Advice needed on Cleansers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I normally use Gatineau Cleanser & Toner but had bought a Decleor TSV with the Cleansing Mousse in it. It is a good "wake up" cleanser in the morning but I do find it really quite drying - by the time I've rinsed it off I feel my skin is screaming out for moisturiser.

For a nice wash off cleanser my favourite is still the good old "high street" Nivea Gentle Cleansing Cream Wash.

I used to be a fan of the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish but find it a little bit too heavy. After trying Alpha H , I have no plans on going back to Liz Earle. much prefer this brand, smoother consistency, feels wonderful on my skin, and works out much cheaper, also can be used around the eyes which I need to have in a cleanser. I don't feel the need to use toner. It's trial and error until you find the one for you .

@ Sweep: Have you ever tried the Boots No 7 range? They have two fantastic cleansers which I am using when not using Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish: The "Melting Gel Cleanser" and the "Hot Cloth Cleanser", both are very good and I don't necessarily need a toner afterwards. Maybe worth a try?

I have tried the decleor hydra radiance cleanser & it really lathers up , even with the tiniest amount. It will last much longer than expected and I would recommend trying it.
Currently I am trying (again) the elemis pro radiance cream cleanser, I always seem to get spots, even using the face cloths provided.
So will be going back to decleor.

I have tried the decleor hydra radiance cleanser & it really lathers up , even with the tiniest amount. It will last much longer than expected and I would recommend trying it.
Currently I am trying (again) the elemis pro radiance cream cleanser, I always seem to get spots, even using the face cloths provided.

I got small hard red lumps with this. I use Garnier grape which removes waterproof makeup and is fab, no irritation. Currently trying Elemis balm which is lovely, but going easy, as a "every three day" super cleanse, not to remove makeup though.

Talking of the Decleor hydra cleanser, it was on again last nite and Fiona again said you dont need to tone after using it, however when ive bought it in the past it says on that back of the product tone after using the cleanser. I personally find it really drying so no longer use it. So have they updated the packaging now to say you dont need to tone ?

I'm so glad (in a way!) to hear of someone else who struggled with the pro radiance cleanser, it left my pores enormous and I've never suffered from greasy skin or enlarged pores. Maybe if you persist a bit longer your skin will get used to it, but I tried for 5 weeks and my pores just continued to look enlarged. I wonder whether it really is suitable to those from 25 upwards like they claim, too heavy I feel.

Heya Sweep,

I have tried about everything going. I currently use Pears Oil Clear (green Pears soap) and also Neutrogena Visibly Clear 2 in 1. In the past I really liked a product called "The Great Mystery" by Philosophy. It was a thick clear paste that would turn white on application. All you do is rinse off and BAM! Cleansed, conditioned skin. I find I still have oily skin even though am approaching 30 :( but all these products work well.

Heya Sweep,

I have tried about everything going. I currently use Pears Oil Clear (green Pears soap) and also Neutrogena Visibly Clear 2 in 1. In the past I really liked a product called "The Great Mystery" by Philosophy. It was a thick clear paste that would turn white on application. All you do is rinse off and BAM! Cleansed, conditioned skin. I find I still have oily skin even though am approaching 30 :( but all these products work well.

Have u tried the Neutrogena soap (orange bar) ? I got given it from a friend and now use every day on my face its brilliant, u can get it for £2.99 on ebay

I really would urge you to use a toner Sweep!

It really is an essential step IMO and I don't understand peeps who skip this step. As you are a bloke I would suggest you apply a little to the palm of your hand, rub your hands together and pat onto your face. This is a great way to apply toner for anyone, as your product will last about 4-5 times as long as none of it will be wasted by being absorbed by cotton wool. Also if you have any stubble cotton is really a no-go! Shiseido Men do one that I think might be good for guys to use.

Toner is misunderstood as Beauty Companies for years mis-sold it as being able to close your pores, which it will not. Something with a lot of alcohol will de-hydrate your skin and cause it to constrict which will give the impression of smaller pores, but this is not a good thing and is temporary, so therefore make sure you use something alcohol-free. Modern formulas will be the first step in quenching and Hydrating your skin, and will mean your serums and moisturisers will be more effective. It also balances the skins ph meaning your skins protective barrier will be better able to fight bacteria etc.

The Decleor radiance cleanser is very good (though not as good as the original formula!) but I wouldn't use it without toning after!

Latest posts

Back