Cathy Kangas.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I support 100% what Prai as a company's ethics are, regarding the way in which the skincare is formulated, and their support for animal welfare. Although I knew this anyway, I admired Cathy for not being afraid to voice her concerns about animal testing, confirming they do not test on animals and do not sell in China. Be aware, she added, that if you buy products which are sold in China, you are animal testing, a horrible truth which many of us already know. This is why I no longer use l'occitane. Claire, unsurprisingly, kept schtum. Despite being a busiinesswoman, she has an innate moral fibre which must be adhered to, regarding the handling of her skincare range. How refreshing is it, to be reassured there are still those to whom moral beliefs are more important than profit, and are not afraid to publicly say so. Of course she is not running this as a charity, although she is involved heavily in charity work regarding animal concern. I think she is taking the view that she will give us the plain facts, and if the powers that be don't like it, tough.
Well done, Cathy. Carry on the good work. The dogs/animals need people like you.
Wonder if the Q will 'talk to her' about it?

Just to add, she a pleasant jolly person to have a chat with, having met her a couple of times at NewYearNewYou and Beauty Bashes. Great sense of humour and genuinely listened to customers. Even though she acknowledged her range isn't aimed at my 18 year old daughter she chatted about make up and made sure she got one of the sequinned bags they were handing out (about half an hour after the session should have ended and the QVC staff were trying to shoo us out of the building). Cordelia was lovely too.
I quite like the Prai range, esp the neck creme (BPOTM this month).

I have never been to a beauty bash, I can only assume they're held in London and that's why, as it's not so easy for me to make that trip now, whereas up to about 3 years ago, I'd have flown down - not specifically for the beauty bash events I hasten to add, but if I was there and it was on, or I was invited as I'm not sure how these events work, I'd have gone along time permitting.

I think these days people have talked about are aimed more at people who are either in or can get easily to London.

They sold tickets to this year's Beauty Bash as well as offering free places. I assume these are based on purchase history (tho they claim it's random) as there are always some notable ebay sellers at these events.

I'm only 90 minutes from London but like a fine wine, I don't travel well; the goody bags' contents pretty well cover the cost of a train ticket and it's usually a jolly day out. People I've chatted to from further afield have made a trip of it and booked a hotel and maybe a show or more shopping so if you know you'll be around London for the next Beauty Bash I'd recommend it. If I still lived in Lancashire I'm not sure I'd travel down just for the BB; it's a shame they don't do a road-show with venues around the UK (incl. NI) but it'd be a nightmare co-ordinating all the different vendors to travel around the British Isles for a series of dates.

People travel from all over to get to the BB. Some stay in hotels overnight. The freebies are an insentive for people to make the trip.

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell of it moving out of London. People like Q think the world stops at London so they will never go to the provinces even if the vendors were willing.

It is exactly the same in Belfast albeit on a minuscule scale to Londoners.

Just to add, she a pleasant jolly person to have a chat with, having met her a couple of times at NewYearNewYou and Beauty Bashes. Great sense of humour and genuinely listened to customers. Even though she acknowledged her range isn't aimed at my 18 year old daughter she chatted about make up and made sure she got one of the sequinned bags they were handing out (about half an hour after the session should have ended and the QVC staff were trying to shoo us out of the building). Cordelia was lovely too.
I quite like the Prai range, esp the neck creme (BPOTM this month).

Thanks for that, Jude, I haven't tried the neck cream yet and an out of it completely. I have uber sensitive skin, do you think I could give it a go? - obviously, I know this would just be your opinion.

Can anyone recall when the last Prai tsv was, what it was and the tsv price and item number, please?

My face is tough as old boots but with a couple of neck products I've tried I've had a rashy reaction on my neck - the Gatineau one f'rinstance I couldn't use on my neck but could use it on my face! I'd give the Prai one a whirl while it's on free p&p, then you can patch test and if that goes ok try it for your 30 day MBG. I should be on commission! Even if you send it back you'll only have lost the return postage without having to rely on the Distance Selling Regs. I definitely should be on commission!

cathy and cordelia are darlings lovely ladies. thoroughly enjoyed the beauty bash. still have not used much of the freebies yet.

I love to watch Cathy's shows when she's on over here, as I am a great admirer of hers. She is in a position personally through those she knows, and financially to really make a difference, and a voice to be heard in connection with all the horrendous things done to animals.

