Alternatives

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

OrangeLady

Registered Shopper
We're clearly all disappointed or disillusioned with Gemporia in their current state.

So, if you're not buying from Gemporia/ Gem Collector, where are you buying from?

Here's some. Not secret or especially recommended but some places I look at periodically.

Jewellery:

- Tara Coomber. Have a couple of her Eden cut rings - from Gemporia (Image 1) but her own site is worth a look. (I really don't think these are bad value on Gemporia. One at a non-reduced web price of £104.)

- Bought a Rahul Patel Indian garnet ring through Wolf & Badger. Nice weight, dark garnet but lights up in the sun. (Image 2)

- (Anthony) Tindall's of London is a One Man Band silversmith; I keep an eye on his shop. Have two rings, heavy Britannia silver, in the size I wanted (Image 3)

Otherwise, I think of a colour or stone I fancy and hunt eBay and Etsy. Bought a nice 1960s 9k gold unisex moss agate ring for £115. You can even sometimes get a Gems TV piece of yesteryear (nice weight, cut, design).

Stones & Specimens:

- TMWNN has always pointed to GemSelect & I've bought from them.
- I buy Ethiopian opals from a UK dealer.
- I quite like therockgallery.co.uk
- Gemgazer.com has a lovely range
- Bought a beautiful rose quartz specimen from Madagascandirect.com

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-21-07-21-33-420.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-05-21-07-21-33-420.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-05-21-07-22-31-147.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-05-21-07-22-31-147.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240521_073923.jpg
    20240521_073923.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 0
EBay. Now, I haven't bought from Gemporia for years, but eBay have many independent jewellers making lovely stuff. You can get second hand if you want. The last piece I bought was a 9ct gold bubble ring, it was made to order so took longer to arrive as it had to go to the assay office to be hallmarked at 4 grams of gold. It turned out it was a proper jewellers based in Birmingham. They had different gems in the ring, but I picked amethyst as it is my birth stone. Esty is also good but can be more expensive than eBay.

Those are some nice pieces you've got Andy!

I never think to look on ebay, I've got a preconception that it's fake or knock off stuff. Hadn't expected independent makers selling there, I thought they'd all be on Etsy.

What's your experience of buying from GemSelect?
There are some beautiful stones on there and I'm tempted!

Jewellery:
Otherwise, I think of a colour or stone I fancy and hunt eBay and Etsy. Bought a nice 1960s 9k gold unisex moss agate ring for £115. You can even sometimes get a Gems TV piece of yesteryear (nice weight, cut, design).

Stones & Specimens:
- TMWNN has always pointed to GemSelect & I've bought from them.

We're clearly all disappointed or disillusioned with Gemporia in their current state.

So, if you're not buying from Gemporia/ Gem Collector, where are you buying from?

I buy from Ebay and TJC.

I have to be snappy on the TJC web auctions in the final closing seconds, but I've got gemstone set jewellery bargains from there.

The most recent I bought from TJC web auctions was just a few days ago. I paid £45 for this. I love good Labradorite with life in the stone. I'm delighted with this. It has a great handcrafted silver weight too.

I've bought some amazing, substantial African Amethyst, Ethiopian Opal & Diopside silver jewellery and a beautiful Rachel Galley natural pink sapphires, diopside & blue Zircon silver bangle from TJC also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240521_082008_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_082008_Chrome.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
& these from TJC too.

From TJC online auction:
Opal bracelet I bought for £50.
Zambian Amethyst bracelet I bought for £59.

Plus lots of other great jewellery from their online auctions. I just couldn't help it lol. I don't regret any of them. Sure, if something doesn't match my expectation I've got 30 days to send back for a refund, which I do, so I only keep what I want to. Which is most of what I've bought but hey ho, you only live once. And at these prices I could always sell what I don't wear in the future. Don't think that's going to happen though to be honest haha.

& from the TJC website I bought my Rachel Galley bangle for £94.99 (last screenshot).
I had my eye on this for a while. It's superb. The gemstones really sparkle. One of my all time favourite pieces of jewellery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240521_084053_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_084053_Chrome.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240521_084429_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_084429_Chrome.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240521_084854_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240521_084854_Chrome.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Those are some nice pieces you've got Andy!

I never think to look on ebay, I've got a preconception that it's fake or knock off stuff. Hadn't expected independent makers selling there, I thought they'd all be on Etsy.

Donna is right. eBay has improved its Seller base a lot, particularly during the pandemic. Very reputable firms list on eBay now. Sometimes as a Marketing initiative (list a few, choice or even loss-leader items & send full details with parcel) or sometimes limited quantity, end of line, bookend size items.

