30 Day MBG

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

K

klarionthewitchboy

Guest Shopper
QVC is really banging on about their 30 day MBG at present, with specific adverts of women (actresses?) claiming how convenient it is to try new products in the comfort of your own home, knowing that you have 30 days to return these goods if you don't like them.

All very good, but previous posts on here have stated that customers who have done this "one too many times" (as far as QVC are concerned), have been sent a letter stating this from QVC.

Now, I wonder what Trading Standards would make of this, since neither these adverts (nor the presenters) state that there is any kind of limit on the number of times each customer can returning goods within 30 days of receiving them.

I would think that this would be classed as mis-selling and false representation, since QVC haven't made their MBG policies clear at the point of sale. So, I would advise anyone who receives such a letter from QVC to seek advice from Trading Standards as soon as they receive their letter.

have you noticed also how in those 'ads' (that we are supposed to think are regular peeps like us) they are trying to cover the age ranges now too - there is even a poor baby on there!!!

Maybe Anne Winky Robinson doesnt want anyone dissing QVC because off screen she loves to wear Kim & Co and thats the only place she can get them.

that would explain her permanently growly face, she constantly has thrush from the nylon overload

have you noticed also how in those 'ads' (that we are supposed to think are regular peeps like us) they are trying to cover the age ranges now too - there is even a poor baby on there!!!

That's apt, since QVC does LOADS for babies and toddlers?!? :taphead:

as far as I'm aware or been informed previously - when we first shop with QVC,we do all open a contract so to speak - and with all the welcome stuff - apparently there is a terms of the contract - and in there it states about if you over use and abuse the 30 mbg - so QVC do think they are covered.

I can't remember recieving a welcome pack - I must of as I have a membership card? - but when I got myself in a lather (oo-er missus!) over the letter - I did go on the website and the terms and conditions are there.

as far as I'm aware or been informed previously - when we first shop with QVC,we do all open a contract so to speak - and with all the welcome stuff - apparently there is a terms of the contract - and in there it states about if you over use and abuse the 30 mbg - so QVC do think they are covered.

I can't remember recieving a welcome pack - I must of as I have a membership card? - but when I got myself in a lather (oo-er missus!) over the letter - I did go on the website and the terms and conditions are there.

What do they mean by this?

And I'm really not sure that putting something in small print after you've bought an item counts as your being able to make an informed choice to buy and try or not.

I'm not sure they actually use the word "over-use" - thats my language:cheeky: but their contract is something to that effect.

I agree with you about the samll print after you bought - but QVC do state that by buying from them you are entering into a contract.....................I think......from what i understood anyway:drunk:

I'm not sure they actually use the word "over-use" - thats my language:cheeky: but their contract is something to that effect.

I agree with you about the samll print after you bought - but QVC do state that by buying from them you are entering into a contract.....................I think......from what i understood anyway:drunk:

The thing is, EVERY time you purchase something from any seller, you enter into a contract with that seller: the customer agrees to pay the amount the seller wants, and the seller agrees to provide the product as advertised (unless the advert says that goods to a similar value may be substituted). This is all part of the Sales of Goods Act - is NOTHING unique to QVC.

If QVC is not making their "fair use" policy clear in their adverts or in their presentations when people are deciding to buy their goods, then they're breaking the law.

I get my BB from BT - they have a fair use policy that states that I can have up to 8MB download speed, but if I am a heavy BB user this may be restricted at peak times so more people can use BB. This was not announced AFTER I signed up: this was made clear BEFORE I signed a contract, so I could make an informed decision.

QVC are spivs: DON'T let them scare or confuse you by quoting "law" or "contracts": they're basically talking b*ll*cks.

They should spell out in their terms and conditions exactly what they consider "over use" of the MBG. If you don't know what it is, how do you know you've breached it ?

They should spell out in their terms and conditions exactly what they consider "over use" of the MBG. If you don't know what it is, how do you know you've breached it ?

