were lying.

I just wanted to know whether this was "official" QVC policy based on hard, published facts. That's all. Stop insulting me. I'm on your side.

No, run-forest-run

I didn't imply that you'd lied at all - in fact I mentioned this twice in my post and I'd hoped I'd made that clear. Obviously not clear enough. I'm not trolling or making trouble here and to be fair, getting "the phone call" must be perplexing and a bit, well, horrible.

I didn't say that you were lying.

I just wanted to know whether this was "official" QVC policy based on hard, published facts. That's all. Stop insulting me. I'm on your side.

I haven't insulted you!:flower:

As the call was an official one regarding returns and then fact that the rep stated that my 57% return rate was over their 50% return rate he wondered what they could do to help me reduce that figure. However, he gave me no details as to how long the rate was determined over nor whether faulty items count towards this rate which is basically what most people want to know.

As someone else pointed out if you were a new member and ordered 3 items and returned 2 of them that would put you over the 50% rate so when does it kick in to prompt a call or letter.

Like others I have returned faulty items (the George Foreman oven anyone - 2 of those) and these items are always logged on your account as 'returned' not faulty. We don't even know if these items form part of the 50% or not.

If QVC are not distinguishing between items that are faulty and those that are returned for other reasons then that is totally pathetic of them :angry: Aside from giving customers unduly high return figures, they should be finding out which of their suppliers are sending out sub-standard products and doing something about it.

Good luck to those of you trying to resolve this whole issue.

just called them

Had a long chat...! With one of the Supervisors at QVC . Yes, I know I should get out more and generally get a bit of a life but there you are.

Firstly, I should say that I work as a Sales Director within Customer Services (my other half is a journalist, hence the previous post) so I questioned this person closely. I know what this issue is and can talk their language. No, this isn't patronising to anyone on this Forum so don't flame me.

Again, I'm no advocate of QVC, not working for them etc.

Apparently...a return rate of between 70-80% (percentage quoted from a manager. bear in mind) prompts a customer service call and/or letter more along the lines of quality control rather than anything else, ie was the product mis-sold (maybe), how did it not meet your expectations (again, maybe but how), what can they do to improve their service (well, good question!)

Also...there IS a distinction made between returning things because you changed your mind (which I do) and when they are faulty (which I did also) so the percentages do count, if you see what I mean.

Maybe they should have better PR??!!

No insults please, nor anyone saying I'm accusing them of lying. We're all adults here - just quoting what I've been told.

Sadly it seems, the supervisor's view of what happens on a call/letter varies from reality, at least for me. As I have said elsewhere, I am a veteran of 3 letters and 2 phone calls. My return rate varied between 55-65%. On the first call they asked why I returned so much - was it faulty, mis sold, impulse buying etc. I said impulse and they asked how they could help, they then suggested I put things on cheque hold and later decided if I wanted them or not. The second time they did not ask, but told me precisely how many returns I had made over a 2 year period and how much I had paid in postage to return these items. They told me my account would be under review and if my rate of returns did not improve cancellation of the account was a possibility. The last call was similar to the second, but this time I went through with them a number of reasons for return - I did the cheque hold thing and do not buy on impulse, my returns were for good reasons - faulty, didn't fit, ingredients etc. I also mentioned the number of times I returned a faulty item, did not get p+p refunded or asked for a replacement, but never received one. The lady replied that the warehouse doesn't look at the returns slips.
I'm not proud of the number of returns, and they have cost me way too much in p+p. I don't shop with them much now, so maybe I've learned my lesson.

If you had a shop and you offered this facility you would be annoyed that people had took advantage of this.

Then don't offer the facility! This is exactly the same as a shop getting customers through the door by offering a substantial discount, but hoping that people won't take them up on it.

QVC's MBG is a major customer lure. QVC seem to want to retain the lure but dissuade people from using it. This is unfair commerce.

Tiger's Eye, you are absolutely right that getting The Call is unpleasant. It comes out of the blue and there is an obvious insinuation that you have been a bad and naughty person - which you haven't. The call I received was couched as 'Tell us what we could do better', but if they really wanted not to upset me, I'm sure they could have found lots of ways to soften the approach. It was intended to be a shot across the bows, and for many of QVC's standard customers - going by the T-Callers - this call would have disintegrated them into mush. It's bullying, plain and simple.

