Advice needed on Cleansers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sweep

Registered Shopper
Hi everyone, I haven't logged on in a while. I need some advice on facial cleansers. So here's the story, I have been using "premium" cleansers for a year now and this is what I have used since April 2012: Elemis men's facial wash, Elemis tri enzyme facial wash, Elemis lime blossom cleanser, Elemis melting cleansing gel and I am now using the Gatineau cleansing cream that cleanses and tones in one step. I like the fact that it tones as well. I am in my early 20s, am male and have oily skin, open pores and am prone to blackheads on the nose. I haven't had blackheads for a long time now (touch wood!). I am think of trying out Fiona's cleanser from Decleor (the 3 in 1 hydra radiance smoothing cleansing mousse) is this any good? Fiona stated that you do not need to tone after using this product, but I found an image of the packaging and it says "preferably follow with Decleor's tonifying lotion", so I don't know whos word to take. I would like a cleanser that does not really need you to tone afterwards.

Has anyone found a facial cleanser/wash that has clicked and worked wonders? Any advice will be gratefully received thank you in advance.

Sweep x:talking:

Hi Sweep! I am a firm believer that a toner is never necessary- unless you are using a cleansing milk or lotion that is not water soluble. Most of the leading cleansers are removed either like a wash or with a muslin, flannel, mitt or wash cloth and is removed perfectly well in this way, using hot/warm water. If you have cleansed properly, you would not need to tone, right? Brands nearly always say ideally follow with their own branded toner because it is more profit for them. I have never used a toner save for a clinique one many years ago that was like paint stripper and Liz Earle instant boost skin tonic- which was lovely but perhaps a bit too girly smelling for you.

If you are young with a tendency towards oily skin I would suggest 1) Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish - mens or womens is fine as it's exactly the same stuff inside, 2) Elemis Pro radiance cream cleanser with a mitt or muslin to remove it or 3) Eve Lom cleanser with muslin to remove. All 3 of these should be fine for you and are all very unisex in their smell.

Good luck!

Have you ever tried Nivea cleanse and tone? It works for me, my face is clear of spots, blackheads etc and I've used it for years.

Hi Sweep. Cant comment on Fionas cleanser but i love Decleor for moisture - balm, oils and hydra floral. To cleanse i use Philosophy Purity with a Clarisonic morning and night and it has worked wonders for my oily/combination skin and always follow with one of the Decleor moisturisers mentioned. Its been a long and expensive search to find what works for me so hopefully you will hit on your perfect combo soon!

I can highly reccomend tesco's new skincare range, its called pro formular, ive been used the hot cloth cleanser and moisturiser and its fantastic , My OH has oily/cpmbination skin and hes using it too. Ive used decleor cleanser and imo its not great.

Cleanse and polish. No toner needed and a pleasure to use. You might try alpha h liquid gold 3 nights a week. It does seem to sort out troubled skin.

I mix and match, and like LE, Elemis, Decleor, Gatineau. APlpha H, in search of the holy grail. But adore the Perricone Nutritive Cleanser. Keep looking at filmstars and wonder why they are not made to use this when they film in HD.... Yes it is pricey, but it is usually in tsvs, or special prices (when I have bought). At superbargain prices, or TSVs it is worth it, but... outside of that, it is pricey. But it is an instant fix and my travel size is in my travel bag.

I've tried most of the high end cleansers in the past but now stick with Boots No7. They make a good range for all skin types. Their hot cloth cleanser is very like Liz Earle but cheaper, especially with the way they are forever giving out coupons & having offers. Currently their skin care is on 3 for 2 plus you get a £5 voucher to spend next time.
I use a hot cloth with any of their cleansers
If you want a more upmarket foaming one, Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser is lovely & a tube lasts ages.

Use one that does not strip your skin, you use too harsh it will make your skin oily as the the generates more oil to make up for what you strip off.

Honestly no cleanser will do what you want. What will is a Clarisonic! Think sonic toothbrush which loosens stuff stuck in your teeth. So the Clarisonic will do that for your skin. Blackheads are clogged pores. You can get a Mia in dark grey colour if worried about having a pale colour one. Yes, an investment but will pay for themselves. QVC has them on easy pay on occasions, otherwise look round online. For all the money you have spent on cleansers you could have paid for a Clarisonic. Any cleanser you remove with water will work. I like Elemis Sensitive Wash, but that is just me.