Exactly.

QVC's adverts and presenters lead you to believe that you can try any number of products in your home for 30 days before deciding to return them.

Only THEY seem to know about this magical "cut-off" where a customer may have tried more products "in the comfort of their own home" before deciding to return them.

By not explicitly stating that each customer has a set "limit" for returning items outright before customers decide to purchase items, I believe that QVC is breaking the law.

As I outlined earlier. when you make any purchase from any seller, you are entering into a binding contract with that seller (albeit one that both YOU and the SELLER agree to). By keeping parts of their returns policy deliberately vague until you hit their secret "limit", QVC are not givving their customers the ability to make an informed choice.

That is fraud. They may as well start selling knock-off goods as the real thing and be done with it.

QVC is really banging on about their 30 day MBG at present, with specific adverts of women (actresses?) claiming how convenient it is to try new products in the comfort of your own home, knowing that you have 30 days to return these goods if you don't like them.

All very good, but previous posts on here have stated that customers who have done this "one too many times" (as far as QVC are concerned), have been sent a letter stating this from QVC.

Now, I wonder what Trading Standards would make of this, since neither these adverts (nor the presenters) state that there is any kind of limit on the number of times each customer can returning goods within 30 days of receiving them.

I would think that this would be classed as mis-selling and false representation, since QVC haven't made their MBG policies clear at the point of sale. So, I would advise anyone who receives such a letter from QVC to seek advice from Trading Standards as soon as they receive their letter.

Thank you to Klarion for bringing these ads to everyone's attention, very timely for me as I have just written to Dermot Boyd (QVC's CEO) about this very subject. I totally agree with you that if the presenters constantly bang on about the 30 no quibble mbg then they should also point out immediately after this sales spiel that returns are monitored and your account will be closed if their secret pro rata sales/returns percentage is exceeded. QVC cannot enforce this 'rule' if nobody knows exactly what it is and imho more transparency is needed on air so that everybody can make a properly informed choice whether to buy and take a chance that they will want to keep the product or be penalised for returning it if they don't.

I did go on the website and the terms and conditions are there.

Yes the T&Cs are there but how many people would read them in relation to a shopping channel?? It's different if you are entering into an important financial agreement such as taking out a mortgage, loan, cc etc then I think most people would check the small print carefully. However, I'm sure 90% of people wouldn't worry about checking all the conditions of sale when shopping with such a well known channel as QVC especially when they push their 'if you don't like it you can send it back' mbg so relentlessly.

The reason I have responded to this thread is because QVC arbitrarily closed my account 2 days ago without so much as a phone call to discuss my returns and I await with interest for Mr Boyd's response and I shall post it on here.

I agree that the limit on the number of returns is never, ever mentioned on air.

We are positively encouraged to buy more than we need "try it in different colours, see what works with your wardrobe" - we are even told to take trinkets to a jeweller for valuation.

This is an angle which is constantly repeated by every presenter. We are told no other retailer would take returns in earrings or make up once used. Fair enough, but still no mention of the limit.

When I first heard about the letter, I was stunned. When I watch all the banging on about taking things back I find it really annoying so phoney and sickening.:puke:

Last edited:
What do they mean by this?

And I'm really not sure that putting something in small print after you've bought an item counts as your being able to make an informed choice to buy and try or not.

I am affraid it does. You are meant to read ( seriously, stop laughing!) all the small print of the terms and conditions, even the 673 pages full of stuff when you subscribe to any service offered on the internet, eg installing a different webbrowser of downloading smilies to use for your use. No one ever does, me included, but you are clicking to abide by their terms and conditions and sadly that then applies.
Incidentially I know that in the days of catalogues they had a similar policy and if you exceeded their return rate they also declined your custom. (I never had a catalogue, but a friend did)

Good luck with that PPC.

What a nerve to close your account without any warning. I'm sure you would have put your case across well.

We'd love to hear the result.

Latest posts

Back