Butler & Wilson TSV 07/11/14

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I think a local shop near me must buy from Ali because they sell masses of stuff which is identical to BW. Most of it costs less than a tenner. As for tonight`s tsv, well it`s horrible.

Simon doesn't seem the Simon from the past shows in his sales pitch tonight - its as if he knows theres a rumble in the jungle

He might be worried of his sales since the sharp eyed ST's members :mysmilie_3:shouted out about Alibaba. I doubt very much he will need to worry. There are many people with more money than sense ready to throw their hard-earned at him, just because they are B&W collectors, in the same league as the T-callers who belong to 'oh I have 230 of your bags' or '90 pairs of your shoes' club

I wonder where the hell they store it all !!

If you're wondering what brooch Simon was referring to regarding Panda Christmas tree... here it is
$1 per brooch

And if you really want to go crazy.. most accept 1 item purchase, shipped to your door as a sample 'to check quality'
HERE

Last edited:
I know B+W is a popular jewellery range, but I find it abhorrently cheap and tacky looking. Just my opinion. I am sure anyone who loves it, couldn't care less what I think, and neither should they. Each to their own.

Simon doesn't seem the Simon from the past shows in his sales pitch tonight - its as if he knows theres a rumble in the jungle

He might be worried of his sales since the sharp eyed ST's members :mysmilie_3:shouted out about Alibaba. I doubt very much he will need to worry. There are many people with more money than sense ready to throw their hard-earned at him, just because they are B&W collectors, in the same league as the T-callers who belong to 'oh I have 230 of your bags' or '90 pairs of your shoes' club

I wonder where the hell they store it all !!

If you're wondering what brooch Simon was referring to regarding Panda Christmas tree... here it is
$1 per brooch

And if you really want to go crazy.. most accept 1 item purchase, shipped to your door as a sample 'to check quality'
HERE

These links never work for me, they just take me to the homepage :-( Anyone else get that?

However, look what I spotted there!! (Hopes link works!)

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1878127494.html

About 18 years ago, my then fiancé and I both requested a design to Simon, I asked for the possibility of a boxer dog, and he a Freddie mercury type piece, He never even acknowledged our contact. I can understand that what may seem straightforward to you and I, to a designer, mat be too intricate or even impossible. I did think it exhibited a lack of customer care on is, or his staff's, part. I don't even bother with his shows. He is always doing scottie dogs but, as I am sure I am not alone in wanting a piece depicting my breed of dog, and we don't all have scottie dogs or cats, I would have thought pleasing ALL potential customers, would be paramount. When he first started appearing on QVC, the jewellery did seem to be of a higher quality and more exclusive, you felt you were getting a piece which would, in time, be worth money. My fiancé bought me a Donald duck brooch but, although I did like it, £100 seemed extortionate to me, so I returned it. Silly me - it would have increased in value considerably by now. The same cannot be said, imo, for pieces bought today. For a guy who started off dealing in antique jewellery, I cannot understand the descent into cheap tat fashion stuff. Probably because it sells in greater volume and, consequently, is more of a cash cow for him.

Thanks to all for the heads up about alibaba, which will surely have more of my custom in future, but I feel quite lonely tonight because I've gone for the rose gold TSV and I'm not normally a B&W person. Is there anyone else out there?

Wow .Its all there on Ali Baba.

Not a huge B and W fan only because i dont wear a lot of jewellery,but used to enjoy watching the shows some years back when the items seemed more glamourous and better made.

It's a real eye opener reading some of these threads.

Does Simon even design the items because some weeks back he told the presenter he couldn't draw or sketch which I thought was a bit strange for a designer.

He's not a designer, well no more than you or me. Louise hit the nail on the head, reminding us he started as an antiques dealer, now he's an antique dealing in fashion jewellery (sourced at Ali Baba prices no doubt).

I don't personally like the TSV, it looks like the typical cheap, mass produced, item general brought out for a TSV and not the normal 'collectable' quality. I agree with other postings it looks very Bibi Bixou and they would do very much better. I used to love Simon but have not bought or watched shows for ages because he has gone down the cheap and tacky route and money seems to be the driver and I can't see many of the newer items being collectable. £30 is a lot for something that won't get a lot of wear, you are probably better off going to the local market and not many will tell the difference.