Playing Devil's Avocado and a Journalist's View:

Check and verify your sources.

If you can't get verification in the form of proof regarding the 50% limit/ratio either from the OP (with apologies to said OP) OR, more importantly, QVC... DON'T POST THIS.

Graham, your own personal dislike of QVC is showing. I know you dislike them but you've based this Sticky on unproven hearsay (again, apologies to OP - I'm sure you're telling the truth but there is no hard evidence), and are jumping on your own personal bandwagon as appears to be your right, given that you own the site.

The fact that you've not been able to confirm the 50% issue (why don't you just call them and try to speak to "someone in charge") does not make it OK to post.

I expect vilification, but there you are. Maybe you could even ban me from the Forum? Opinions of all types should be tolerated, though.

I don't work for QVC nor do I carry any sort of torch for them but have seen your previous behaviour - posting private emails between you and Rob Locke, for example and also those from the chap in charge of Ideal World on public Forums - this one, I think. You were lucky not to have legal action taken against you - and no, that wasn't OK either.

First of all I do not have a personal dislike of QVC, I do side on the customer and that is not just with QVC but every single shopping channel, including can I say channels that advertise.

This is no personal badwagon as you put it, just publishing facts!

I personally think you are just jumping on a bandwagon to attack me, the way you have brought up stuff from years gone past. No emails on this site have ever been published that have been marked "Private and Confidential - Not for Publication".

You expect "vilification" and maybe a ban, I have NEVER banned anyone from this forum for having an opinon, EVER.

Had a long chat...! With one of the Supervisors at QVC . Yes, I know I should get out more and generally get a bit of a life but there you are.

Firstly, I should say that I work as a Sales Director within Customer Services (my other half is a journalist, hence the previous post) so I questioned this person closely. I know what this issue is and can talk their language. No, this isn't patronising to anyone on this Forum so don't flame me.

Again, I'm no advocate of QVC, not working for them etc.

Apparently...a return rate of between 70-80% (percentage quoted from a manager. bear in mind) prompts a customer service call and/or letter more along the lines of quality control rather than anything else, ie was the product mis-sold (maybe), how did it not meet your expectations (again, maybe but how), what can they do to improve their service (well, good question!)

Also...there IS a distinction made between returning things because you changed your mind (which I do) and when they are faulty (which I did also) so the percentages do count, if you see what I mean.

Maybe they should have better PR??!!

:fart2:

Well since QVC CS appear to speak to you as an equal, rather than a lowly customer perhaps you could ask them over what time period the % is calculated?

And is it 70 -80% of by number of orders or 70- 80% in £ value.

How is the distinction made between items returned because they are faulty and those which are just not suitable? Who decides which is which? On our Online acounts they both show up as "Returned" and unless we chase it up we will usually not be reimbursed for outgoing postage for faulty items so exactly how do QVC make the distinction?

Regarding your check your sources advice, I think when x amount of people are singing from the same hymn sheet regarding their experience it's going to take more than one "sales director married to a journalist" who has Dr Doolittle-esque powers with customer service peeps telling us we've all got it wrong to put this jack back in the box.

When they call me during sunday lunch I promise to ask them to call back in 15 minutes and then record the call prior to uploading it on YouTube.

First of all I do not have a personal dislike of QVC, I do side on the customer and that is not just with QVC but every single shopping channel, including can I say channels that advertise.

This is no personal badwagon as you put it, just publishing facts!

I personally think you are just jumping on a bandwagon to attack me, the way you have brought up stuff from years gone past. No emails on this site have ever been published that have been marked "Private and Confidential - Not for Publication".

You expect "vilification" and maybe a ban, I have NEVER banned anyone of this forum for having an opinon, EVER.

Just my opinion, Graham, just my opinion.

Get some hard facts from QVC (an "official" policy from a Customer Service Director or Public Relations department) and THEN post. And then we can rant.

BTW, of course no email you would ever receive would be marked "private and confidential - not for publication", unless it was something legal in which case it would be marked "without prejudice". Perhaps these poor sods just assumed that you would respect their privacy.

