Does Tarte sell

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I hate upselling! Superdrug are the worse along with the Post Office. You try to buy a stamp, and it's board band, insurance etc. Superdrug have stuff at the counter, and they always ask if you want to buy whatever, No! I always feel like saying no I am not interested before they even start. But I just let they ramble about whatever perfume is on offer, body spray etc.
I had friends who worked in Debenhams for a number of years. Now, we are talking about 6 or 7 years as then left. But at staff meetings they were told to push the store card and their jobs might depend on how well they did. Not their sales figures for their brands but how many store cards they could get customers to sign up to. The store manager even had a wall chart showing which staff did well and those who did not.
I hate upselling too!
BHS staff had targets too to push the store cards.

Before the pandemic our Marks was really really pushy at upselling store cards/bank account/insurance.

What really got on my chesticles was it was all happening at the tills whilst the queue was getting longer and longer as it wasn’t just a case of “Special offer on chocolate buttons today” but the full spiel on the many benefits etc.

I had friends who worked in Debenhams for a number of years. Now, we are talking about 6 or 7 years as then left. But at staff meetings they were told to push the store card and their jobs might depend on how well they did. Not their sales figures for their brands but how many store cards they could get customers to sign up to. The store manager even had a wall chart showing which staff did well and those who did not.
We used to have an area manager sent the 'email of shame' to all the stores in her area every morning.

It was a list with every staff member's name and their upselling results, if you were at the top you were her 'pet' and woe betide you if you were near the bottom too often.

The flaw in her cunning plan was that there were some that were so scared about being at the bottom they had all sorts of fiddles to boost their scores and there the cynical ones that made a point of being at the bottom as a silent protest (not that I would ever do that ;))

Before the pandemic our Marks was really really pushy at upselling store cards/bank account/insurance.

What really got on my chesticles was it was all happening at the tills whilst the queue was getting longer and longer as it wasn’t just a case of “Special offer on chocolate buttons today” but the full spiel on the many benefits etc.
Oh yes, M&S I used to tell them I was bankrupt. The look on their face at the till.:ROFLMAO:

Yes, I'm sure they have a baseline "performance" expected, by time of day, type of product, and average viewership for the time of day.
The more aggressive they become, the more they return to some products shown already, the more you feel they are struggling to hit the mark.
Just as you know that the things which they have the deepest stock of will be the ones they demo the most.
At one time if the guest or presenter was wearing something that would sell out fast, often before they got to it in the colour worn. Now not so much.
With so much of what they sell they are neither offering what their loyal customers would like to wear, nor what their desired customer prefers...and often not only the presenter and guest look awful, but the slim leggy models too.
Some customers will buy because they like the presenter or guest, or because they are heavily brand loyal ..but even they will think again if being let down by the product in their hands happens often enough.
Ben di Lisi and Ghost have been dropped by QVC recently. I remember di Lisi saying how 'humbled' he felt when QVC asked him to sell his fashions. He's feeling a different kind of humble now, poor man ! Ghost didn't catch on with the QVC shoppers, either, in spite of it being presented by the smooth talking financial wizard from Dragons' Den.

Ben di Lisi and Ghost have been dropped by QVC recently. I remember di Lisi saying how 'humbled' he felt when QVC asked him to sell his fashions. He's feeling a different kind of humble now, poor man ! Ghost didn't catch on with the QVC shoppers, either, in spite of it being presented by the smooth talking financial wizard from Dragons' Den.
He was also involved with Debenhams, so he hasn't had a good start to 2021. I remember his project to redesign hospital gowns, although the poor souls who've been shown in hospital over the last year seem to be in the ones the NHS has always used.

He was also involved with Debenhams, so he hasn't had a good start to 2021. I remember his project to redesign hospital gowns, although the poor souls who've been shown in hospital over the last year seem to be in the ones the NHS has always used.
I wonder if he would have designed the fastenings on the hospital gowns so that they didn't expose the backsides of people when they got out of bed and walked somewhere. It's bad enough being in hospital and having to wear one of those things without the indignity of showing your bum to everyone.

Latest posts

Back