Julia Robert's racist comment

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

susygrace

Registered Shopper
If any other presenter on any other channel made a racist comment such as the remark Julia Roberts made about the Irish they would be sacked. Why is she allowed to get away with this. Why is QVC allowed to get away with this.

I liked Julia and enjoyed her shows but will now boycott any shows she is on.

I have Irish friends who found this very insulting.

I will be writing direct to QVC with this complaint.

I am Irish, fighting Irish all the way. I think what she said was very very rude and unprofessional and also revealing about her character but I couldn't say it was racist or more than a tedious low grade insult. Perhaps JR isn't bright enough to get a really good one in.

The Spanish fans treatment of Lewis Hamilton years ago was downright racist and insulting.

very well said vampyre !! I'm Irish too , comments like that are tedious.xx

What did she say!

There are enough Irish people on here that I am wondering could we get an on-air apology!!!! Or we could bombard her blog!!!

Slagging off the Irish...I am glad I did not hear it!:angry::angry::angry:

thanks for the great comment Vampyre.

I just think that if this was said of any race it would be racist.

A proper on air apology is needed and I will be putting my complaint to customer care first thing.

What a nasty woman JR is.

What did she say!

There are enough Irish people on here that I am wondering could we get an on-air apology!!!! Or we could bombard her blog!!!

Slagging off the Irish...I am glad I did not hear it!:angry::angry::angry:

well yeah but what did she say??

I don't for one minute think Julia was being racist, just an attempt at a smart alec joke that fell flat, or in other words she spoke before putting her brain in gear. Us Irish have got your numba.........Julia :giggle::giggle:

I'm from the deepest Southwest of England and we're all supposed to be country bumpkins or village idiots who sit in the fields all day chewing grass.
I'd never get offended about comments made to that effect to me, it's quite funny. I know different and it's their problem not mine.
It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, they're nothing to me or I to them.Don't get your knickers in a twist about it, it's honestly not worth wasting any thought on:talking::heart:

I'm from the deepest Southwest of England and we're all supposed to be country bumpkins or village idiots who sit in the fields all day chewing grass.
I'd never get offended about comments made to that effect to me, it's quite funny. I know different and it's their problem not mine.
It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, they're nothing to me or I to them.Don't get your knickers in a twist about it, it's honestly not worth wasting any thought on:talking::heart:

I am bored of stereotypes particularly in retail. The ad for some product, perhaps weetabix with the woman and bloke running toward each other bleating Oooooh! Aaaaaar! The dolmio ads with those dreadful puppets ad the silly overblown accent.

As you said Rozzy it is their problem and ignorance be its name:grin:

I didn't hear JR make this comment as I very rarely watch her but I wouldn't think she was being racist, more like letting her gob run away with itself, like Kathy has already said. The thing with JR is that she thinks she's funny and entertaining but it's usually at someone else's expense, but I'm sure she'd be really waspish if someone took the pi$$ out of her on air. Madam is far too big for her boots now and I really hope someone does answer back to bring her down a peg or two. However, like Rozzy I don't take offence when I'm stereotyped and called a Cockney (I'm not btw but I do talk very 'London' :wink:) and in this far too pc world I think people need to lighten up and save their outrage for more serious issues.

Last edited:
Language reflects historic prejudices but can also reinforce them. Some phrases have largely passed out of use – such as the idea of ‘scotching’ someone’s plans or ‘welshing’ on a deal which can be seen to have unpleasant overtones linking to ideas about the nature of certain national groups. I’m a Northerner and am used to ‘clogs on cobbles’ and ‘down t’pit’ banter when outside of me home territory and it doesn’t generally antagonise me unless it’s coming from someone who’s clearly privileged or is implying (even in jest) that because of my regional heritage I must be lacking in brains or uncouth (neither of which is true, I’ve got a Ph.D. and I can hold me knife and fork proper.) The point is it’s about power and stereotypes. And real life: research shows that people with regional accents are less likely to be successful in job interviews and are generally paid less and taken less seriously for promotion, and whilst this may seem inconsequential to some, in my view it does matter if we are a society which is at least aiming for equality.

