Am Puzzled So Have To Ask - Why...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The thing with QVC (or any other retailer), is what they DON'T say.

QVC, as others have pointed out, likes to foster a "We're all chums" attitude. Or with the likes of Debbie Flint and secret FB groups, a feeling of "We're the chosen few", unlike lesser mortals they are privy to the private thoughts of their High Priestess of chunky legs, smutty ebooks and pointy fingers :mysmilie_48:

But then this illusion gets burst when viewer favourite presenters, guests and models get binned off without a word, long-standing customers receive snotty letters telling them that they have crossed some mystical total on returned items (which is never mentioned on screen, or indeed elsewhere) and warning them their accounts may get closed, and when one realises that QVC refuses to explain exactly why postage is charged per item and not per order.

People watch shopping telly as entertainment, and the more vulnerable DO get taken for a ride as they take the manufactured chumminess too literally. I know of one poor guy who was obsessed with Ellis Ward, and who went out of his way to buy stuff from her first shows on Gemporia after moving from TJC, just to "help her out" and "settle in". This guy was his mum's carer, had very little disposable income to spare, and had never met the woman. But he felt a connection with her on-screen persona, probably because he was lonely. It didn't matter to him that her behaviour was all part of her way of getting viewers to part with their cash, he just couldn't or wouldn't see it.

That guy clearly has mental issues. I remember Ellis Ward on TJC. She was so hyper and came across like a demented frog on speed.

Oh goodness, I remember those catalogue days. My mother used to get them near Christmas and go through and plan what to get through the post and what needed doing in town. (And remember when there were jokes about young boys thumbing through their mothers catalogues looking at the underwear pages?! :mysmilie_17:)

Ooooh, this made me laugh!! My cousin as a young boy used to cut the bras off the paper ladies in the catalogue hoping to see their boobs underneath :mysmilie_17: :mysmilie_17:

Latest posts

Back