Cease and Desist

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I caught Alison Old the other day flogging some sort of cosmetic item. Lipstick? God knows? Anyway, she was just on very briefly in the background, and then as Peter Simon would say, I had a prick up my ears when I heard her come out with ‘Any Gender’. Any gender?? Do they do this on bras and dresses, too, now? This is inclusiveness gone mad? Their core sales market (do they understand this?) I suspect is middle aged to elderly women who sit comfortably with the view that cosmetics shows are for primarily for WOMEN…The channel is on some mad politically correct journey that is alienating many of the very many buyers who keep it going. They don’t want to hear it constantly banged home to them and implied that this eye shadow can also be worn by a man, a transsexual, a them, a not too sure, oh..and finally that tired old gender throwback..a WOMAN…To me, that’s what they so strongly suggest with this ridiculous ‘any gender’ guff. Who is actually driving this I don’t know? A new right on staff appointment? Do QVC Germany do it? QVC America, or is it particular to here only? When their audience is 90% transsexual then go for this tactic but then switch to ‘Even Women’ instead of ‘Any Gender‘.

Totally agree with you Duke, she's becoming a laughing stock imo. I always thought she had integrity but that's long gone. Together with her "any gender" crap (repeated over and over) she'll flog any old rubbish put in front of her these days. Qualified beauty expert no longer works for me (as Glen Campbell would say!).

The interesting thing for me is wondering if she is being TOLD to do this, or is it something driven and prompted by her alone? To be honest, she never previously struck me as particularly PC, so why the change in her now? You only have to look at QVC’s ads in general to see the journey they are on, with same sex couples cuddling up on sofas, and mixed race/black heterosexual ones portraying the good life in posh homes. Now…there is absolutely nothing wrong in being a same sex couple or a mixed race one, a well-heeled black family or an ‘any gender’ person. But the reality is the majority of couples in this country are male and female, and not black and white. And lots of black families are not living in mansions. Least, that’s the evidence I see from walking and driving through the busy city centre streets of this country.

Like so many other mainstream advertising agencies, commercials are being made in overwhelming numbers these days to drive an agenda that is not reflective of reality. But instead, as aspirational tools to show what the makers think society ‘should’ be. QVC is totally caught up in this relentless campaign of social change engineering through positive visual stereotypes ads and language. You either embrace it or you hate it. I don’t think a middle ground exists on the issue.

To add insult to injury with the constant "any gender" sales patter being thrown around, I'm sure I saw a bag with "Being a WOMAN is my Superpower" printed on it a few days ago. Don't you know how controversial that word is these days, Q? I'm surprised you've not had sackfuls of complaints yet.

Make your mind up. You're flopping around trying to appeal to a minuscule (but admittedly vociferous) group but offending many of the customers who spend the most with you - you know, the ones named on that bag you're selling.
When it comes to QVC it seems that it's only ok to be a woman if you're going through the menopause, but anywhere else it's a dirty word. FGS you can encompass as many "genders" as you like by using the word "everyone" - inclusive and offends no one. A couple of nights ago I heard AY say this is good for " all genders". A few years ago she would've said "both genders". I don't mind "any" gender so much eg. "This would suit any age, any gender" yes, ok whereas "this would suit all ages and all genders" - er no!
Like I said before if you really want to appeal to "all genders" get off the woke bandwagon and actually do something constructive for them. Tbh words like transgender, non-binary, even "cross dresser" would at least acknowledge. They're not swear words, nor is the word "woman". The term "all genders" is a cheap cop out!

When it comes to QVC it seems that it's only ok to be a woman if you're going through the menopause, but anywhere else it's a dirty word. FGS you can encompass as many "genders" as you like by using the word "everyone" - inclusive and offends no one. A couple of nights ago I heard AY say this is good for " all genders". A few years ago she would've said "both genders". I don't mind "any" gender so much eg. "This would suit any age, any gender" yes, ok whereas "this would suit all ages and all genders" - er no!
Like I said before if you really want to appeal to "all genders" get off the woke bandwagon and actually do something constructive for them. Tbh words like transgender, non-binary, even "cross dresser" would at least acknowledge. They're not swear words, nor is the word "woman". The term "all genders" is a cheap cop out!
'Both genders' is grammatically correct. 'Any gender' is not correct since there are only two genders. This sounds school marmish, I know and I apologise to anyone whose nose it might get up!

