Annaliese has she left?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I said on a previous thread, when she first came to QVC, that I thought she saw the job as a stepping stone. Once she has ‘been noticed’ by the mainstream ( as it appears that she now has) she will be off to pastures new!

Craig is only doing spasmodic shows, so perhaps he's off filming Place in the Sun. For those that have watched it, does he, like the rest of the young presenters, maintain that he's spent "several years developing properties / has a successful interior design business, and / bought and sold properties over the years" ? Most of them don't look old enough or rich enough to be involved with development - probably why they've resorted to a job on the tele !!!!

I'd like to see Annaliese on A Place in the Sun. I think some of the presenters have genuinely been involved in the property business, if not all. As for Craig, I find him quite difficult to watch on that programme. There was one show where he just kept saying to the househunters "How do you feel, how do you feel?" every two minutes. It was really uncomfortable viewing.

Well, Scarlette Douglas has spent her life as an entertainer - but her opener on the show was that she developed houses ! ...https://www.aplaceinthesun.com/tv-show/presenters/scarlette-douglas

only recently has she joined her developer brother and they are now tv presenters.

I'd like to see Annaliese on A Place in the Sun. I think some of the presenters have genuinely been involved in the property business, if not all. As for Craig, I find him quite difficult to watch on that programme. There was one show where he just kept saying to the househunters "How do you feel, how do you feel?" every two minutes. It was really uncomfortable viewing.

Where property is concerned, you really need people who actually know what they're doing. Jonnie Irwin - Surveyor, Martin Roberts & Lucy Alexander a genuine property developers, all are/were excellent presenters because they know their subject. Having box ticking shoo-ins banally asking the same questions like "how do you feel" or "what are your thoughts" is lazy presentation.

I spent many years in estate agency, and showing people around properties I soon learned that those who went ahead and bought, had the gut feeling on entering the property. My stock question would be "would this be suitable for your needs", because generally when viewing a house you don't need some one chanking in your ear while getting your "thoughts" together. They could see that "this is the bedroom,/ kitchen" without being told, so I would let them look around unhindered and be there for any questions.

I also used to work in property and I agree that more sales came from giving the viewer the run of the house to have a look round and then come back with questions if they had any. Those property shows with the young couple with £750,000 budget, he's in IT and she's in marketing, both work from home and are so damn picky you want to shake them. Where does a twenty something couple get all that money anyway?

CC

My thoughts entirely CC. I'm always amazed that anyone under 40 can amass that sort of money, even if they do make a few thou on their current property. You're also right in that its always IT and marketing ! clearly where the best salaries are. There must be huge inputs from Mum and Dad methinks.

Unfortunately those bank of mum and dad who remortgaged to get them on the property ladder are feeling a bit sick with current interest rates.

When we had our first mortgage (16%] it was beans on toast and never out but now it seems to be expected that you can continue to have a full social life and holidays whilst servicing a very large monthly payment. Different world.

Yep, I agree with that. Our mortgage was 10% which we thought was good !! never in our wildest would we have dreamt of anything less than 3%. so when it went up in gradual increments to 16% we moaned but we just sucked it up and got on with it. There was never any cries of "the Government has to help us " . We didn't have mobile phone contracts, streaming services, 2 holidays abroad a year, or changed cars on lease every 3 years. We had an old banger that needed a push start, and held together with duct tape and a prayer, a holiday was planned every other year, and a treat was a night at the pictures or scampi in the basket at the local. oh, and Bank of Mum & Dad - (rolls around laughing) Mum and Dad lived from hand to mouth weekly themselves - Mum joined a Christmas club to pay for gifts so that was a street never on my radar.

Everybody from all walks of life, from the unions to the lace makers association want money from the 'government' - when in reality the help is tax payers money !

My parents never had luxuries and we only had two holidays abroad growing up, and many years none at all to speak of apart from a trip to see relatives by the seaside for a day. They didn't have to worry about buying us tech gear, phones, laptops etc. And when we were teenagers it was easy to get a weekend job, we didn't need unpaid work experience because there were plenty of casual jobs for kids - sol then we could save up for what we wanted. But having said all that my parents generation may have struggled to afford a mortgage in the early days but they were all on a fixed 25-year rate. So they had to worry about employment but not whether the mortgage payment would suddenly explode.

When the then ’we’ were a twenty something couple in 1985, we went to see some grotty flat but with huge potential in Muswell Hill which was up for £60k. I was a police officer and she was a police clerk. £60k eventually seemed unattainable for us when we went into just how much a deposit we would need to even get a mortgage, so we had to go no further. My parents lived in a council flat nearby and didn’t have two halfpennies to rub together, and her parents were divorced, with her father having a new family he long prioritised over her. I can’t remember now exactly, but to get a 90 percent mortgage at around nine percent, we would have needed £6k to put down, I think, and that was just impossible. Plus all the other costs of property purchase on top. We ended up having to move miles from London and getting a one bed cottage you couldn’t swing a Simon Biagi in for £32k. We then got hit by interest rates hitting 15 percent a few years later, in a house worth less than the mortgage and compounded (literally) with a second loan we took out soon after moving in.. Hence, when I see those picky young types on shows like Escape to..and A Haddock in the Sun, helped by thousands from their parents, you may understand I often hope the spiral staircase has been well oiled for them.

I was listening to a financial bod on tv today, and he made mention of "a lot of older people are saying that the interest rate was 15% and they managed, well, houses were much cheaper then ! "

PLONKER ! its all relative, in the mid 70's the potential hubby and myself looked at a 2 bed cottage in the country near where we lived. Back then no-one wanted to live in the country, and the price ? £6,250 - boyfriend earned £30 pw and I was on £15 pw, and nope we couldn't afford it. We went on the council waiting list, and 4 years later got a 2 bed flat which we stayed in for 18 years.

When the then ’we’ were a twenty something couple in 1985, we went to see some grotty flat but with huge potential in Muswell Hill which was up for £60k. I was a police officer and she was a police clerk. £60k eventually seemed unattainable for us when we went into just how much a deposit we would need to even get a mortgage, so we had to go no further. My parents lived in a council flat nearby and didn’t have two halfpennies to rub together, and her parents were divorced, with her father having a new family he long prioritised over her. I can’t remember now exactly, but to get a 90 percent mortgage at around nine percent, we would have needed £6k to put down, I think, and that was just impossible. Plus all the other costs of property purchase on top. We ended up having to move miles from London and getting a one bed cottage you couldn’t swing a Simon Biagi in for £32k. We then got hit by interest rates hitting 15 percent a few years later, in a house worth less than the mortgage and compounded (literally) with a second loan we took out soon after moving in.. Hence, when I see those picky young types on shows like Escape to..and A Haddock in the Sun, helped by thousands from their parents, you may understand I often hope the spiral staircase has been well oiled for them.
Back in the 80's I looked at a semi in Plumstead for around £60K but I couldn't afford it on my wages. I did eventually buy a flat in Eltham but then with the interest rate rises I struggled to pay it and then the flat was worth less than I paid for it with negative equity. I must be on the only person ever that made no money at all on a London property lol. I did get back on the property ladder in Scotland later on and I ended up OK thankfully.

I always think today's younger people starting out all want the 3 bed new build semi with brand new furniture and still have the audi and BMW on the drive with a holiday to Florida. every year No one thinks of starting off in a bedsit in Edinburgh anymore.

CC

Latest posts

Back