Are TSV's 'sets' really value for money?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I probably buy 6-10 TSVs a year, almost all beauty. I have a rule, if I use or want to try over half the items in a TSV, I'll buy it, if I only want 1-2 items in a TSV, I'll buy those speicifc items on Ebay a week or so after the TSV. I am very disciplined about always selling the items that I don't want on Ebay. As soon as I recieve my TSV, I take out the items I don't want and put them in my "Ebay" box. As Ebay is usually flooded straight after a TSV, I usually wait a couple of months before selling (but sometimes don't need to, if the item is new and there are lots of peeps wanting to try it) but the items are put in my box and get listed on Ebay at the appropriate time. I find that this makes the TSVs I'm interested in extemely good value.

A few years ago, I went through an extremely lean period financially. That year, my presents for my friends and family came from TSVs, but were only selected items from the TSVs. If the TSV had 5 items, I kept 2 for gifts and sold 3. My average gift spend after what I had recouped from selling on items was under £5 per person, but everyone had lovely items that were still luxurious treats. Yes, it was a faff, and I did start in October but I would do it again should I ever have the misfortune to be in that position again.

Their obsession with giving everything away as gifts annoys me. Debbie Flint is one of the worst for this, you can split this up this way and that way is all we ever hear from her.
Don't we just buy for ourselves anymore, or do we spend all our money on things for other people.

ui I know I don't normally spend a lot on my friends, but even I draw the line at giving them sample sizes as gifts - but equally wouldn't spend over 20 quid on them either !

QVC will use almost any trick in the book to flog their items! That whole: "Give one to a friend" thing annoys me. I don't WANT to give anything away! If I'm going to buy someone a gift, I will buy them something, and not foist a travel-sized bottle of overpriced cherry blossom thoap one someone! I would not be that rude!

I never turn up at someone's house with a L'Occitane bottle if something as s house gift, say if I was going for dinner as I would think it was weird if they did that for me! I would much prefer a bottle of wine. But I have made up little goody bags for christmas gifts for friends and family containing L'Occitane, bits of make up and skincare from TSV's. They always go down well and also the 75 ml bottles from the TSV's make great secret santa gifts as I discovered when my husband was in a panic about being secret santa for one of the secretaries at his work. She was raving about her little bottles of shower gel (I think I gave him 2).

I don't buy beauty TSVs very often simply because I don't use half the stuff in them. The whole point of these TSVs is for the brand to hook you in to buying more and more products. I am a big fan of PCMC and I have bought the kits in the past. So much so that I thought my favourite body lotion was the Elemis Milk Bath. Granted I love the smell of it but when I made myself use up every lotion and potion I had ever bought I realised it actually wasn't my favourite body lotion at all! I prefer one that is £2.99 from the supermarket. I still like the milk bath but its not the best. And I'd been buying the damned stuff for years!

Now I only buy what I want/need. If I do buy a kit then it has to be cheaper than buying the bits I do use separately. And if you take out the value of three things you don't use then the kits are rarely cost effective.

Hey Tink did you go for that 100 ml PCMC with the posh lid the other day? Not sure but I think it wss on an event price. Thought of you when I saw it!

Latest posts

Back