Compulsory Plus Size Models

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

daydreamer

Registered Shopper
After watching a bit of Kim & co this morning , I have come to the conclusion that shopping channels MUST show all garments, that have up to 3xl in their line up, worn by ordinary 3xl women :happy: Seeing Sharon floating around looking stunning in her Kim and co trousers I get the illusion that is how I would look, no way Pedro :blush: Reality kicks in, comes down to earth, would look awful on me, same as the Joan Rivers jacket the other day, what would I look like from behind in a size xl with that tu-tu flare out emphasizing my butt :wonder:...need to see items on lumpy-bumpy peeps!

daydreamer

yes it's about time that the older/larger ( not necessarily both at the same time) are recognised as existing in this country.At least QVC do feature larger models.I often, when watching fashion slots on TV think that if you are over 25 and larger than size 12 you don't exist.They sing the praises of the British High Street but do you really think it caters for all?, I don't!!!

i totally agree, it is so easy for the companies to get plus sized and older models. i personally believe they would sell more not less if we could see people that look like us in the clothes. i know i limit myself to only certain things because of what i think i would look like in them and i am sure that other things would suit me but sometimes i am unwilling to take the chance.

Also shorter models, and some "dumpy" ones. It's so difficult to visualise when the garment is on a 5 foot ten model.

Also shorter models, and some "dumpy" ones. It's so difficult to visualise when the garment is on a 5 foot ten model.

Absolutely! It's all very well Kim placing herself next to the tall models to demonstrate that she is shorter but I am a comfortably built (14-16) , exact 5 feet,
Actually, as far as Kim's are concerned, I do know what will suit me after 14 years of buying. However, when they had the couple of shows when QVC shoppers were in the studio, all dressed in Kim some ** wonders how to put this tactfully ** didn't show the clothes to their best advantage and it would have put me off.....just because something pulls over your head and can be arranged round your body, doesn't mean it will automatically look good. Walk down any high street and you do wonder if some people have full-length mirrors, though it's possible they just don't care and properly fitting clothes are not a priority....

Last edited:
I switched on the radio last week to hear the line in the afternoon play or some such "you don't half see some fat birds in leggings round Exeter" ... which out of context it made me laugh out loud!

The trouble is that models never ever look like the rest of us no matter what their size. Flipping Joy looks gobsmacking in pretty much everything and often better than the slimmer girls. Joy is an 18 or thereabouts. Most size 18s don't look like Joy. And I do have to question whether the very lovely joy could get her boobs in a standard size 18 anyway. That's not a criticism of her at all, she's lovely.

Totally agree with you daydreamer: one smaller model for the smaller sizes and a larger model for the larger sizes should be compulsory, given the range of sizes and the fact that people want to genuinely have an ideal how the clothes are going to look on.

not all of the models on qvc are tall. the blonde one that also models for laura geller(she is in the new trailer for the get gorgeous stuff) is quite short. the dress i like is past her knee on the video but it is only 85cm long (qvc finally got their finger out and put in more info lol)

I just watch the fashion for a laugh mostly, but agree that seeing it all worn by models does not show how it would look on mere mortals. Sharon could make nearly anything look good, when she looks less than good in some of the creations that's when I know it is beyond vile. Is Kim back again? not been watching today, surely she was only dominating the schedule a few weeks ago

I don't like the use of the phrase "plus size". Isn't the UK average women's size now 16-18?

And poor Joy is always being introduced as "Here'sJoyourplussizedmodel", and never by her name only. QVC have Joy on to show that they're inclusive, but then they label her and not the other models.

I dread to think what QVC would do if they introduced petite models ("Here'sEmmaourfreakishdwarfmodel"), or more mature ones ("Here'sDorisshe'slivedthrough3worldwarsandtheFallofMafekingyouknow!").

Last edited:
i would also like to add that us larger ladies [ some of mine in old age spread ]...somehow designers seem to think that once you go up to xl + then you suddenly frow giantormously long arns....why???? also why do we also get somehow MUCH larger in leg length + from the crutch to waistband makes me look like a simon cowell cast off....lol.......& i think joy looks lovely too

i dont mind the term 'plus sized' but then again that is prolly cos my brain translates it automatically into 'normal' lol most + sized models are a 14 up to an 18 so basically me on good and bad days lol

i would also like to add that us larger ladies [ some of mine in old age spread ]...somehow designers seem to think that once you go up to xl + then you suddenly frow giantormously long arns....why???? also why do we also get somehow MUCH larger in leg length + from the crutch to waistband makes me look like a simon cowell cast off....lol.......& i think joy looks lovely too

I've noticed in many US department stores that their "petits" dept stock the same designs as the "normal" sections and run from a tiny size zero upto double/triple XL. All sizes are tailored to fit the shorter woman (sleeves, neckline, skirt/trouser lengths etc). So it's possible to find a reasonable range of clothes to suit larger but shorter ladies.

Latest posts

Back