'Both genders' is grammatically correct. 'Any gender' is not correct since there are only two genders. This sounds school marmish, I know and I apologise to anyone whose nose it might get up!
You're alright but I wasn't thinking about the grammar. It was more what was being said. Imo "all genders" suggests a long list, whereas "any gender" doesn't so much. At least they haven't started encompassing the needs of those who identify as cats (other pets are available)!

The interesting thing for me is wondering if she is being TOLD to do this, or is it something driven and prompted by her alone? To be honest, she never previously struck me as particularly PC, so why the change in her now? You only have to look at QVC’s ads in general to see the journey they are on, with same sex couples cuddling up on sofas, and mixed race/black heterosexual ones portraying the good life in posh homes. Now…there is absolutely nothing wrong in being a same sex couple or a mixed race one, a well-heeled black family or an ‘any gender’ person. But the reality is the majority of couples in this country are male and female, and not black and white. And lots of black families are not living in mansions. Least, that’s the evidence I see from walking and driving through the busy city centre streets of this country.

Like so many other mainstream advertising agencies, commercials are being made in overwhelming numbers these days to drive an agenda that is not reflective of reality. But instead, as aspirational tools to show what the makers think society ‘should’ be. QVC is totally caught up in this relentless campaign of social change engineering through positive visual stereotypes ads and language. You either embrace it or you hate it. I don’t think a middle ground exists on the issue.

I don't like QVC's promos using public displays of affection to highlight their inclusiveness. The two women searching deeply into each others eyes look like mother and daughter to me or sisters. A bit disturbing. And the young man frolicking on the bed with his 'significant other' looks like he's feeling up one of her breasts. Straight laced? Maybe I am.

How pathetic! Talk about trying to cover all bases when trying to get a sale and in doing so make yourself look like a total moron!
" Look at us we appeal to everyone" pathetic woman!!
I honestly thought I was the only one who noticed, that is if you mean " for you for you for you" woman ?

I’m afraid that sort of talk turns me off. I’m exasperated with the whole gender thing so she won’t be selling anything to me.
And don't forget our Afro-Cariban menopause viewers. I do wish they would stop trying to box tick on items

And as a wheel chair user, I have not been included yet ( offended) please add " this molton brown is ideal for our wheel chair users and i will no longer feel excluded.

Omg she's at it again, it's like she thinks that she will sound super with it to say things like " perfect for Civil partners, .multi racial, all gendered, afro Caribbean, same sex, multi regional customers. Perfect for you " for you for you for you " how many times can she say "for you" in a show, once you notice it, you can't in hear it! The guy with the big forehead who used to be her right-hand man until he went alone also overuses" for you" in places it doesn't fit. Rant over, just wish she would settle at home with her horses and give my ears a rest from her beauty qualified in the industry for over 20 years, voice!

If Q really wanted to make a difference to the lives of the transgender community they could do a ****** sight better than paying lip service to them with nothing more than words. How about sourcing footwear that goes up to a size 12, recommending cosmetics that are good at playing down masculine features, wigs even, transgender models. If they're going to acknowledge these people, then they should go all out and do it and not insult them by suggesting that a Kim jumpsuit, a face gloop and a pair of Diamonique earrings are suitable for all genders, and even more than that don't insult women in the process by correcting other presenters for using traditionally female terminology eg, bridesmaid.
Bandwagon well and truly jumped on but the way it stands they are pi$$ing off more people than they're pleasing!
Never seen anything so well put! Qvc are about sales, not actually including. If they wanted to include me for example, I am a male but adore some of the more feminine jewelry but can I buy a size W ring, no....maybe even that might make what they say, have more credibility. It's all just words to sound inclusive but unfortunately, I have never felt less included with qvc

Latest posts

Back