Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick - any good?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Many love them. BUT, be careful after a certain age they don't look good. They always go on about it being used as a blush but again, you can end up looking like the tin man. You have seen AY with the shiny shiny shiny cheeks, that is shimmerbrick. I always thought the Smashbox Softlights better not so much shimmer and much easier to wear.

As an old wrinkly and porey, I couldn't agree more, did not suit me at all, looked very unnatural, altho it seems to look good on a young skin.

Hmmm I don't think I will get one after all - I just got Chanel's new Illuminating face base and that suits me fine (I treated myself with my Debenhams points!) - all dewy and no shine - amazing!! I'm really pleased with it. Also there's no BB counter near me so it would be a no-try buy!!! It's good to read all these comments, I think this would be too shiny for me. I have a MAC mineralise blusher and that's about as shiny as I want to go.....

the very worst makeup buys for me are buying cosmetic tsv kits. they dont match up to buying a quality brand that you have tried and tested. for me mally,smashbox and laura geller makeup bases are a big no no. i am better off using the £40+ and buying one or two excellent quality make up purchases that work for you. i hate having a makeup stash it means i have spent way too much on stuff that i dont really use or like. i sent back all the above but kept a mally try me but in hidsight i should really have retuned that as well.

i have thought about the shimmer brick myself thinking it would be ok for hols to use for cheeks / highlights and eyes but haven't taken the plunge yet. I do like my LG ethereal rose for the cheeks part though.

the very worst makeup buys for me are buying cosmetic tsv kits. they dont match up to buying a quality brand that you have tried and tested. for me mally,smashbox and laura geller makeup bases are a big no no. i am better off using the £40+ and buying one or two excellent quality make up purchases that work for you. i hate having a makeup stash it means i have spent way too much on stuff that i dont really use or like. i sent back all the above but kept a mally try me but in hidsight i should really have retuned that as well.

I do that too - spend £40 and think i am getting a bargain cos I am getting 5 products instead of one or two - but then only want one of them which would have cost £20. The others end up in the drawer as part of the 'stash'. The thing is I think I have SAVED money!!!

I do that too - spend £40 and think i am getting a bargain cos I am getting 5 products instead of one or two - but then only want one of them which would have cost £20. The others end up in the drawer as part of the 'stash'. The thing is I think I have SAVED money!!![/QUOTE

looking on the positive though rosey you can try a new brand out for 30 days and you have lost in total say a £5 in postage costs . i have found out that i love laura geller blushers and the spakle so all is not lost. but the hype is really ott on qvc. i have been caught out loads of times lol

Boffy & Rosey, you are spot on there. I was so tempted by the recent Mally TSV. The price looked good but I was afraid it would be too yellow for me. I'm Fairly Light in BE.

I need some longwear foundation and I'm a bit fed up of my Bare Escentuals as it seems to get shiney and slide off my face. I have the mineral veil somewhere around which is supposed to mattify, but I'd rather just one long lasting product. I've tried a sample of the Lancome Teint Idole 24h in 010 and that seems good. And I'm going to check out Estee Lauder's Double Wear. If anyone has any recommendations, please feel free to send them my way.

I don't think it has anything to do with age - more with application. If you can get to a store the assistant will show you how to use it on YOU.

You have to use it VERY sparingly if you put too much you can look shiny. A tiny amount gives a lovely healthy looking glow.

If I find I have been a bit heavy handed I just put a bit of Bare Minerals Foundation over the top to tone it down a little.

Boffy & Rosey, you are spot on there. I was so tempted by the recent Mally TSV. The price looked good but I was afraid it would be too yellow for me. I'm Fairly Light in BE.

I need some longwear foundation and I'm a bit fed up of my Bare Escentuals as it seems to get shiney and slide off my face. I have the mineral veil somewhere around which is supposed to mattify, but I'd rather just one long lasting product. I've tried a sample of the Lancome Teint Idole 24h in 010 and that seems good. And I'm going to check out Estee Lauder's Double Wear. If anyone has any recommendations, please feel free to send them my way.

Mac do a lovely foundation,Full Coverage & it does exactly as it says on the tin,gives really good coverage.
It's best applied with a damp sponge & on top of freshly moisturised skin or it can go a bit chalky,but it lasts for hours & covers all imperfections & is lovely & dewy.
I don't wear it every day but when I feel the need for an extra bit of cover or else I use it as a concealer.

Not sure if it's so readily available though,I can only get it in Brown Thomas Mac concession which is huge but it's not sold in two other Mac concessions here in Dublin.

Mac do a lovely foundation,Full Coverage & it does exactly as it says on the tin,gives really good coverage.
It's best applied with a damp sponge & on top of freshly moisturised skin or it can go a bit chalky,but it lasts for hours & covers all imperfections & is lovely & dewy.
I don't wear it every day but when I feel the need for an extra bit of cover or else I use it as a concealer.

Not sure if it's so readily available though,I can only get it in Brown Thomas Mac concession which is huge but it's not sold in two other Mac concessions here in Dublin.

i agree marzy mac foundation and concealers are fantastic. i tried laura geller balance and brighten and the texture and colour did not suit me .likewise with mally texture and colour not for me. i now own the mineralise powder and everyone comments on how good it looks. it cost £22.50 but its worth it as i use it nearly everyday. mac's select concealer is very ,very good and lasts forever. goes on like beautiful skin,soft dewy but does a good job in concealing. mally's were just tooo thick and chalky a bit old fashioned for me. but love watching her shows..

I don't think it has anything to do with age - more with application. If you can get to a store the assistant will show you how to use it on YOU.

You have to use it VERY sparingly if you put too much you can look shiny. A tiny amount gives a lovely healthy looking glow.

If I find I have been a bit heavy handed I just put a bit of Bare Minerals Foundation over the top to tone it down a little.

I agree Rosey, if you go mad and swirl them all over they look shiny, I brush a light amount (mix of all shades) over my eyelids and on the top of my cheeks, it makes me look like I've woken up and warms up my very pale skin. I like Pink Quartz and Rose. The best is Apricot but I can't get that one from QVC.

The only problem is that when they get to the end they get very crumbly and I put them in a pot to avoid messing up my dressing table!

Thanks Marzy & Boffy for the Mac recommendation. It sounds promising so I will go and hunt it out, along with some other items suggested to me in The Drop on the Health & Beauty thread.

Nothing to do with age at all, my mum loves her shimmer bricks, she treated herself to the new rose gold one today!!

Latest posts

Back