Don't get me wrong - there are still scammers and liars. I would hope that you'd know without clicking on these links (image attached) that £30 for a tiny bit of glass is expensive 😁.

GemSelect is fine. They declare everything and the one you are looking at is the one you will get. They are based in the Far East but I don't find their P&P unreasonable and you just need to find two items you like (their range is vast) to start to make the shipping cost even more acceptable. TMWNN will probably have a more informed view.

Clearwatergems.com is another very good, honest, reliable dealer (and he has a presence on both eBay & Etsy).

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-21-09-00-39-816.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-05-21-09-00-39-816.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0
& these from TJC too.

From TJC online auction:

Plus lots of other great jewellery from their online auctions. I just couldn't help it lol. I don't regret any of them. Sure, if something doesn't match my expectation I've got 30 days to send back for a refund, which I do, so I only keep what I want to. Which is most of what I've bought but hey ho, you only live once. And at these prices I could always sell what I don't wear in the future. Don't think that's going to happen though to be honest haha.

& from the TJC website I bought my Rachel Galley bangle for £94.99 (last screenshot).
I had my eye on this for a while. It's superb. The gemstones really sparkle. One of my all time favourite pieces of jewellery.

I’ve got that lovely Rachel G bangle too. Think she said the stones are supposed to depict a river running. Love it. As a rule I find TJC are better quality than Gemporia but Gemporia used to have more variety . Not any more sadly.

& these from TJC too.

From TJC online auction:

Lovely Rachel Galley bracelet, Pebbles.

Since becoming disillusioned with Gemporia several years ago, my buys (either as gifts or for myself) have been:-

I like silver as well, so I've got a few pieces of Rachel Galley's collection too, and I love them - all bought from TJC, most of them a few years ago (think I bought my first piece from her in about 2012). Lovely heavyweight silver and the pendants came with their own long, heavy silver chains. I have a silver teardrop shaped pendant with a blue topaz inset, a silver 'heart within a heart' pendant, several silver 'button' rings (used to love those) - one of which weighs over 7g of silver and one is a heart-shaped 'button' ring. Also bought a couple of silver cat charms, one for my sister who wears hers constantly. Nice chunky bails to them, too. All these bought from TJC and my tip would be: keep an eye on the Rachel Galley collection on their website, they often knock down the prices when they only have some of the ring sizes left, and you can pick up some good deals. My 'button' ring, over 7g of silver, cost £17.00 when they had some 'last sizes left' reductions. You might also like the Lucy Q range on TJC if you like silver, too.

I've bought a couple of gemstones from GemSelect too, and a couple from Etsy.

Also bought a couple of secondhand gold pieces from Cavendish Jewellers of York - they do a good secondhand range. Some very expensive pieces, but there are some good deals if you look, particularly when they have discounts or the occasional sale. Great customer service, too and they'll answer as many questions as you like before buying - just email them.

https://thejewellerywarehouse.com/product-category/antique-jewellery - another secondhand jewellers based in Stockport. Again, excellent customer service and they'll happily answer any enquiries before you buy. PS: I got my tip-off about GemSelect from TMWNN too!

Last edited:
Forgot to say that the secondhand gold pieces from The Jewellery Warehouse have been pendants mainly, set with either amethyst, garnet, peridot or aquamarine (some with accent seed pearls), ranging from £79 to £115 each, bought when they were doing a 25% off discount. Some bought as special birthday presents.

I don't buy jewellery other than for Christmas presents for so I can't comment, but I do know that when it comes to gold chains, Cooksongold take some beating.

I've bought 1 gram 9k gold chains from them for the same price as Gemporia charge for less than half a gram.

When it comes to lose stones, I tend to buy from a few places (particularly if I'm after something more 'niche') - but generally, as a direct competitor to Gem Collector type stones, I buy from GemSelect.

Their prices are generally cheaper on most stones, the cuts and stone quality are better, and unlike Gem Collector, you actually get the stone you see in the photo when you buy from GemSelect. You also get a certificate of authenticity - and the info is always correct (unlike Gem Collector, who I've pulled up numerous times for having 'mistakes' on their certificates).

Usually cheaper
Better quality stones
Better quality cuts.
You get the actual stone shown in the photo.
You get a certificate of authenticity.

Postage prices are a little more (about £7 rings a bell) - and they take about a week to arrive (because they come by Airmail from Thailand).

The only thing to be mindful of with GemSelect is that because they're coming overseas, if you place an order for £133 or more, you will incur customs import charges / 'Excise Fees'.

