Annaliese has she left?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Unfortunately those bank of mum and dad who remortgaged to get them on the property ladder are feeling a bit sick with current interest rates.

When we had our first mortgage (16%] it was beans on toast and never out but now it seems to be expected that you can continue to have a full social life and holidays whilst servicing a very large monthly payment. Different world.
Problem is that with interest rates being so low for so long some people never looked beyond that.

Look at some of the ridiculous house prices over the last few years that’s not sustainable.

Still eat beans on toast now.

Our first big shop when we moved out in rented property was around 16 quid. That over 25 years ago.

1665687639868.jpeg

Unfortunately those bank of mum and dad who remortgaged to get them on the property ladder are feeling a bit sick with current interest rates.

When we had our first mortgage (16%] it was beans on toast and never out but now it seems to be expected that you can continue to have a full social life and holidays whilst servicing a very large monthly payment. Different world.
We only used hubby's salary all the time we had a mortgage. My salary was a bonus, neither of us were particularly highly paid.
We never went out or had holidays abroad for a long time.We saved up for furniture and some things we had were second hand a friend had 2 deckchairs to sit on until they had the money for a suite. Nowadays they seem to want all top of the range products.

We only used hubby's salary all the time we had a mortgage. My salary was a bonus, neither of us were particularly highly paid.
We never went out or had holidays abroad for a long time.We saved up for furniture and some things we had were second hand a friend had 2 deckchairs to sit on until they had the money for a suite. Nowadays they seem to want all top of the range products.
We got married in 1987, we borrowed a sofa from OH's sister as we had to save up for one of our own. Our first Christmas tree, a real one, had 20 small baubles on it from one pack, no lights on it. Although it was very sparse, we loved it. We saved up for everything too, and only bought if we could afford it. We made do. People these days want everything right now, even if they cannot afford it.

Oh! This rings so true with me lol. When I was in London way back when, my friend phoned me and said she'd got a council flat and both of us were just sooooo excited (I was still in the bedsit). Hers was a tower block but it was hers and I ran round and there were the garden chairs in the bare livingroom. I remember cracking open the wine in paper cups sitting on those chairs with absolutely nothing else in the house.

A while later I got my own flat but again it was empty and I had more empty flats along the way but hey, you get there eventually. I'm so very grateful that I now own my house and it's all I could wish for. I really hope today's young people can get on in life.

CC

In my day when you passed your driving test you had an old banger and gradually worked your way up to newer cars. I noticed recently just how many “p” drivers have fairly new cars, another example of wanting everything now.
We have a school near us and you can’t move for brand new cars, usually minis, all with R plates.

LATI they're probably all leased - yet another huge monthly expense, - just to keep up with everyone else. I bought my Toyota RAV4 with 2,000 miles on the clock in 2006. Kept it serviced every year, and its still going strong at just over 100,000 miles.

In my day when you passed your driving test you had an old banger and gradually worked your way up to newer cars. I noticed recently just how many “p” drivers have fairly new cars, another example of wanting everything now.
It’s not only that. Various governments have made it impossible to drive around in older car unless you are very rich enough to pay to get it up to scratch.Emissions health and safety etc.
Hubby always had older cars outside the house and would tinker with them. You cannot do that anymore. He gave up driving in the end.
Son gets a new car every 2 years but he leases it.

Car owners are getting bullied to not drive. I live near central London with very very good connections across London and the rest of the country to be honest. 3 airports a few miles away. Very short journeys on the train or tube. I don't drive I could get a car but cant be bothered. I dont like the fact that after people have invested into buying electric cars they are being penalised even further. Our "woke" local authority have set up heathy streets and are trying to stop deliveries at certain times of the day and not allowing some vehicles into the area. They are saying some children have been killed in car accidents and thats why they are making plans to cut the use of cars and "emmission". Lived here 30 years and dont remember any deaths but I may have missed something so reserve judgement.

To this day I cannot justify a new car. I’ve always had second hand. My latest is a silver beetle who is 22 years old and I adore her. Keeping her for as long as I can.

I also used to work in property and I agree that more sales came from giving the viewer the run of the house to have a look round and then come back with questions if they had any. Those property shows with the young couple with £750,000 budget, he's in IT and she's in marketing, both work from home and are so damn picky you want to shake them. Where does a twenty something couple get all that money anyway?

CC
Mummy & Daddy, obvs!!!!!

We really don’t have public transport worth talking about. I have a free bus and rail pass but I would have to get a taxi to the station which defeats the purpose and the bus stop is a good walk away and the bus goes nowhere you would want to go.

When Mr L stops driving we will be dependent on a taxi. Occasionally I have to take a taxi to work which is only a few miles away but it’s a tenner there and a tenner home which wouldn’t be feasible on a weekly basis.

Latest posts

Back