Don't think I ever liked or bought any Butler & Wilson stuff in the many years I have been watching QVC. It just isn't my style.

Wasn't it the "Butler" who was the designer of the 2 of them? Some of their vintage stuff is lovely but still not my style though.

Yep Nicky Butler's range of silver & gemstone jewellery sells on US shopping telly, I have a couple of smaller pieces and it's lovely imo, similar to the Treasure of India range they used to sell on QVC UK.

I've just had a look on the Alibaba site and can't believe the prices. I've seen a couple of things that I like (not just B&W).

Can I be cheeky and ask how you go about ordering just 1 piece (not quite sure what questions to ask)

Thanks in advance

I believe you need an account as its like a Chinese eBay,some of the items you have to order in Bulk,delivery is normally very good too.
Lynn

I don't personally like the TSV, it looks like the typical cheap, mass produced, item general brought out for a TSV and not the normal 'collectable' quality. I agree with other postings it looks very Bibi Bixou and they would do very much better. I used to love Simon but have not bought or watched shows for ages because he has gone down the cheap and tacky route and money seems to be the driver and I can't see many of the newer items being collectable. £30 is a lot for something that won't get a lot of wear, you are probably better off going to the local market and not many will tell the difference.

I remember a thread not so long ago about Yong Kim where everyone who criticized the brand and the item was labelled insensitive because they were upsetting whoever had bought it.

I'm not in the least bit upset if nobody else likes it here (it's practically sold out, though) or thinks it's market tat, but let's not have double standards.

I love this and will wear it quite happily, so it will be money well spent, but let me also feel free to criticize anything I or anyone else doesn't like (eg Yong Kim) without being accused of upsetting sensitive people who will lose confidence if they're accused of wearing market tat. Which, in Yong Kim's case, they often will be.

And don't accuse me of not having seen the Yong Kim stuff, either, because nobody here has yet got the TSV and are voicing their opinions quite happily!!!

I didn't go for the TSV (mainly because the colour i would have gone for had sold out by the time i had chance for a proper look), but ordered a few B&W items ready for christmas gifts for my son, the skeleton motorbike brooch being one of them.

I've just had a look on the Alibaba site and can't believe the prices. I've seen a couple of things that I like (not just B&W).

Can I be cheeky and ask how you go about ordering just 1 piece (not quite sure what questions to ask)

Thanks in advance

No probs Fuzzy, its quite easy really. Anyone can join by signing up. However, Alibaba is not as 'safe' as Ebay, so making transactions via Paypal is vital - which most traders on Ali dislike because of the 5% fee. Also it is tricky to find traders who are happy to do a one piece order '1 pcs' MQO (MINIMUM QUANTITY ORDER) is usually 50 plus

Please dont be tempted to use Western Union/TT as methods of payment etc because this is a cash method, picked up by an agent in China, and sometimes they dont send goods, and there is no back up.

So, to sum up, select suppliers that are verified, gold traders, and no harm asking if they will accept a MQO of 1 piece, which they might honour.

You might be surprised though, a seach for, lets say, a crystal charm bracelet on Alibaba & Ebay might produce the same result, with th same seller in China

Oh and finally, don't forget shipping time may be a lot longer, and there may be import duty to product, which in my case, literally doubled the price of items, courtesy of Her Majesty, when my jewelery items landed in our lovely country. :O)

Good luck

Last edited:
I remember a thread not so long ago about Yong Kim where everyone who criticized the brand and the item was labelled insensitive because they were upsetting whoever had bought it.

I'm not in the least bit upset if nobody else likes it here (it's practically sold out, though) or thinks it's market tat, but let's not have double standards.

I love this and will wear it quite happily, so it will be money well spent, but let me also feel free to criticize anything I or anyone else doesn't like (eg Yong Kim) without being accused of upsetting sensitive people who will lose confidence if they're accused of wearing market tat. Which, in Yong Kim's case, they often will be.

And don't accuse me of not having seen the Yong Kim stuff, either, because nobody here has yet got the TSV and are voicing their opinions quite happily!!!

Brilliant post. Thank you thatu.

Latest posts

Back