Dannii Minogue Fashion TSV 27/06/22

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I needed some shorts for holidays later this year. The only ones I liked were in Next at £20 a pair. Gulp.

I tried on two pairs the same size one was a bit big and the other was too tight. Ridiculous.
I had a similar problem in Marks a few years ago. 2 pairs of T shirt bras ,same size and cup size,in the same pack one was ok the other was way too small.
I once had a temp job doing quality control checks on t-shirts and there was an allowable variance on the measurements for each size. I had never realised.
Now I will take 2 of the same size into a changing room to try.
Also a garment in black will always be tighter than one in another colour. That's to do with the way the fabric reacts to the dye, I believe. I have found it to be true with bras and jeans.

I just got 9 bras for £18 from Groupon, the ahh bra type. Wouldn't do if you are heavy busted but they aren't bad. I agree the black one is tighter than the rest.

Sizes are weird. I'm an 8/10 at M&S and a 14 in Next, a 16 in New Look!! No way am I a size 16. On Q I can go from an XS (if stretch fabric) to a L if it's cotton/linen.

CC

Depending on brand I can fit into anything between an 18 and 22. HOWEVER, if its catalogue clothing I'm a size 26 !!! BUT when you see the actual garment there is no way a proper size 26 would fit into it. It has to be this size for armhole fit, anything less would be too tight.

As for bras, I loathe buying them. Cheaper ones have no support between the cup underarm and the back fastening, so they have to be expensive to get the tight elastic support.

I was always told that the better quality is always more generous with sizing.
I’ve generally found that to be true.
Apart from Sloggi knickers 🤯

I was always told that the better quality is always more generous with sizing.
I’ve generally found that to be true.
Apart from Sloggi knickers 🤯
You could always rely on Marks n' Sparks for that back in the day. Great when I was buying kids clothes back in the day, you always got a little bit of extra wear . I bought most of my kids clothes from there & BHS as their sizing was nice and generous too. Sizing is all over the place these days. I mostly buy size 12 and occasionally find a size 10 is a better fit. Recently I'd been looking around for a demin skirt for my summer holiday. I didn't want anything tight, torn and frayed and short enough to show what I had for breakfast. I eventually found just the thing in TKMaxx, it was labelled as a size 8 uk sizing, but anyone could see it was larger than that. I tried it on and it's a fairly generous size 12 imo. I think half of these manufacturers just guess!

Marks sizing is all over the place these days. I’ve recently bought trousers in a 12,10 and 8. It’s crazy and puts me off ordering online because I need to order quite a stack to try and get a fit. My local shop is quite small and has limited choice.

Waking from an evening of alcohol and curry abuse with the TV still on, I caught a clip (I made sure I threw it straight back at them) of her filmed with what may well have been a 2.1 megapixels camera in what appeared to be the changing room at the PDSA charity shop in Beeston. Holding out some flowered skirt from about 1977 that looked like it could be a loose fit on both Oliver Hardy and Stan Laurel together. At that point I had to rush for the lavatory so I don’t know what the outcome was.

You could always rely on Marks n' Sparks for that back in the day. Great when I was buying kids clothes back in the day, you always got a little bit of extra wear . I bought most of my kids clothes from there & BHS as their sizing was nice and generous too. Sizing is all over the place these days. I mostly buy size 12 and occasionally find a size 10 is a better fit. Recently I'd been looking around for a demin skirt for my summer holiday. I didn't want anything tight, torn and frayed and short enough to show what I had for breakfast. I eventually found just the thing in TKMaxx, it was labelled as a size 8 uk sizing, but anyone could see it was larger than that. I tried it on and it's a fairly generous size 12 imo. I think half of these manufacturers just guess!
When I got married my auntie’s friend made my wedding dress.
She was a machinist for M and S for donkeys years before the quality plummeted.
So I knew it would be good.

When I got married my auntie’s friend made my wedding dress.
She was a machinist for M and S for donkeys years before the quality plummeted.
So I knew it would be good.
Back in the day M&S had a ton of factories around the UK making their clothes and shoes. The quality was top-notch. It was easier for M&S to oversee the quality. Now the factories are across the world and I doubt they can do as frequent or thorough quality checks, and the fit models are going to be local to the factories not local to us. People are different shapes and sizes across the globe. Larger frames, longer legs, no buttocks, broader shoulders etc. It's not a surprise that you can no longer "shop your usual size".
Q brands' wayward sizing is harder to fathom when looking at their own brands, using the same factories and warehouses in China.

Good point MML. I think most 'fit' models are of an age where they don't suffer from expanding upper arms or menapausal bellies. So as I mentioned above, I find that a lot of fashion has tiny tiny armholes which may well have been modelled on a local Asian lady.

Good point MML. I think most 'fit' models are of an age where they don't suffer from expanding upper arms or menapausal bellies. So as I mentioned above, I find that a lot of fashion has tiny tiny armholes which may well have been modelled on a local Asian lady.
And let's face it, not all of us pur on weight in the same places. I have the arm fit problem but I know people who have skinny arms and legs and carry all their excess weight around their torsos. I know some who don't get a double chin and worse, while I get quite moon-faced.
When the bean counters tot up the costs, they just don't think... and normally when you carry more weight you need better quality: properly sewn hems, arms etc; better weight fabrics. Getting cheaper clothes is often a recipe for disaster... not to mention the fact you often pay higher prices!

Years ago I remember a documentary about a uk factory who produced M&S items. They often had the factory ladies model the samples for the buyers so that they could see how the fit was on various normal shapes. Obviously if they still do this it is the small Asian children they fit and then add on the odd 2 inches here and there to compensate. I have used M&S for my entire adult life and whilst I know I fluctuate in weight the sizing now is all over the place.

If I ever see a shop which stocks German brands I always take a look as they are usually generous fitting, however they tend to be made for giants lenghtwise.

And let's face it, not all of us pur on weight in the same places. I have the arm fit problem but I know people who have skinny arms and legs and carry all their excess weight around their torsos. I know some who don't get a double chin and worse, while I get quite moon-faced.
When the bean counters tot up the costs, they just don't think... and normally when you carry more weight you need better quality: properly sewn hems, arms etc; better weight fabrics. Getting cheaper clothes is often a recipe for disaster... not to mention the fact you often pay higher prices!

Yep, cheap clothes, bad fit, = throw away culture. Several years ago I travelled frequently to Switzerland - (a more expensive country in Europe would be hard to find), and there was no cheap fashion shops, women wore clothes that exuded quality and 'expense'. Its very much an outdoorsy society so walking brogues and hiking boots were easier to find than glam 4" heels. Therefore woman of all ages had fewer items in their wardrobe, but its quality.

Strangely I saw very few printed fabric garments or pastels or the bright jewel colours we see here. They wear a very muted pallette of blues / blacks / greys /creams. I notice this too when watching the Scandi dramas on tv - the characters never wear red or green or yellow, but the same colour pallette I mentioned above.

We must be the dustbin of Europe for the £2 teeshirt from Primark. Maybe some day all the youngsters banging on about climate change will look to their wardrobes and think again about the damage THEY are doing to the planet.

(I have several 'pieces' from Sahara - far from cheap, but nothing from them actually wears out !!!!)

Cotton Traders isn't everyone's cup of tea, however, Mr CC has bought shirts and trousers from there that he's had for over 10 years and they are still good (no polyester). The items he no longer wears have been sold on ebay or gone to charity. I've had a couple of linen mix tops that are really good (although I still think I'm far too young to buy from CT lol). Not cheap but last a long time.

CC

Latest posts

Back