But I feel frustrated when this whole issue seems to get polarised – either we have to laugh it off, claim it means nothing etc or else we are seen as getting uptight and argumentative about it. I think there’s somewhere in the middle, and it’s the middle ground I’d choose to occupy – I’m not ranting about it but I do wish we would move start to away from language and ‘humour’ which derives from and can serve to reinforce prejudice. Whether a negative comment about the Irish should be categorised as ‘racist’, ‘regionalist’, ‘sectarian’ etc is to me irrelevant – it’s just not right as it derives from an unpleasant idea based on an historic imbalance of power between Britain and Ireland. It’s just not acceptable in this day and age to make jokes about the Irish which imply that they are stupid, just as it’s not acceptable to suggest that muslims are terrorists or gay people are sexually promiscuous (it’s making me uncomfortable writing this, I’m just doing so to provide examples.) And it’s certainly not acceptable to do it on national telly! Comments like this result in sackings on the Beeb and I’m sure the ASA would take a very dim view – QVC must know this.

We all say things that might offend or be inappropriate without thinking. For instance, my mum works in education with ‘wheelchair users’. Despite liking to think I’m a switched on modern liberal leftie (!) I keep forgetting that that’s the new language and keep getting corrected by mum when I describe someone as ‘in a wheelchair’ (cos it takes attention away from the human being who should be seen as someone who uses a tool rather than someone fixed into a disability. It’s the same with describing people with mental health issues or cancer as ‘sufferers’ rather than patients.) I haven’t encountered anyone who gets ratty with other individuals about things like this, it’s just about moving forward the process of society becoming more tolerant/respectful. I don’t expect everyone going about their busy, often hard lives to be putting masses of thought into this hour by hour, we’ve all got other things going on, and very few people mean harm when they say things like this, it’s just the culture around them that they’ve been immersed in (like me with the wheelchair comments – I get frustrated with myself but repeatedly do it without thinking!) I actually think when people are criticised for saying things like this they feel quite embarrassed as they know they meant no harm and their shame leads them to become dismissive about it in order to protect themselves, if you get what I mean. But I don’t think most people who want to see language changed or just thought about critically should be seen as a mad PC-brigade or ludicrously uptight and have their concerns dismissed. I think it’s simply about respect.

I’m loathe to post this in a sense as I come onto STF for a laugh and to get away from the trials and tribulations of life, but thought it was worth saying.

Many of us didn't hear this - and it seems no-one is able to enlighten us - but I would imagine that Julia would be horrified if she thought she had caused anyone any offence. Cultural stereotyping (if that is the type of thing it was) is very common, probably much too common. In an ideal world there would be no such thing, not any sexism, ageism, size-ism or any other ism. However these things prevail - but usually they are unintentional with the guilty party largely unaware of their misdemeanor.

Language reflects historic prejudices but can also reinforce them. Some phrases have largely passed out of use – such as the idea of ‘scotching’ someone’s plans or ‘welshing’ on a deal which can be seen to have unpleasant overtones linking to ideas about the nature of certain national groups. I’m a Northerner and am used to ‘clogs on cobbles’ and ‘down t’pit’ banter when outside of me home territory and it doesn’t generally antagonise me unless it’s coming from someone who’s clearly privileged or is implying (even in jest) that because of my regional heritage I must be lacking in brains or uncouth (neither of which is true, I’ve got a Ph.D. and I can hold me knife and fork proper.) The point is it’s about power and stereotypes. And real life: research shows that people with regional accents are less likely to be successful in job interviews and are generally paid less and taken less seriously for promotion, and whilst this may seem inconsequential to some, in my view it does matter if we are a society which is at least aiming for equality.

But I feel frustrated when this whole issue seems to get polarised – either we have to laugh it off, claim it means nothing etc or else we are seen as getting uptight and argumentative about it. I think there’s somewhere in the middle, and it’s the middle ground I’d choose to occupy – I’m not ranting about it but I do wish we would move start to away from language and ‘humour’ which derives from and can serve to reinforce prejudice. Whether a negative comment about the Irish should be categorised as ‘racist’, ‘regionalist’, ‘sectarian’ etc is to me irrelevant – it’s just not right as it derives from an unpleasant idea based on an historic imbalance of power between Britain and Ireland. It’s just not acceptable in this day and age to make jokes about the Irish which imply that they are stupid, just as it’s not acceptable to suggest that muslims are terrorists or gay people are sexually promiscuous (it’s making me uncomfortable writing this, I’m just doing so to provide examples.) And it’s certainly not acceptable to do it on national telly! Comments like this result in sackings on the Beeb and I’m sure the ASA would take a very dim view – QVC must know this.

