Alison Young

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just shows, you can wear a crash helmet, but it doesn't prevent serious and life changing injuries elsewhere.

I always wonder about cowboys. Have binge watched Yellowstone (Paramount+ with Kevin Costner), and to my untrained eye the horses used in the States seem to be lower in height than horses in the UK. Cowboys just step up to them with ease, no safety headgear worn and go like the clappers over the range. Yes there are no doubt severe casualties, particularly in Rodeo, but personal safety (or vanity) is not at the forefront of their psyche.

Just shows, you can wear a crash helmet, but it doesn't prevent serious and life changing injuries elsewhere.

I always wonder about cowboys. Have binge watched Yellowstone (Paramount+ with Kevin Costner), and to my untrained eye the horses used in the States seem to be lower in height than horses in the UK. Cowboys just step up to them with ease, no safety headgear worn and go like the clappers over the range. Yes there are no doubt severe casualties, particularly in Rodeo, but personal safety (or vanity) is not at the forefront of their psyche.
The ponies on ranches are very easy to manage. They turn on a sixpence. Also, in cowboy county, one rarely goes off ranch/other & therefore there is little to spook the horse. Cowboys are often on horses before they can walk. Some people just never fall off. I know a few. our VWH Hunt has a prize for 'first faller' of the season. Riding bulls at rodeo is a different thing altogether. Not done that, but enjoy it on telly.

Latest posts

Back