Tools for the Garden & Home 17/06/18

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They are still saying 1,000 square metres I'm guessing they don't want to admit the mistake to everyone watching and figure they will deal with it afterwards.

ADMIN - - could you please leave this as a separate thread so any prospective purchasers do not get caught out like I nearly was.

The SunJoe TSV mower they claim will cut 1000 square metres on one charge, the size of 3 tennis courts, they said.

I've already posted that you would need to be an Olympic athlete to do this in 35 minutes, the time the battery lasts for.

I was seriously thinking of buying it, and looked at reviews from the US, as it is not sold in the UK except by QVC.

One reviewer said "it does not cut 1000 square FEET as advertised".

This set me thinking. The promo video shown on every presentation says that it cuts 100 square metres, but every time they have said this is wrong, it should be 1000 square metres, as does the description.

1000 square FEET as they use in the USA is roughly 100 square metres, so the promo video is actually correct. But QVC are claiming that it cuts 10 times more than this.

I've been in touch with QVC, they've just rung me back to say I am correct, and they will alter the on-line description and correct all the remaining presentations. Presumably they will also say that all the previous ones were wrong!

I was just about to buy it before I discovered the error by shopping around to see if I could buy one cheaper (and there are much cheaper cordless mowers around BTW). It would have only done about a tenth of my garden, that is, about 10 yards by 10 yards.

Has anyone ordered this based on the false information?

I have merged the thread with the TSV thread, as anyone looking for opinions on the TSV would look at the TSV thread so having a separate thread is not necessary.

Much to my surprise they posted my question.

There are now 10 questions, but QVC has not bothered to answer any of them.

What a shambles of a company.

They are still saying 1,000 square metres I'm guessing they don't want to admit the mistake to everyone watching and figure they will deal with it afterwards.

Or they're hoping most people who buy it only have a small lawn so they won't notice the shortcomings of the TSV.

We worked out that we would have to recharge it 5 times to cut our lawn. A charge takes 1.5 hours so that’s 7.5 hours charging plus 3.5 hours cutting - 11 hours! We do have a big lawn and that is not the fault of QVC but if we had taken the 1000 sq m seriously it would be their fault.

I know a lot of you don't like Debbie Flint, but she was by far the best presenter for the lawnmower and asked a lot of sensible questions.

I couldn't fault her presentation.

Stratobuddy if you asked questions on the QVC website they never ever answer. It is for other customers to answer sort well I bought it and it does X Y and Z in my opinion.

Stratobuddy if you asked questions on the QVC website they never ever answer. It is for other customers to answer sort well I bought it and it does X Y and Z in my opinion.

Are you saying that you bought one? If so, I'd be very interested to hear what you think.

I was very tempted just before midnight, on the basis that it would cost me nothing to try it.

Sorry no. I have a man who does my garden for £20! But just saying about asking questions on the QVC website they only want customers to answer the questions. Though other products I have answered a few times when the mood strikes me.

I rang QVC about this last night, they had changed their mind about what they told me earlier, and now said that they thought it was 1000 m2 after all, and the 100 m2 on the video was wrong.

That's was why I was very tempted late last night to buy one, as I would then have a good excuse to send it back if it didn't perform like they said. And you never know, perhaps it would have been OK.

But a 14 inch blade is rather small, in practice you would only be able to do a foot strip at a time, as you would need some overlap.

I still think they are wrong, based on reviews for a very similar SunJoe model in the US (not quite the same as the UK one) where reviews said it never actually does the 1000 square feet as advertised there, which converts to 100 square metres as in the promo video.

I am looking forward to the reviews for it when customers start using it.

I rang QVC about this last night, they had changed their mind about what they told me earlier, and now said that they thought it was 1000 m2 after all, and the 100 m2 on the video was wrong.

That's was why I was very tempted late last night to buy one, as I would then have a good excuse to send it back if it didn't perform like they said. And you never know, perhaps it would have been OK.

But a 14 inch blade is rather small, in practice you would only be able to do a foot strip at a time, as you would need some overlap.

I still think they are wrong, based on reviews for a very similar SunJoe model in the US (not quite the same as the UK one) where reviews said it never actually does the 1000 square feet as advertised there, which converts to 100 square metres as in the promo video.

I am looking forward to the reviews for it when customers start using it.

Aaaaarghhh! Why don't they KNOW about the products they're selling and right from the off? They really are ****** useless. Honestly, no wonder we are so untrusting on here.

CONFESSION TIME

As I had nothing to lose (free PP and free return) I decided this afternoon that if I could get it at the TSV price I would buy it to try, as I really do need a cordless to do the front garden to keep it looking neat. They agreed to the TSV price (saving £42).

My petrol mower is far too big and cumbersome for this front lawn, and it takes more time to get out a 50 metre extension lead, keep moving it around, then wind it up again, than it does to actually mow it with my mains mower.

So I will give it a good test, and measure the battery time and the area it will mow. If it actually does what I want, it will save me a lot of time, as I would like to mow the front every week or so, not every month like I do now.

Otherwise, back it goes!

Hope it does the job Strato and please do post on here as to how it performed. Not in the market for a mower myself but I'm sure these errors apply to lots of products and not just this one.

CC

Not good enough having so much contradictory information from QVC on some really important information.

FWIW I was not impressed with the mower on the demos they were doing outside the studio. Didn't look like an even cut but it might have been because it was grass on a temporary base.

Be interested in your feedback in a proper garden!

I have a large garden but no lawn as it's bloc paved with raised flower beds, so I have no need for a lawn mower. However, if I did have a lawn I may well have considered this mower so it's good that an error in the description has been highlighted.

However, if purchasers find to their cost that it doesn't cut the amount that they claim, I can only imagine the amount of mowers that QVC will have to collect from disappointed/disgruntled customers.

they've over-complicated the claims: I know roughly how long it takes to cut our little pocket handkerchief lawn with a push mower or mains electric and it's the battery life that governs how long it'll work fully charged. Any area quoted is less helpful to me, and exaggerating it is ridiculous.

We have a strimmer that converts to a little mower from Black & Decker which is enough for us (it's not going to create stripes or bowling green surface). Over the Summer the battery is permanently on charge and it suits us. It cost about £70 and on a full charge it'll cut both our front and back gardens twice (that isn't the button pressed continuously but about 40 mins run-time in total. The battery didn't last this long the first few charges but lasts longer now. If we move to a house with a larger lawn we'd need a bigger mower but this will still get used as a strimmer. We bought it a couple of years ago as a stop-gap between mains mowers but we don't really need a bigger machine.

Latest posts

Back