We all say things that might offend or be inappropriate without thinking. For instance, my mum works in education with ‘wheelchair users’. Despite liking to think I’m a switched on modern liberal leftie (!) I keep forgetting that that’s the new language and keep getting corrected by mum when I describe someone as ‘in a wheelchair’ (cos it takes attention away from the human being who should be seen as someone who uses a tool rather than someone fixed into a disability. It’s the same with describing people with mental health issues or cancer as ‘sufferers’ rather than patients.) I haven’t encountered anyone who gets ratty with other individuals about things like this, it’s just about moving forward the process of society becoming more tolerant/respectful. I don’t expect everyone going about their busy, often hard lives to be putting masses of thought into this hour by hour, we’ve all got other things going on, and very few people mean harm when they say things like this, it’s just the culture around them that they’ve been immersed in (like me with the wheelchair comments – I get frustrated with myself but repeatedly do it without thinking!) I actually think when people are criticised for saying things like this they feel quite embarrassed as they know they meant no harm and their shame leads them to become dismissive about it in order to protect themselves, if you get what I mean. But I don’t think most people who want to see language changed or just thought about critically should be seen as a mad PC-brigade or ludicrously uptight and have their concerns dismissed. I think it’s simply about respect.

I’m loathe to post this in a sense as I come onto STF for a laugh and to get away from the trials and tribulations of life, but thought it was worth saying.

That's right! I live in Derbyshire ('the north' to many people from the south) and I had a co-worker from Berkshire. Even though she was the odd one out she insisted on being rather patronising about our sweet little northern ways. We once had her going that we were holding a clog-throwing contest! No-one minded except when she used her difference and southern-ness to imply that she was superior. Similarly I was at a wedding reception - bride from Derbyshire, groom from London. Groom got up to make a speech in tribute to his new bride and thought it appropriate (in from of his London-based friends and family) to take the mickey out of her hometown, her football team and her flat vowels! Needless to say it didn't go down too well. That was just insulting to the bride and her guests but I don't think the groom had even a vague idea that he had offended anyone!

Many of us didn't hear this - and it seems no-one is able to enlighten us - but I would imagine that Julia would be horrified if she thought she had caused anyone any offence. Cultural stereotyping (if that is the type of thing it was) is very common, probably much too common. In an ideal world there would be no such thing, not any sexism, ageism, size-ism or any other ism. However these things prevail - but usually they are unintentional with the guilty party largely unaware of their misdemeanor.

To be honest, JR seemed anything but horrified about it. Mum showed me the moment on a tape she had and Julia was very sarcastic with she "apologised" and basically accused whoever it was who complained of taking themselves too seriously, adding "...anyway, I don't."

I'm of Irish heritage via my father and, whilst I don't take any offence over these sorts of comments, it isn't acceptable to have them aired on national television. My late paternal uncle would have been very very upset to hear something like that, which is why you can't take a chance and should keep it to yourself on air.

Goods grief, another one who needs to lighten up. :talking:

I understand that Julia was reprimanded for the comment and told to apologise. The apology was NOT sincere and implied that people were making more of it than they should. I think the wording was "let's not take ourselves too seriously eh?" Let's put the boot on the other foot shall we. A few years ago a particular model - Jo - made a comment about "Julia not being a bad old bird for her age" or something to that effect. Julia's face was a picture - the model made frequent attempts at telling Julia she was only joking but Julia had none of it. The model mysteriously disappeared a while later. Get my gist? If Julia can't take it, she shouldn't be dishing it out and yes, I am from the North and proud of it!

I am 100% with PPC on this. No matter what your background is, the minute you leave your front door you are bombarded with all sorts of prejudice. The source of the prejudice is the fact that everybody is different and, in the context of human interaction, every single one of us, one way or another, makes a point about it.

Latest posts

Back