These fees do not get added to orders below £135 - so if you're placing a big order, its usually cheaper to 'split' your order in order to avoid those fees (DO NOT combine them on the same day though, because GemSelect have been known to combine orders from the same day because they think they're helping by saving you a postage fee). Place one order first, then wait until your first order has been dispatched (usually within 24 hours), then place your 2nd order.

If you do want to order a more expensive stone that is over £135, remember to allow for an extra 20% or so to cover the customs fees / 'Excise Fees'- plus a further £9 on to to cover Royal Mail's 'handling fee', which they seem to like add on anything that customs has handed to them.

Usually cheaper
Better quality stones
Better quality cuts.
You get the actual stone shown in the photo.
You get a certificate of authenticity.

Postage prices are a little more (about £7 rings a bell) - and they take about a week to arrive (because they come by Airmail from Thailand).

The only thing to be mindful of with GemSelect is that because they're coming overseas, if you place an order for £133 or more, you will incur customs import charges / 'Excise Fees'.

These fees do not get added to orders below £135 - so if you're placing a big order, its usually cheaper to 'split' your order in order to avoid those fees (DO NOT combine them on the same day though, because GemSelect have been known to combine orders from the same day because they think they're helping by saving you a postage fee). Place one order first, then wait until your first order has been dispatched (usually within 24 hours), then place your 2nd order.

If you do want to order a more expensive stone that is over £135, remember to allow for an extra 20% or so to cover the customs fees / 'Excise Fees'- plus a further £9 on to to cover Royal Mail's 'handling fee', which they seem to like add on anything that customs has handed to them.
Very helpful information - thanks very much for posting this.

If you want some very good handmade silver bracelets, earrings or rings, I can recommend: John Garland Taylor. I have two bangles, both made to my size for around £70 each. They are a small artisan jeweller in Warwickshire. 100 times better than anything I’ve bought from Gemporia! Also, having just come back from Yorkshire, I can also recommend W Hammond if you like Whitby Jet. Not the cheapest, but very good quality. I bought earrings and a ring, and there was a good amount of silver. Both companies are on line.

I don't buy jewellery other than for Christmas presents for so I can't comment, but I do know that when it comes to gold chains, Cooksongold take some beating.

I've bought 1 gram 9k gold chains from them for the same price as Gemporia charge for less than half a gram.

When it comes to lose stones, I tend to buy from a few places (particularly if I'm after something more 'niche') - but generally, as a direct competitor to Gem Collector type stones, I buy from GemSelect.

Their prices are generally cheaper on most stones, the cuts and stone quality are better, and unlike Gem Collector, you actually get the stone you see in the photo when you buy from GemSelect. You also get a certificate of authenticity - and the info is always correct (unlike Gem Collector, who I've pulled up numerous times for having 'mistakes' on their certificates).
I ALWAYS go to Cookson gold for chains and findings. Nowhere else comes close to the value they offer.

GeoGut - Polish e-shop with minerals, fossils, meteorites, and jewelry. Trusted source because the owner of this business is a professional geologist, mineralogist, and petrographer.

Tajemnice Klejnotów - another trusted source. This e-shop belongs to the Museum of Minerals and Fossils in Święta Katarzyna, Poland.

Fusima - Polish e-shop with cabochons. Low prices, medium quality of the stones.

Onyx Wrocław - Polish e-shop with cabochons and faceted gemstones. High prices, high quality of the stones. The owner of this business is a lapidarist. I haven't shop with Onyx Wrocław yet.

GeoGut - Polish e-shop with minerals, fossils, meteorites, and jewelry. Trusted source because the owner of this business is a professional geologist, mineralogist, and petrographer.

Tajemnice Klejnotów - another trusted source. This e-shop belongs to the Museum of Minerals and Fossils in Święta Katarzyna, Poland.

Fusima - Polish e-shop with cabochons. Low prices, medium quality of the stones.

Onyx Wrocław - Polish e-shop with cabochons and faceted gemstones. High prices, high quality of the stones. The owner of this business is a lapidarist. I haven't shop with Onyx Wrocław yet.
Like you said regarding Gemporia and postage to Poland. If you are buying from there, are you buying something for pennies and paying lots for postage?

Like you said regarding Gemporia and postage to Poland. If you are buying from there, are you buying something for pennies and paying lots for postage?
When I want to buy a cheap product, I always add something to the basket. It's wiser to place one big order than two small ones. I wouldn't pay 7.98 euros (P&P) to get a ring that costs 11 euros.

Latest posts

Back