Get a bar of soap, a flannel...and wash...sorted...and cheaper too :happy:

absolutely. those cleansers wont get your skin really clean. I am a woman and I never use creamy cleansers loathe them with a passion. I use l'occitane shea face soap. smells nice and my skin is super soft,clean and no spots. all these products upset my skin

Get a bar of soap, a flannel...and wash...sorted...and cheaper too :happy:

Hi Sweep I agree with Simon that soap should do the trick but substitute 'flannel' for microfibre cloth. The microfibre cloths dry overnight if wrung out and hung up overnight/allday so don't get smelly. You don't need to use a clean one every day as the soap keeps them clean. Don't bother with any fancy beauty microfibre cloths. You can buy them from all the poundshops - 4 for £1.

You just stick them in the washing machine but with a detergent that does not have a conditioner in order to get the best use but even if you have used a conditioner they still seem to work.

I like liz earles cloths even more than the emma harding one. I have has mine for years and still do the job. cream cleanser are not for everyone and if you have oilier thicker skin a no no. far too much hype and expense in skincare.

I like liz earles cloths even more than the emma harding one. I have has mine for years and still do the job. cream cleanser are not for everyone and if you have oilier thicker skin a no no. far too much hype and expense in skincare.

I had an oily skin when I was younger. I was at the hospital dermatologist and she specifically told me that I should not use moisturisers (read creamy cleansers as well). I was just using soap and water anyway. Now my skin is a lot drier and I have to use moisturiser.

My OH used to get awful dry patches on his face but also blackheads around his nose because he works outdoors amongst soil , gravel, cement etc and sweated a lot. He also had eczema on his elbows and knees. I started him on African black soap from Akamuti and he now has lovely skin. I buy the block soap from them because it has nothing in it, the liquid black soap they sell has added fragrance and rose water which doesnt do for everybody. The soap is lovely and creamy yet cleanses thoroughly without drying but make sure you dont let it sit in a puddle after use because it just dissolves if you do.

I had an oily skin when I was younger. I was at the hospital dermatologist and she specifically told me that I should not use moisturisers (read creamy cleansers as well). I was just using soap and water anyway. Now my skin is a lot drier and I have to use moisturiser.

absolutely I still use moisturiser always have but I don't use creamy cleansers as they make my skin feel claggy and dirty. a good old wash and my skin is fine but I do always need a moisturiser and my fav is alpha-h rejuvenating cream. the glycolics suit me and no essential oils to further agrivate my skin. product overload is imo a factor with some skin ailments now my bod can take anything lol as dry as anything

Use one that does not strip your skin, you use too harsh it will make your skin oily as the the generates more oil to make up for what you strip off.

Honestly no cleanser will do what you want. What will is a Clarisonic! Think sonic toothbrush which loosens stuff stuck in your teeth. So the Clarisonic will do that for your skin. Blackheads are clogged pores. You can get a Mia in dark grey colour if worried about having a pale colour one. Yes, an investment but will pay for themselves. QVC has them on easy pay on occasions, otherwise look round online. For all the money you have spent on cleansers you could have paid for a Clarisonic. Any cleanser you remove with water will work. I like Elemis Sensitive Wash, but that is just me.

TOTALLY AGREE and just what I was going to write

One thing ive learnt about Oily/combination skin is the main cause of this skin type is using too harsh products, the best type of products to use for this skin type is the sensertive option as this will help desensitise the skin and will also help with the combination and excess oil.

I think its best to keep it simple and just cleanse and moisturise, however i dont think any of us can tell you what product will work for you as i think its differnt for everyone, what works on one persons skin wont work on another, I could reel of a list of products ive used and hated or seen no results with but this doesnt mean they dont work for other people. i guess this is where the 30mbg comes into effect. Good luck thou

I have a very similar skin type. I have large pores, propensity to break outs and blackhead. I've seen brilliant results with AlphaH balancing cleanser and the exfoliation moisturiser. My pores are empty and much smaller.
I'd also agree about using a cleansing device. My budget won't stretch to a Clarisonic just yet so I'm using the No 7 brush. I've seen great results. Its a rotating brush (not sonic) but still gets great results.

Latest posts

Back