GTECH - it's what they don't tell you

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I've got the original AirRam from when it first appeared on Q.

I clearly remember how much they kept saying how it cleaned right up to the edge on both sides, which was one of its unique selling points.

But I've now bought the Mk2 and the design is totally different, and it no longer cleans to both edges.

It is only with hindsight that I realised the demos had made no mention of edge cleaning, I just assumed the Mk2 would do the same.

Like I said in the heading "It's what they don't tell you" is often more important than what they do say.

I've noticed that this has happened with lots of "new improved versions" of various other items.

On the GTech website they do claim that the Mark 2 cleans right up to the edge - could yours be faulty?

Clarification, the suction may be to both edges, but not the brush roller.

The original had the drive belt in the centre, so the roller went right up to both edges, so you could go right up to the skirting board and the brush roller would sweep right up to it.

The Mk2 has the drive for the roller at one side, just like every other vacuum cleaner. So the brush only sweeps about an inch away from the skirting on that side. The other side is closer, so you have to remember which side to use next to the skirting,

And as they made no mention of edge cleaning, there are no grounds to query it, I just assumed that it would have kept that unique design feature. On the other hand, it now means the roller can be easily removed for cleaning.

I wasn't really commenting on whether the Mk2 was better or worse, just entirely different.

I've upgraded lots of other gadgets eg cameras for the "improved model"" and they always emphasise all the new features. It's only when you try it that you find that they have also REMOVED other features that you used.

And as I am gadget mad, this has happened a number of times. I watch the demos on Q but more often than not I buy them cheaper elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back