:fart2:

Well since QVC CS appear to speak to you as an equal, rather than a lowly customer perhaps you could ask them over what time period the % is calculated?

And is it 70 -80% of by number of orders or 70- 80% in £ value.

How is the distinction made between items returned because they are faulty and those which are just not suitable? Who decides which is which? On our Online acounts they both show up as "Returned" and unless we chase it up we will usually not be reimbursed for outgoing postage for faulty items so exactly how do QVC make the distinction?

Regarding your check your sources advice, I think when x amount of people are singing from the same hymn sheet regarding their experience it's going to take more than one "sales director married to a journalist" who has Dr Doolittle-esque powers with customer service peeps telling us we've all got it wrong to put this jack back in the box.

When they call me during sunday lunch I promise to ask them to call back in 15 minutes and then record the call prior to uploading it on YouTube.

I think I'm both an equal and a customer at the same time, as we all are, but the % returns are apparently over a year and is by number of orders.

When you ring up CS and complain about a faulty item it's registered on your account, as, err, faulty.

Err...the Dr. Dolittle paragraph referring to me as "married to a journalist". Don't make remarks like this please they're irrelevant and patronising. I'm just giving an alternative view and asking for hard facts. Then we all know where we are. We all want good service.

Last edited:
Firstly, I would like to STATE that Graham has absolutely no worry about ANYTHING going LEGAL regardng QVC. **I KNOW**.........

Secondly, I myself have spoken to a **SUPERVISOR**.... a **MANAGER** and several CS Operator's (who you usually get more truth and more sense from). I have never been given the same answer to ANY question I have asked them in relation to Returns Policy, Programming, Customers being told Certain Items are **EXCLUSIVE** only to QVC when they are readily available to be Purchased from HIGH STREET STORES............

Oh, nearly forgot, DON'T get me started on their P&P Charges and Policy..... I posted on another Thread about that yesterday.

Firstly, I would like to STATE that Graham has absolutely no worry about ANYTHING going LEGAL regardng QVC. **I KNOW**.........

Secondly, I myself have spoken to a **SUPERVISOR**.... a **MANAGER** and several CS Operator's (who you usually get more truth and more sense from). I have never been given the same answer to ANY question I have asked them in relation to Returns Policy, Programming, Customers being told Certain Items are **EXCLUSIVE** only to QVC when they are readily available to be Purchased from HIGH STREET STORES............

Oh, nearly forgot, DON'T get me started on their P&P Charges and Policy..... I posted on another Thread about that yesterday.

My response was nothing to do with matters legal - rather to do with posting private emails without permission.

A lack of consistent response is down to training, I guess.

It's obvious that being able to return goods because they're faulty is a legal requirement. Being able to return goods because you've changed your mind is not a legal requirement, but the vast majority of retailers offer this service, including online sellers. In fact, retailers like La Redoute and East allow you to return things free, via their own courier. So QVC would be offering a much inferior service unless they allowed you to change your mind (and you're spending much more on p&p with QVC should you do that).

The distinction, it seems to me, is where goods are returned used and unresellable, but not faulty. I don't see why QVC don't offer a proportional refund for goods which have been well 'sampled'. It would give us a chance to try out a skincare line for a week, and send it back for a 75% refund if it makes us break out in spots.

But I suppose a '30 day {some) money back guarantee' wouldn't sound the same!

My response was nothing to do with matters legal - rather to do with posting private emails without permission.

A lack of consistent response is down to training, I guess.

I have never said I am a trained Journalist, if I was I would publish lies!!!

Just my opinion, Graham, just my opinion.

Get some hard facts from QVC (an "official" policy from a Customer Service Director or Public Relations department) and THEN post. And then we can rant.

BTW, of course no email you would ever receive would be marked "private and confidential - not for publication", unless it was something legal in which case it would be marked "without prejudice". Perhaps these poor sods just assumed that you would respect their privacy.

I do get many emails that are marked like this and I ALWAYS respect off the record emails and calls.

No, Graham, you never said that. You're the Site Owner. How could I possibly have missed that?

Journalists have to check their sources.

Latest posts

Back