Archos Android Smartphone TSV 03/08/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ARCHOS 50 Smart phone TSV is it for me ??

I must be one of the only people in the country who HASN'T got a smart phone.
I have been looking around for one for ages but don't want to get one on contract as I don't make that many mobile calls.(My £10.00 pay as you go credit lasts me up to 6 months!!) Due to The fact that the mobile reception here in Cornwall is patchy to say the least and on some networks there is no signal at all, so having 2 sim's ech on different networks sounds like a really good idea.
I do like the idea of being able to use App's , read emails and get on line while I am out and about. Even if it is via WIFI .Which is now available free in so many places.
Also how easy is it to get just the sim card, for pay as you go smart phones??
There is no point in buying it if I can't get a sim or 2 to use with it.
I know I could buy it and then try and sort out these issues but I don't want to waste my P&P money.

We haven't got a smart phone either.................thought about getting OH one for his birthday. We don't use the one we have a lot but we visit our sons in US a couple of times a year and usually just buy a cheapy phone whilst we are over there. My question is if we bought just a sim card - say in Target - would the phone work? Thanks in advance. x

Getting a sim is easy and mostly free. Sometimes if you order through topcashback you can actually get money back for getting a free sim - I did it a while back with O2.
Three aree good (we alla have our iphones on 3) and at the moment have a pay as you go tariff that's 3pm a min calls, 2p a text and 1p a mb for data, which is far cheaper than most of the others. My dad (who's in his 80s) has recently got himself a smartphone and has just got himself a sim for this tariff from them.

I am paying 12P a text on PAYG and 20P a minute on calls, which is why I've never made any calls. Had it for years, just a basic £10 phone from Tesco for emergencies only (that's if I ever remember to take it with me)

With this phone you can use two sims from two different networks which might be really useful if you do go to an area with dodgy coverage... You are sort of hedging your bets that one might work.

I don't know how expensive network charges are on PAYG... Your best bet would be to go into somewhere like Carphone Warehouse and ask them to help you make the comparisons.

If you can use wi-fi with the phone then that's useful as you can surf using 'hotspots' in coffee shops, bars etc for free.

That said, I've got an iPhone and I rarely use it on the web but the apps I've downloaded keep me entertained if I'm bored someplace.

I must be one of the only people in the country who HASN'T got a smart phone.
I have been looking around for one for ages but don't want to get one on contract as I don't make that many mobile calls.(My £10.00 pay as you go credit lasts me up to 6 months!!) Due to The fact that the mobile reception here in Cornwall is patchy to say the least and on some networks there is no signal at all, so having 2 sim's ech on different networks sounds like a really good idea.
I do like the idea of being able to use App's , read emails and get on line while I am out and about. Even if it is via WIFI .Which is now available free in so many places.
Also how easy is it to get just the sim card, for pay as you go smart phones??
There is no point in buying it if I can't get a sim or 2 to use with it.
I know I could buy it and then try and sort out these issues but I don't want to waste my P&P money.

I don't mean to be rude,i really don't so I hope you take this how it's meant.You only live once.Lighten up a bit. Splurge on P and P if you want a phone.Obviously I don't know your circumstances and I wouldn't be so presumptio as to speculate but how much difference will it make to your life itf you lose P and P.You have a 30 day period to try.Trust me I'm not singing QVC's praises.I NEVER would but you won't get a better deal for a decent basic phone WITH 2 sims,anywhere.So live a little.
Why can't you get a sim? Chose a provider with the best coverage in your area ,go into the shop and it'll cost you at most a fiver.I just don't like it when I see people creating problems about nothing so excuse my taking the time to write. Your post just prompted me.The phone has got good reviews on the net.Not the fastest or most poweerful but I;m absolutely certain it will serve your purposes..and then some. Enjoy.

I suppose if you are currently on PAYG, this may be for you. I have always been on contract with o2, which affords me the benefits of a free latest release phone, along with the ability to upgrade, among many others. I do have a back up phone on PAYG, my last contract phone. I wouldn't have anything from Archos, anyway; I find the brand to be of exceptionally poor quality. Also, how many people do not have work mates' phone numbers in their everyday mobile? So I don't think it having a dual sim is that big a deal.

Thanks for you help.
Ryan I wasn't making problems I have just NEVER brought a SIM card before and had no idea they where so readily available. (Sorry).
I have had my present phone for over 10 years now and have no experience of "smart phones" so thought I would ask my "friends" on here to help me.

Thanks for you help.
Ryan I wasn't making problems I have just NEVER brought a SIM card before and had no idea they where so readily available. (Sorry).
I have had my present phone for over 10 years now and have no experience of "smart phones" so thought I would ask my "friends" on here to help me.

Im currently on GiffGaff PAYG, they use the O2 network and they have one of the cheapest plans around. I top up £12 a mnth and get 250mins, Unlimited txts and internet. They also have a £10 option. U can request a sim card online for free aswell

I recently got a leaflet through the door from Virgin - Sim only deal unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data fo £15 pm on a rolling one month contract which is nnext best thing to payg and was how I paid for my phone up til about 6 months. I think they use O2 and Oange so not sure what the reviews of Virgin mobile are like but I will look into it for myself soon.

Latest posts

Back