I spent the past few days having a huge wake up call. I have never knowingly used any product which has been tested on animals - or so I thought.
I went to the Humane Society and various others who are against cruelty and testing on animals, where you can see a list of the companies who still do this barbaric thing - well what a shock i got, all this time thinking 'we do not test on animals' I was misled as my favourite cosmetics are in fact all tested on animals and also sold in China.

To tell you the truth when I discovered this, I actually broke down in tears, this is something that must be stopped. I'm a great believer in people power - all of these big companies make their money from all of us, and I have already today written letters to five of the big companies telling them I will never buy from them again, and what's more any remaining products I had (meaning a lot of money spent too) had been thrown in the bin by me over the past 2 days. I await their reply which I will pass to PETA and the Humane Society - to name but two.

Now, I'm trying to find out which makeup brands I can purchase in the safe knowledge that they do not test on animals.

I went on to the QVC USA site this afternoon - would you believe, PRAI is not sold there, I wonder why!

I love to watch Cathy's shows when she's on over here, as I am a great admirer of hers. She is in a position personally through those she knows, and financially to really make a difference, and a voice to be heard in connection with all the horrendous things done to animals.

I spent the past few days having a huge wake up call. I have never knowingly used any product which has been tested on animals - or so I thought.
I went to the Humane Society and various others who are against cruelty and testing on animals, where you can see a list of the companies who still do this barbaric thing - well what a shock i got, all this time thinking 'we do not test on animals' I was misled as my favourite cosmetics are in fact all tested on animals and also sold in China.

To tell you the truth when I discovered this, I actually broke down in tears, this is something that must be stopped. I'm a great believer in people power - all of these big companies make their money from all of us, and I have already today written letters to five of the big companies telling them I will never buy from them again, and what's more any remaining products I had (meaning a lot of money spent too) had been thrown in the bin by me over the past 2 days. I await their reply which I will pass to PETA and the Humane Society - to name but two.

Now, I'm trying to find out which makeup brands I can purchase in the safe knowledge that they do not test on animals.

I went on to the QVC USA site this afternoon - would you believe, PRAI is not sold there, I wonder why!

Good for you. I am also in contact with PETA regarding companies which perform animal testing. They informed me that, if a company has not signed PETA's statement , I need to ask them certain questions. As the company I was inquiring about was SBC, I did exactly that and, surprise surprise, have heard nothing. I have left the matter with PETA and will not be buying any SBC products until their stance on animal testing not being undertaken by them or a third party, is confirmed. You used the products, in the belief and because they were not tested on animals. The fact that it turned out not to be the case was quite simply not your fault. I can understand your horror and disgust at finding this out. Another brand which I loved, Judith Williams, is now a non purchase for me, because they sell in China, same with l'occitane. To be fair, there are also valid reasons why companies do not sign the statement, such as cost. If a company states that it does not participate in animal testing and that their products are cruelty free, and is found to be lying, they are financially penalised. PETA works hard to root these companies out.
We need more people like Cathy.

I wish there was more we could do, so that one day it stops.

Shurely, if enough of us wrote to them they would stop. I am also writing to QVC because they are promoting these companies.

cathy and cordelia are darlings lovely ladies. thoroughly enjoyed the beauty bash. still have not used much of the freebies yet.
I haven't touched my freebees at all only the 2.5 ml bottle when we had all the hype after New Year I tried it, EFG I think it was called

This is a good link too http://features.peta.org/cruelty-fr...t=0&Dotest=8&Regchange=-1&Country=-1&Keyword= It gives you a list of all the animal testing companies. Lots of my favourites on there! Benefit, Bobbi Brown, Gatineau, and many many more! Going to educate myself more in the next few days and make some big changes.

Here is another good link http://www.peta.org/living/beauty/order-cruelty-free-shopping-guide/ it is a contact form to fill in on PETA site and they will send you a free cruelty free shopping guide to help you make better choices when shopping.

Last edited:
I am in two minds about her statement. I am all for abolishing animal testing but to state her stance about
L'Occ on Q, when she knew it would make the presenter uncomfortable, was not the right forum. Q, I think, will certainly speak to her. Q is not a soapbox to bash other brands. Going into a department store you make your choice which counter to go to, Q is no different. We have to do our own in depth research to make us feel happy and comfortable with the purchases we make, we have experienced and discussed the animal testing ambiguous declarations and just because Cathy's creams are not tested on animals does not make them any more suitable for my skin any more than Gatineau and Decleor.

Latest posts

Back